KWINTV Problem: Operation not supported by device??

KWINTV Problem: Operation not supported by device??

Post by swan_dan.. » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

I am having trouble running KWINTV with my Avermedia Tv Tuner.

Here are the particulars:

-The tuner works fine under windows.
-Kwintv Compiles and installs fine.
-MAKEDEV in kwintv Source tree is executed.
-Video4Linux is compiled into Kernel, bttv.o compiled as module.
-bttv.o module is loaded into Kernel.

When I execute kwintv, I am told:  /dev/video: Operation not supported
by device.  /dev/video is symlinked to /dev/video0, which has a
major/minor number of 81, 0.

As far as I've read, I'd done everything correct... why isn't this
working?!?!?   If I can't watch TV under linux, I may have to quit
Linux altogether, and just return to watching TV.

Any help appreciated,
Dan.

KWINTV Problem: Operation not supported by device??

Post by Roman Rong » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi Dan,

It looks like your bttv is not loaded when kwintv starts. Try to load
it using insmod.
BTW. I have the same card and running RH5.2.0.36. Dou have any problems
with your sound chip not being properly recognized and strange colors (
bright spots like if you are looking at negative picture ) when using
overlay mode ?

Roman

> I am having trouble running KWINTV with my Avermedia Tv Tuner.

> Here are the particulars:

> -The tuner works fine under windows.
> -Kwintv Compiles and installs fine.
> -MAKEDEV in kwintv Source tree is executed.
> -Video4Linux is compiled into Kernel, bttv.o compiled as module.
> -bttv.o module is loaded into Kernel.

> When I execute kwintv, I am told:  /dev/video: Operation not supported
> by device.  /dev/video is symlinked to /dev/video0, which has a
> major/minor number of 81, 0.

> As far as I've read, I'd done everything correct... why isn't this
> working?!?!?   If I can't watch TV under linux, I may have to quit
> Linux altogether, and just return to watching TV.

> Any help appreciated,
> Dan.

KWINTV Problem: Operation not supported by device??

Post by swan_dan.. » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi Dan,

> It looks like your bttv is not loaded when kwintv starts. Try to load
> it using insmod.
> BTW. I have the same card and running RH5.2.0.36. Dou have any
problems
> with your sound chip not being properly recognized and strange colors
(
> bright spots like if you are looking at negative picture ) when using
> overlay mode ?

Well, truth be told, colors look ok, but other issues (Displaced screen,
core dumping) have forced me to use Xawtv, which for the most part works
fine, and looks great.

There still isn't any sound.  I've gone over the board with a penlight
and a magnifying glass, and still can't identify the sound chip.  Any
idea what it is?

Are we the only ones who can't get sound with their avermedia?  (mine is
a standard TVPhone, not a TVphone 98).

Best regards,
Dan.

Post by blankre » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

> Hi Dan,

> It looks like your bttv is not loaded when kwintv starts. Try to load
> it using insmod.
> BTW. I have the same card and running RH5.2.0.36. Dou have any problems
> with your sound chip not being properly recognized and strange colors (
> bright spots like if you are looking at negative picture ) when using
> overlay mode ?

> Roman

> > I am having trouble running KWINTV with my Avermedia Tv Tuner.

> > Here are the particulars:

> > -The tuner works fine under windows.
> > -Kwintv Compiles and installs fine.
> > -MAKEDEV in kwintv Source tree is executed.
> > -Video4Linux is compiled into Kernel, bttv.o compiled as module.
> > -bttv.o module is loaded into Kernel.

> > When I execute kwintv, I am told:  /dev/video: Operation not supported
> > by device.  /dev/video is symlinked to /dev/video0, which has a
> > major/minor number of 81, 0.

> > As far as I've read, I'd done everything correct... why isn't this
> > working?!?!?   If I can't watch TV under linux, I may have to quit
> > Linux altogether, and just return to watching TV.

> > Any help appreciated,
> > Dan.

> > --== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==--
> > ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---

Did you download the latest bttv drivers?. I belive the latest tar version
is .063.
What I did to get my Hauppauge TV card to work with KDE was to set up my
bttv as a module in the kernel. Then I downloaded the bbtv drivers,
unarchived them  and edited the makefile in the driver subdirectory to the
number that corresponds to my tv card. I ran "make" and "make ins" and it
installed the bttv drivers into my module directory and I was able to run
my kwintv after that.

Leave me an email for more information.

1. Dummy device - SIOCSIFADDR: Operation not supported by device

Hello everyone ...

I'm new to Linux, and reading through the NAG (Network Administrators
Guide), it seemed like the "dummy" net device  was a nice thing to have. I
can't however seem to get it working. The command:

  ifconfig dummy 195.173.235.70 up

which the NAG advices, reports "SIOCSIFADDR: Operation not supported by
device" (also without the "up" by the way).

I run the RedHat 5.1 distribution, and have upgraded my kernel to 2.0.36.
The dummy net device is compiled as a module, and *does* get loaded (lsmod
shows it for a certain amount of time after the above command)

What am I doing wrong?

By the way, that same lsmod also *allways* shows the serial modules being
loaded, with a usage count of 1, even when I am unaware that anything is
using it. Is it allways used? Anf if yes, should I compile it into the
kernel directly?

Many thanks in advance...

PS: I'am also new to usenet, if you do reply, a CC to my email adress would
be very much appreciated. Just might miss it otherwise, news is confusing...
:-)

2. phpMyAdmin error

3. dumpon operation not supported by device???

4. Ensoniq soundcard???

5. SIOCADDRT: Operation not supported by device

6. ? about Iinux router on NT network w/ isdn

7. Operation not supported by device

8. cdrom mounting issues -- help a newbie

9. /dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device

10. SIOCSIFADDR:Operation not supported by device

11. SIOCADDRT: Operation not supported by device

12. login_tty /dev/console: Operation not supported by device

13. This device does not support this operation !!!!!!