Losing it over Philips CDRW2412A...

Losing it over Philips CDRW2412A...

Post by stone » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:54:58



Hi, all,

Got a deal (?) on this CDRW, but don't grasp something
here. cdrecord - scanbus finds it at scsi 0,0,0.

Using cdrecord to write a Memorex CD-RW at speed 4
writes and produces an error at fixation. Writing
a 24x Philips CD-R at speed 12 both writes,
fixates, and verifies tracks (with xcdroast).

My main question - where to find this thing to mount
it?  Using RH 7.2 with kernel 2.4.18, I see in dmesg

hdc: PHILIPS CDRW2412A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

and later,

scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: PHILIPS   Model: CDRW2412A         Rev: P1.5
  Type:   CD-ROM  

(Some other users' message have said WHERE the device
is the /dev hierarchy. This doesn't.)

The device does not seem to appear at /dev/scdx,
/dev/sgx, or another of the other numerous /dev/s*
that I've tried.

cat /proc/devices gives this interesting, confusing
information:

Block devices:
  2 fd
  3 ide0
 22 ide1

A second harddrive is on ide1 - I've tried it with
both the hardrive and the CDRW as master/slave with
the same result.

/sbin/lsmod shows this:

sg                     25316   0  (autoclean)
ide-scsi                7712   0
scsi_mod               82440   2  [sg ide-scsi]
ide-cd                 26880   0
cdrom                  27648   0  [ide-cd]

Should the ide-cd and cdrom stuff even be loading?
Well, cdrecord -scanbus -prcap dev=0,0,0

lists a bunch of good-sounding capabilities and
prints:

Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW

Finally, using strace cdrecord -scanbus shows
a bunch of ENXIO returns for /dev/sg1 to sg15.

Any help greatly appreciated as my old CDROM,
an ancient NEC changer that was a brave, brave
old soldier, is finally going home on its
shield. Thanks, all.

Stoney

 
 
 

Losing it over Philips CDRW2412A...

Post by Dances With Crow » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:35:43


On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 18:54:58 -0500, stoney staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:> cdrecord - scanbus finds it at scsi 0,0,0.  My main question - where
> to find this thing to mount it?

> The device does not seem to appear at /dev/scdx, /dev/sgx, or another
> of the other numerous /dev/s* that I've tried.

> sg                     25316   0  (autoclean)
> ide-scsi                7712   0
> scsi_mod               82440   2  [sg ide-scsi]
> ide-cd                 26880   0
> cdrom                  27648   0  [ide-cd]

> Should the ide-cd and cdrom stuff even be loading?  Well, cdrecord
> -scanbus -prcap dev=0,0,0

Since you have ide-scsi in and you can successfully write to the thing,
things are looking good.  The device should be on /dev/scd0 or /dev/sr0.

If SCSI CD-ROM support is not built in to your kernel, you need to
have the sr_mod module loaded.  Default Redhat kernels always have SCSI
support (scsi_mod in your lsmod output) compiled directly into the
kernel, so I can only assume you compiled your own kernel and forgot to
put sr_mod support in.  Do that--it's under SCSI Support->SCSI CD-ROM
Support, set it to "M", save changes, make modules modules_install ,
depmod -a and try mounting /dev/scd0 or /dev/sr0 again.  HTH,

--
Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
http://www.brainbench.com     /  "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/    penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

 
 
 

Losing it over Philips CDRW2412A...

Post by stone » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:25:28


LOL, Matt. That did it for the mounting! THANK YOU. I now
have this drive mounted. However... I obviously did not
write what I thought I was writing to the drive -- I
seem to have simply copied the cd_image to it - all
542 megs of it! Hmm, this will require a bit more study,
I see. However, I suppose I could mount the image on
the CD in the mounted drive...since I could mount it
from my hard drive. :-)

Well, back to the drawing board, but you helped
immensely with my biggest head scratcher. Thanks!

Stoney


> If SCSI CD-ROM support is not built in to your kernel, you need to have
> the sr_mod module loaded.  Default Redhat kernels always have SCSI
> support (scsi_mod in your lsmod output) compiled directly into the
> kernel, so I can only assume you compiled your own kernel and forgot to
> put sr_mod support in.  Do that--it's under SCSI Support->SCSI CD-ROM
> Support, set it to "M", save changes, make modules modules_install ,
> depmod -a and try mounting /dev/scd0 or /dev/sr0 again.  HTH,