Anyone out there with a RedHat installation success story?

Anyone out there with a RedHat installation success story?

Post by JT » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I'm planning to build a low cost (under $600) RedHat system and need advise
as to all components (the entire enchilade - as we say here in Texas).
 I am hopping to hear from someone who has simply followed the RH
installation instructions and  finally shutdown with a smile.  Is there
anyone out there with this experience or is this system as cantankerous as
most sites seem to indicate.  I'm hopping to setup as many as 1000 machines
per year and that why I'm looking for simplicity.  I have an opportunity to
disrupt the Microsoft tax system on a corporate level but I need help to do
it.

If you can help please document every component in detail.  This system
requires the following options: sound card, CD ROM and 56k modem.

Additionally I must incorporate a touch screen which I think few of you have
experience with.

Thanks all

James

Thank you
JIM

Post by John Thompso » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I'm planning to build a low cost (under $600) RedHat system and need advise
> as to all components (the entire enchilade - as we say here in Texas).
>  I am hopping to hear from someone who has simply followed the RH
> installation instructions and  finally shutdown with a smile.  Is there
> anyone out there with this experience or is this system as cantankerous as
> most sites seem to indicate.  I'm hopping to setup as many as 1000 machines
> per year and that why I'm looking for simplicity.  I have an opportunity to
> disrupt the Microsoft tax system on a corporate level but I need help to do
> it.

> If you can help please document every component in detail.  This system
> requires the following options: sound card, CD ROM and 56k modem.

> Additionally I must incorporate a touch screen which I think few of you have
> experience with.

I have installed RedHat on two machines so far and was
impressed at how easily it installed each time.  The first
was RH 5.0 on a 5x86/133 with 32MB, SCSI HD, CDROM and tape,
and S3 VLB video and a Newcomm 33.6 modem.  I didn't bother
with sound on that machine.

The second (only a few short months later) was RH5.1 on a
P2/350 with 128MB and IDE HD, CDROM and tape and a Cardinal
56k modem. I did have trouble with the tape drive and kernel
2.0.34 but going to kernel 2.2.1 solved that.  Sound only
required a minor tweak: the sndconfig program wouldn't let
me choose the proper IRQ for the sound board, so I just
manually edited /etc/conf.modules to put it right.

If you're looking to set up multiple identical machines you
might want to burn your own installation CD once you get it
working on one machine.

--

Anyone out there with a RedHat installation success story?

Post by Jeraime » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

PII 350
96M PC100 RAM
Intel Seattle BX-II Motherboard
Maxtor 7 Gig HHD (Pri. Master) [win98]
Samsung (branded) 4.3 Gig (Pri. Slave) [linux]
Hitiachi 32x CD-ROM (Sec. Master)
Samsung (from a kit) DVD-ROM (Sec. Slave)
Hi-Val (huh huh) DVD Card (I forget wich one) (not used / seen in Linux)
ATI All-in-Wonder Pro (PCI w/ 8M)
Sound Blaster Live (not seen by Linux)
Enoniq Audio PCI
3com 509c NiC
Paralell Port ZipDrive
Epson 800 Color Printer
brand X FDD
MS Intellimouse
MS Natural Keyboard

Now, granted - the SBLive and DVD Card isn't used - and I'm a$$ed out of the
kick *features of the ATI card (Thanks ATI) - but.... I installed and
was running Linux Mandrake (or) RH5.2  in 1 hour (with smoke breaks).

>I'm planning to build a low cost (under $600) RedHat system and need advise
>as to all components (the entire enchilade - as we say here in Texas).
> I am hopping to hear from someone who has simply followed the RH
>installation instructions and  finally shutdown with a smile.  Is there
>anyone out there with this experience or is this system as cantankerous as
>most sites seem to indicate.  I'm hopping to setup as many as 1000 machines
>per year and that why I'm looking for simplicity.  I have an opportunity to
>disrupt the Microsoft tax system on a corporate level but I need help to do
>it.

>If you can help please document every component in detail.  This system
>requires the following options: sound card, CD ROM and 56k modem.

>Additionally I must incorporate a touch screen which I think few of you
have
>experience with.

>Thanks all

>James

>Thank you
>JIM

Anyone out there with a RedHat installation success story?

Post by Robert H. Thompso » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

For a cheap system check this out:

Intel Pentium 200 Mhz
64 MB Ram
11.5 GB Maxtor hard drive
Trident PCI SVGA video card with 1mb video memory
16x Lite-On CD-Rom
No Name Pentium motherboard picked up at a computer show
IBM 15" SVGA monitor
Mitsumi 1.44 floppy
Netcom 33.3 kbps PCI modem

Networking:

No name 5 port network in a box
No name NE2000 compatible NIC

total system cost: $700. The most expensive item was the Maxtor hard
drive and I caught it on sale last summer for under $250. The monitor
was from a close out vendor. Granted it could probably be put together
nowadays for a little less. This system was built over the course of a
year. As I had some spare cash I invested in some parts and put it
together. The system runs RedHat5.2 Linux and is networked with a Win95
box for a soho (small office/home office). I caught RedHat5.2 on sale at
Border's Bookstore over the Thanksgiving holidays for $29.00 and decided
to take the plunge. I had WinNT 4.0 with service pack 3 installed
previously. Since I have installed Linux I have not looked back. With
help from the various mailing lists and investment in a couple of books
my system has been up in its current configuration since Christmas.

