Conner 1060S

Post by John Stebbin » Sat, 28 Jan 1995 00:34:52

> : Hello there,

> : Sorry for wasting bandwidth. I've a conner 1060S harddisk and I've
> : problem install linux on it. I know that somebody has encountered
> : the same problem and posed the related info. in the newsgroup.
> : However, I've missed the solution. Could anybody help and repost the
> : solution and related materials or send me a email at

> I don't know what your problem is, but I'm having one of my own. I already
> have Linux installed and I'm trying to add Linux partitions on a newly
> installed CFP1060S. The problem is that I can't mkfs extended partitions!
> No problems with primary partitions. Is this a general limitation of
> Linux or am I missing something?

> --
> The above is a result of random neuron activity in the writer's brain.

Anyone wanting to use a CFP1060 drive with linux should check the
revision number on the microcode of the drive.  It is printed on a
stick on label on one of the chips on the underside of the drive.
Conner supplies an upgrade that can be performed without removing
the drive from the machine for versions between 1.62 and 1.68.  I
downloaded it from their BBS (I don't have that number with me at
the moment, sorry).

Here is a post that was made about the problem a couple weeks ago:

During the past few weeks, we got several calls from customers stating
that they had severe problems with Conner CFP1060x 1GB SCSI drives
using the Linux operating system. Symptoms were corrupt filesystems
(damaged inodes) reported by e2fsck on each system boot and similar
errors.

There is now a fix available for customers with a CFP1060x (microcode
revisions 9WA1.62/1.66/1.68) and Linux. To apply the upgrade, you
will need a DOS boot disk and ASPI drivers that can access the hard
drive. The upgrade downloads new queuing and lookahead code into the
non-volatile SCSI RAM of the drive.

If you are experiencing problems with a disk that has microcode
revision 9WA1.60, you will have to contact your nearest Conner service
centre to get the disk upgraded. The microcode revision can be found
on the label of the drive and on the underside of the drive on a label
on one of the ICs.

If you are confident that you can perform the upgrade yourself, please
contact Conner Technical Support and have your microcode revision
ready. Conner Technical Support Europe can be reached on +44-1294-315333,
Conner Technical Support in the USA can be reached on 1-800-4CONNER.

Regards
Soenke Behrens
European Technical Support

John Stebbins

Conner 1060S

Post by Toon van der P » Mon, 30 Jan 1995 21:02:41

>If you are confident that you can perform the upgrade yourself, please
>contact Conner Technical Support and have your microcode revision
>ready. Conner Technical Support Europe can be reached on +44-1294-315333,
>Conner Technical Support in the USA can be reached on 1-800-4CONNER.

>Regards
>Soenke Behrens
>European Technical Support

>John Stebbins

Don't you have an FTP-site where one could fetch the patch?

Regards,
Toon van der Pas.
--
Toon van der Pas                                     Tel. : +31(3403)53162

3994 WP  Houten                                      Fax  : +31(3403)40901

1. Conner 1060S HD, 2.4 x86 failure! HELP....

Has *anyone* been able to load Solaris 2.4 x86 onto a Conner 1060S 1 GB
SCSI HD?

The setup is an  AST 486/33 Bravo with 16 MB, an Adaptec 1542CF and the
Conner with the machines BIOS turned off, the Adpatec card reset to defaults,
(Extended BIOS translation is disabled as is Dynamic scan SCSI BUS, as
well as BIOS support for more than 2 drives),  except for DMA channel set to
6 as stated in the Solaris guide.

Now the problem.  After the install is completed, Solaris reboots and upon
coming up it complains about /etc/init.d. Looking at the directory with
ls -a comes back with ". not found".  At this point if I reboot /etc
gets more corrupt until on the third reboot fsck fails and the ufs
filesystem is shot. Running fsck manually wipes out all of /etc until
the sytem is useless.

This happens like clockwork each of the 3 times I have attempted
to install Solaris.

I have done this using update4 disks as well as the original.

The system comes up and its a running system, only the /etc/init.d
directory is corrupt.

I used the Adpatec 1542CF card to Low Level format the drive.

Now what??? The drive is 2 days old and I'm not sure what to do.

*Any* help would be appreciated as this drive is for my home setup
and has come out of my pocket.

--
Regards,

2. Installing portions of Open Server 3.0

3. Inode errors on Conner 1060S/Adaptec 1542CF-HELP

4. socket accept/close question

5. Conner 1060S

6. ModemProblem

7. Anyone using Conner 1060S/Adaptec 1542CF-HELP

8. file restoration for lotus 1-2-3

9. Conner CFP 1060S SCSI-HD Bug

10. Connor 1060S & Corruption

11. Conner CTMS 3200 + Adaptec 1522A now working!

12. EIDE + 850Mb Conner = Hassles...

13. FTAPE & Conner Tape Drive Problem...