Upgrade question:Pentium 200MMX to K6-x

Post by Hari Seldo » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I wish upgrade an existing system with a Pentium 200MMX to a new
motherboard (FIC VA503+) with a k6-2 or 3, 100MHz bus and more RAM. The
question is, what, if anything, do I need to do to keep Linux happy on
the first boot after installation of the new parts? I am running RedHat
6.0 with kernel 2.2.10 compiled for the present processor. Any input on
this matter would be welcome and appreciated. TIA.

Post by Jim McDonal » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> I wish upgrade an existing system with a Pentium 200MMX to a new
> motherboard (FIC VA503+) with a k6-2 or 3, 100MHz bus and more RAM. The
> question is, what, if anything, do I need to do to keep Linux happy on
> the first boot after installation of the new parts? I am running RedHat
> 6.0 with kernel 2.2.10 compiled for the present processor. Any input on
> this matter would be welcome and appreciated. TIA.

You should be OK with no changes, unless you compiled some special
support for your old chipset.
If you recompile, you can enable MTRRs and support for the Via chipset.

--
Jim McDonald
SLAC

1. Upgraded from Intel Pentium 200MMX to AMD K6-2 400 3dNOW (Problems)

Hello,
I had some trouble using Redhat 5.1.  A couple weeks ago, I upgraded my
computer from a Pentium 200MMX to a AMD K6-2 400 with a FIC 2013? 100mhz
motherboard with 64 MB RAM.  This evening was the third or fourth time I
seen Linux since the upgrade, but it hung without displaying a message.  The
logs had nothing in them dating tonight.  So I reboot, it does it's system
checks, and tries to repair any lost clusters from an improper mount.
Again, the machine crashes, while doing the repair, asking me for the root
password or to hit control-D to reboot.  I hit control-D, and I get it to
reboot.  After another file system check, it finally gets to the login
screen. I log in and try to run an app and it freezes.

My question is:  Was I suppose to do something (recompile kernel, adjust any
settings, etc) BEFORE I upgraded to an AMD chip?

BTW,  the other hardware that was in the previous machine ( A WinModem ) was
removed. It now has a USR Sportster 28.8 external.  The non-SB sound card
was left.

Any leads?

Thanks.
Ralph

2. An idiot newbie question, regarding gcc.

3. Pentium 200MMX slower then Pentium 120MHz non-MMX?

4. Multi-Processor Support for FreeBSD

5. AMD K6 200MMX BogoMIPS?

6. disallow telnet for wu.ftpd "guests"

7. AMD-K6 200 vs. Intel-200MMX

8. password protected self-extracting files?

9. Pentium 200 MMX or AMD K6 233 CPU Upgrade???

10. Questions to upgrade Sco3.2v4.2 on a Pentium Pci w/ SCSI from a 486

11. Pentium II replacement for Pentium? (newbie question)

12. Linux on FAST Pentium or Pentium Pro Question!

13. FPU performace of K6, Pentium Pro, etc