I've had to play with the configurations. Read plenty of the
documentation and talk to as many folks running Linux as you can. I
ended up installing Linux about four times to determine the best
configuration and options. You can probably get it done in an hour or
two. Make sure that you know all that you can about your hardware, the
interrupts it uses, your video card and your sound card. I currently
don't have sound installed but that may be next. Check out the HOWTo's
online and the hardware compatibility listings. Linux seems to lag
behind the majority operating systems release of drivers by about 12 to
18 months. So no USB support as far as I know about.

It can be done and it is well worth it. I wish you much success in your
endeavors.

Rob Thompson

> PII 350
> 96M PC100 RAM
> Intel Seattle BX-II Motherboard
> Maxtor 7 Gig HHD (Pri. Master) [win98]
> Samsung (branded) 4.3 Gig (Pri. Slave) [linux]
> Hitiachi 32x CD-ROM (Sec. Master)
> Samsung (from a kit) DVD-ROM (Sec. Slave)
> Hi-Val (huh huh) DVD Card (I forget wich one) (not used / seen in Linux)
> ATI All-in-Wonder Pro (PCI w/ 8M)
> Sound Blaster Live (not seen by Linux)
> Enoniq Audio PCI
> 3com 509c NiC
> Paralell Port ZipDrive
> Epson 800 Color Printer
> brand X FDD
> MS Intellimouse
> MS Natural Keyboard

> Now, granted - the SBLive and DVD Card isn't used - and I'm a$$ed out of the
> kick *features of the ATI card (Thanks ATI) - but.... I installed and
> was running Linux Mandrake (or) RH5.2  in 1 hour (with smoke breaks).

> >I'm planning to build a low cost (under $600) RedHat system and need advise
> >as to all components (the entire enchilade - as we say here in Texas).
> > I am hopping to hear from someone who has simply followed the RH
> >installation instructions and  finally shutdown with a smile.  Is there
> >anyone out there with this experience or is this system as cantankerous as
> >most sites seem to indicate.  I'm hopping to setup as many as 1000 machines
> >per year and that why I'm looking for simplicity.  I have an opportunity to
> >disrupt the Microsoft tax system on a corporate level but I need help to do
> >it.

> >If you can help please document every component in detail.  This system
> >requires the following options: sound card, CD ROM and 56k modem.

> >Additionally I must incorporate a touch screen which I think few of you
> have
> >experience with.

> >Thanks all

> >James

> >Thank you
> >JIM

Anyone out there with a RedHat installation success story?

Post by Michael J Welker J » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Here's a configuration for you;

Dual Pentium II 233MHz
Tyan Tiger 100 (No onboard SCSI)
128 MB RAM
Adaptec AAA-133 (Running as 3 standard aic-78xx, hardware RAID isn't working
yet)
3 IBM SCSI/UW 4.3 GB HDD
2 Seagate Hawk 4.2 GB HDD
NumberNine Revolution 3D AGP
3c905b
OPTi931 Sound
USR 56K Voice/Data/Fax ISA modem

RH 5.0/5.1 install with no problem.  OSSFree doesn't support this sound card, so
I'm ordering the commercial driver (eval worked fine).  The USR is PnP, use
setserial(rc.serial) to set the correct IRQ.

Of course, following install, I recompile a custom kernel to support SMP and
disable the used portions.

Running 2.2.1 now, It flies.

Life doesn't get much better than this!

Y2K is solved, now what do we do about Why2K?

Mike

> I'm planning to build a low cost (under $600) RedHat system and need advise
> as to all components (the entire enchilade - as we say here in Texas).
>  I am hopping to hear from someone who has simply followed the RH
> installation instructions and  finally shutdown with a smile.  Is there
> anyone out there with this experience or is this system as cantankerous as
> most sites seem to indicate.  I'm hopping to setup as many as 1000 machines
> per year and that why I'm looking for simplicity.  I have an opportunity to
> disrupt the Microsoft tax system on a corporate level but I need help to do
> it.

> If you can help please document every component in detail.  This system
> requires the following options: sound card, CD ROM and 56k modem.

> Additionally I must incorporate a touch screen which I think few of you have
> experience with.

> Thanks all

> James

> Thank you
> JIM

Anyone out there with a RedHat installation success story?

Post by brando » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Just remember that RedHat has NO support for ISDN!!

1. RedHat installation success story?

[...]

2. scan downloads on the fly vor virus ?

3. Redhat 4.0 SUCCESS Story

4. Sound card recommendations

5. RedHat 5.0 Success Story

6. tar: 0511-180 can't tar files with prwxrwxrwx attributes???

7. RedHat CD installation on G3 - any success out there?

8. Newbie Apache 1.2.5 graphix question...

9. Success in installation of KDE with RedHat 5.0 for Intel ( Hurricane )

10. Installation Bitching (really long installation story)

11. 7200-any linux success stories to share??

12. CA-Unicenter success stories - ?????

13. HP Colorado 5 or 8 GB success story, anybody?