IBM Thinkpad 701C Install

Post by Richard D. McRober » Sun, 22 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: Help!

: I've got an IBM Thinkpad 701C Notebook fresh off the production line.
: Its got 16MB ram and a 720MB HD.  I'm trying to get a disk to boot in it.

: I've done this at the boot prompt: ramdisk floppy=thinkpad, and I get this:

: boot: ramdisk floppy=thinkpad
: Error 0x10
:  boot: ramdisk floppy=thinkpad

I don't have any personal experience, but I'm interested in this question
and found the following recent article, which probably has expired at
your site.  Hope it helps.

Begin attachment:

From news-2.csn.net!csn!nntp-xfer-2.csn.net!yuma!purdue!lerc.nasa.gov!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!uwm.edu!chi-news.cic.net!newsfeed.internetmci.com!bloom-beacon.mit.edu!senator-bedfellow.mit.edu!tuna.mit.edu!not-for-mail Sat Oct 21 04:52
:27 1995

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux on Thinkpad 701C?
Date: 10 Oct 1995 21:32:37 -0400

>I am considering installing linux on an IBM Thinkpad 701C laptop
>(Butterfly). I like to know if anybody has done such installation
>successfully.

Since this seems to have expired at your site:

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Re: Thinkpad 701c & Linux?
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 18:05:26 GMT

>I've seen the occasional post from people running at least the textual
>portions of Linux on an IBM Thinkpad 701 (the "butterfly" machine).  With
>the most recent round of price cuts, I've been entertaining the idea of
>replacing my Thinkpad 500 with a 701, but I do have some concerns about
>this machine and Linux.  I would be most grateful to hear from folks
>running this combination.  In particular:
>Does the 701 require the same swing-a-dead-chicken-over-your-head
>installation as most of the other Thinkpads?  That was one nice bit with
>the 500... one could just use the common install disks.
>Does XFree86 work with the internal display?  If so, are the 16-bit or
>rumored 24-bit capabilities supported?  Could someone perhaps post the
>pertinent sections of their XF86Config file?
>I take it things like the DSP-based modem and audio, or the IrDa port,
>are out of the question?  I already have a PCMCIA modem anyway if the
>built-in one won't work, but have heard that the expanding keyboard might
>block XJack-type modems.  Any ideas?
>Anything else I should know about that I'm not already familiar with from
>the 500?
>Thanks much for any feedback you could provide.
>--
>      Phillip Burgess    |  "It's a Cretaceous highway of information, all

Hi Phil,

  I've been running Linux on my Butterfly with no problems at all.  I
used the standard Slackware 2.3 install disks.  After installation, I
added the PCMCIA drivers to get my Panasonic KXL-D720 CDROM drive
working (via a New Media Bus-Toaster SCSI card), and my 3com 53C589
PCMCIA Ethernet card also works fine.  I use DIP to dial up to my
Internet service provider via PPP using the internal modem (BTW - it's
*not* DSP based like the newer 755 series - it's a standard 14.4K
internal fax modem).  Also, the Linux soundblaster support works fine
with the internal ESS688 chip (soundblaster-register-compatible).  I'm
running XFree 3.1.2 on both the LCD with hardware panning and an

not seem to support 16- or 24-bit color (yet).  I have not tried to
use the IrDA capabilities under Linux, but the IR port *can* be set up
to act as a standard serial port running at up to 115200bps.  Hope
this helps....

--Jim Lee
John H. Kim        "A common mistake that people make when trying to design

End of Attachment
Hope this helps.

Duff McRoberts

1. Installing Linux Redhat onto an IBM 701C thinkpad using a parallel port CD-ROM

Yeah, well the subject line pretty much covers it. I have a Shuttle Technology
EPSA-2 Parallel port  to SCSI CD-Rom drive interface and I have downloaded the
drivers for it epsa.c (.h too) and now what do I do?

Need I install the disc using DOS first, then compile the kernal (how?) to
enable me to continue using the cd-rom or is there an easier method?

Has anyone else set up a Thinkpad 701C for Linux?

Thanks!

The last experience I had with Unix was working a bit with Coherent, but that
was five or more years ago...before cd-roms, and I never compiled a new kernal.

John :-#)#

2. Safe strings library in C?

3. Linux 1.2.1 on IBM 701C ThinkPad

4. change login name

5. installation on an IBM thinkpad 701c

6. 'su' supplemental group problems

7. XF86Config for IBM Thinkpad 701C

8. ppp vs slip

9. IBM SCSI/IBM ThinkPad install problem in Slackware 2.2

10. 2.7 on thinkpad 701c does not detect wd0

11. X on a ThinkPad 701C?

12. Linux on Thinkpad{701C,365CD}

13. Linux on Thinkpad 701C?