Linux On Compaq Proliant 2000

Post by Patrick McManu » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

I know this question has come up before, but haanyone successfully installed
any version of Linux on a Proliant 2000, without disabling the on-board NCR
SCSI controller? If so, hyou also managed to enable multiprocessor support?

I have one of these beasts with dual 486-50 processors, 4GB of disk space
and 32 MB of RAM and I'm itching to install something more useful than NT on
it.

Patrick McManus

Linux On Compaq Proliant 2000

Post by Jeroen Roodhar » Fri, 08 May 1998 04:00:00

Well, I'm not sure about the 2000, but for the 800 the 53c8XX drivers worked.
At least for version 2.0.32, out of the box using Redhat 5.0

I compiled 2.0.33 today, and it seemed to recognize the SCSI driver OK, but
then it couldn't mount the root file system. the 2.0.32 kernel installation that
came
with 5.0, uses an initrd image to boot and then probably mounts the filesystem.
(A problem similar as the IDE case described in the LILO mini howto?)

I'll get to that one next week, when I understand the SCSI boot process a bit
better ;-)

Good luck!

Jeroen Roodhart