External SuperDisk PPD under Linux

Post by Tong Chien » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I've sifted through hundreds of messages trying to find an answer...
nothing. I am currently experimenting with Linux, and would like to know if
accessing an external LS-120 Disk via a parallel port is possible. I've seen
many postings for lots of other hardware, so I wouldn't be surprised if this
was very possible. To make it even trickier, I am running linux on my
thinkpad (i don't know if laptops complicate things much.) I'm somewhat new
at Linux, so I assume I would need drivers or perhaps edit some code. Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and please, don't worry about me... I am perfectly capable of restoring
my O/S (win98 if you can call that an OS compared to linux :) if anything
goes seriously wrong. Wish me luck. Thanks for any help.

External SuperDisk PPD under Linux

Post by Hash » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

hi,

re:
---

Quote:> I've sifted through hundreds of messages trying to find an answer...
> nothing. I am currently experimenting with Linux, and would like to know if
> accessing an external LS-120 Disk via a parallel port is possible. I've seen
> many postings for lots of other hardware, so I wouldn't be surprised if this
> was very possible. To make it even trickier, I am running linux on my
> thinkpad (i don't know if laptops complicate things much.) I'm somewhat new
> at Linux, so I assume I would need drivers or perhaps edit some code. Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.

---

        it's simply a question of recompiling your kernel and saying yes to the
right questions (i was pissing around with 2.0.35 last night) - though this
is not to say i did it successfully, i did it in SuSE once upon a time, but
so far RedHat, which i'm currently using, is being difficult :-(

re:
---

Quote:> Oh, and please, don't worry about me... I am perfectly capable of restoring
> my O/S (win98 if you can call that an OS compared to linux :) if anything
> goes seriously wrong. Wish me luck. Thanks for any help.

---
        how can you stand Win98?  i found it to be dire compared to Win95 and
WinNT4 (deliberate comparisons are an indication of shiteness).  though
RedHat 5.1 has a weird way of going about things, i've been rather happy
with it so far.

laters,
        Hashi.

--- --- ---
  .~.   the way of the Sacred Penguin is the path of
  /V\   the truly righteous...
 // \\

 ^`~'^  http://thor.prohosting.com/~hashaday

Post by Achim Linde » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I've sifted through hundreds of messages trying to find an answer...
> nothing. I am currently experimenting with Linux, and would like to know if
> accessing an external LS-120 Disk via a parallel port is possible.

www.torque.net/parport/paride.html

The sources for kernel 2.0.35 are available at

ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.0/

Achim

External SuperDisk PPD under Linux

Post by kofi.akos » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Check out Linux Howto site www.linux-howto.com. There is a Howto on
parrallel port eide devices and how to configure them for linux.

>I've sifted through hundreds of messages trying to find an answer...
>nothing. I am currently experimenting with Linux, and would like to know if
>accessing an external LS-120 Disk via a parallel port is possible. I've
seen
>many postings for lots of other hardware, so I wouldn't be surprised if
this
>was very possible. To make it even trickier, I am running linux on my
>thinkpad (i don't know if laptops complicate things much.) I'm somewhat new
>at Linux, so I assume I would need drivers or perhaps edit some code. Any
>help would be greatly appreciated.

>Oh, and please, don't worry about me... I am perfectly capable of restoring
>my O/S (win98 if you can call that an OS compared to linux :) if anything
>goes seriously wrong. Wish me luck. Thanks for any help.

External SuperDisk PPD under Linux

Post by Rand » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I have not tried any of this but look here for parallel port info with
LINUX. -- http://www.torque.net/parport/

Randy

>I've sifted through hundreds of messages trying to find an answer...
>nothing. I am currently experimenting with Linux, and would like to know if
>accessing an external LS-120 Disk via a parallel port is possible. I've
seen
>many postings for lots of other hardware, so I wouldn't be surprised if
this
>was very possible. To make it even trickier, I am running linux on my
>thinkpad (i don't know if laptops complicate things much.) I'm somewhat new
>at Linux, so I assume I would need drivers or perhaps edit some code. Any
>help would be greatly appreciated.

>Oh, and please, don't worry about me... I am perfectly capable of restoring
>my O/S (win98 if you can call that an OS compared to linux :) if anything
>goes seriously wrong. Wish me luck. Thanks for any help.

1. External Superdisk

Hi Folks

Anyone managed to get an external Imation superdisk to work?
I have exhausted all avenues, and it still just sits there.

Doing a cdrecord -scanbus shows

scsibus1:
1,0,0   100) 'MATSHITA' 'LS-120 VER5   00' 'F523' Removable Disk

scsibus0 is the cdrw.

I have RedHat 7.1, if that helps.

Thanking you in advance.

Iain

2. Gcc 2.7.2.1 & Kernel 2.0.22

3. 3M - Imation SuperDisk LS-120 Drive (External Parallel Port version)

4. A question on ufsdump and compression

5. Ricoh Aficio AP3800C, printing in color from Linux Mandrake; have mfg PPD

6. linux router to forward broadcasts

7. PPD files, PostScript Printers, and Linux

8. Problems with kerneld, ppp module and request-route.

9. How do I use the LS-120 - aka Superdisk - under Linux

10. Linux Install : Imation LS-120 SuperDisk problems

11. superdisk and linux?

12. superdisk and linux!

13. LS-120 superdisk / paride / floppy-based Linux how-to's