Any reason to avoid VAResearch or Penguin Computing?

Any reason to avoid VAResearch or Penguin Computing?

Post by Michael Huck » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I'd also be very interested in people's opinions on this issue.

I've been doing some price comparisons between the Linux systems builders,
and at least based on what I've seen, IMHO the custom configurations by
Penguin Systems appear to be more expensive than what you can get through
aslab.com or apache.com.  I base this opinion purely on the prices that I got
by trying to configure a similar system using each of the web-based forms
that these vendors offer; I have not purchased from any of them and so cannot
speak for their quality or service.

I especially like apache.com's custom system configurator; it offers a large
number of choices and it's easy to use.  (The downside is that you have to
know what components you want.)

For those people who have bought from any of these places -- what is your
opinion of them?  Are there other, better places from which to order custom
configurations?

  rclang> I need to build a 200 user Samba server asap and browsed up to VA
  rclang> Research and Penguin computing. Both seem OK, have heard more about
  rclang> VA but Penguin points out that VA's usage of Mylex controllers
  rclang> isn't as fast or wise as using ICP, ... and from what I've heard
  rclang> they are right. But that may not make Penguin Computing the right
  rclang> choice.

Post by Gabriel L. Soml » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> well, with VA and mylex, you have access (I would assume) to Len Z., who
> -wrote- the driver for all the buslogic/mylex cards (for linux).  and I would
> guess that a paying customer would get priority if he ran into a problem with
> a mylex board.

I have to second that. I have a BT958, am a non-paying type of guy :)
and whenever I had a problem (twice, actually) I emailed L.Z. and he
responded within a couple of hours, and fixed my problem each time.

Gotta face it, the guy is extraordinary - he manages to maintain the
driver, make a living, AND answer to every poor shmoe like myself who
has a problem.

On a side note - I haven't seen BusLogic/Mylex cards advertised in
places like the Computer Shopper anymore (that's how I got mine in
97). What happenned ?

Gabriel

Post by Rodney Clan » Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I need to build a 200 user Samba server asap and browsed up to VA
Research and Penguin computing. Both seem OK, have heard more about VA
but Penguin points out that VA's usage of Mylex controllers isn't as
fast or wise as using ICP, ... and from what I've heard they are right.
But that may not make Penguin Computing the right choice.

Maybe I build my own from clone vendor?

Thoughts and experiences please?
I have deploye 50 workstations and found clones to be BETTER because I
can chose what I put in them. But I am chicken with servers and maybe
wrongfully so ?

Thanks,
Rod

--
Rodney Clang            "People get annoyed when you try to debug
Lewan & Associates  them."   --Larry Wall

Post by BL » Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:00:00

well, with VA and mylex, you have access (I would assume) to Len Z., who
-wrote- the driver for all the buslogic/mylex cards (for linux).  and I would
guess that a paying customer would get priority if he ran into a problem with
a mylex board.

so even if mylex isn't the fastest (may or may not be - don't know), having
access to an experienced driver writer is worth -something-, don't you think?

ymmv, of course.

: I need to build a 200 user Samba server asap and browsed up to VA
: Research and Penguin computing. Both seem OK, have heard more about VA
: but Penguin points out that VA's usage of Mylex controllers isn't as
: fast or wise as using ICP, ... and from what I've heard they are right.
: But that may not make Penguin Computing the right choice.

: Maybe I build my own from clone vendor?

: Thoughts and experiences please?
: I have deploye 50 workstations and found clones to be BETTER because I
: can chose what I put in them. But I am chicken with servers and maybe
: wrongfully so ?

: Thanks,
: Rod

: --

Post by Robert C. Paulsen, Jr » Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I need to build a 200 user Samba server asap and browsed up to VA
> Research and Penguin computing. Both seem OK, have heard more about VA
> but Penguin points out that VA's usage of Mylex controllers isn't as
> fast or wise as using ICP, ... and from what I've heard they are right.

I would highly recommend Mylex. I have a BusLogic 946C and have in the
past received excellent response from Mylex when I had a question --
once, when I was having a performance problem, they sent me a new BIOS
chip (in the end it was not a problem with the card or its BIOS).

When I first started using Linux a few years back I had a bunch of
beginner questions (and I still do!). Leonard Zubkoff was kind enough to
carry on a somewhat extensive e-mail conversation with me explaining
Linux, Windows, SCSI and various implementations and design trade-offs.
Based on this I bought my BusLogic 946C. It has proved to be rock solid.
When I upgrade to UW someday you can bet I will go to Mylex.

Robert Paulsen                         http://paulsen.home.texas.net
If my return address contains "ZAP." please remove it. Sorry for the
inconvenience but the unsolicited email is getting out of control.

Any reason to avoid VAResearch or Penguin Computing?

Post by Salvatore Restiv » Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I just upgraded from a BT946C to a BT958UW.  I have been and continue to
be a happy Buslogic/Mylex customer for the same reason.  Many thanks to LZ
for great driver work and multi-platform support.

: Based on this I bought my BusLogic 946C. It has proved to be rock solid.
: When I upgrade to UW someday you can bet I will go to Mylex.

--
Salvatore Restivo

Any reason to avoid VAResearch or Penguin Computing?

Post by Rodney Clan » Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Very good to know,
Thank you!