Trickey problem overiding on-board card with a PCI card.

Trickey problem overiding on-board card with a PCI card.

Post by Eric Lefle » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I just went through the install of RH51 on my bosses Gateway2000 E3000
which has a Intel P233 motherboard with a built-in 2Mb ATI
RageII+DVD graphics card. The problem here is that we need more video
ram
and ordered the machine with a 4Mb PCI version of the same card.
According
to Gateway, the built-in card automatically disables if another graphics
card is plugged into a PCI slot. This seems to be the case since there
is no
video output coming from the on-board video.  However, although RH51
setup
detected the card and installed the correct driver(XF86_Mach64), X
complains
that "none of the configured devices were found." If we pull the 4Mb PCI
card then X works just fine.

Here is the strange thing, 95 and NT both see the 4Mb card when
installed on
this machine and seems to work as expected. So, I don't suspect a bad
card.

My workstation at work (running Caldera 1.1) is the same exact Gw2K with
the
same 4Mb ATI PCI card and works like a champ. I tried copying over both
XF86_Mach64 along with my config file to the RH5.1 machine. This failed
as
well with the same error. It seems to me that somehow, the on-board
video is
not correctly disabled and X is getting confused. We have tried draining
the
NVRAM on the machine to force it to re-detect the state of the video
cards
-- I somehow remember doing this on my machine at some point. But this
did
not fix the problem. We have also compared the jumpers on both
motherboards
and they match exactly. Gateway tech support insists that the on-bord
card
is disabled.

At this point I am out of Ideas. What are some other things I can
do to debug this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

------------------------------------
Eric Lefler

UC Davis, CVDLS Information Systems

1. Problem With On-board Video Card For Intel Desktop Board D865GBF

Hi,

Has anybody managed to install Debian on the Intel Desktop Board
DB865GBF Motherboard and successfully run either Gnome, KDE or X
Windows?

When attempting to run one of these I get errors due to incorrect
specifications of the graphics card.

If so could you please let me know the settings.  I've tried every
setting under the sun with no success.

Cheers,
Matt

2. PPP over a ricochet modem

3. On-Board video vs PCI video card: can linux recognize?

4. partition table lost

5. installing linux on the motherboard with on-board AGP+ PCI graphic card.

6. find host from which I've did rlogin.

7. RH6.0, Cirrus GD5434 on-board video card problems

8. DHCP to static

9. Compaq on-board sound-card

10. XFree86 with Intel(r) on-board display card

11. Missing on-board memory on Diamond's Ultra TNT2 card (32MB)

12. How to disable on-board video card to add another one?

13. advice needed--on-board video card