Lexmark Z52, USB, possible?

Post by Professor J Fri » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 00:54:50

Hi,

    After finally putting a mad old Epson 1520 to sleep we're getting a new
bubblejet. The Lexmark Z52 looked good on paper (pun ;0) and it also had
dedicated linux drivers for it.

Unfortunately they are (or at least last time I looked) for parallel only
and I'd really like this to be using USB. Parallel would suffice but I
really don't trust our 2nd parallel port.

Has anyone managed to get this printer working through USB without too much
jiggery pokery?

Anything generic would be great, SuSE specific would be better.

Cheers,
       Frink

--
'Professor' J Frink
Ringtail to the Stars & Professional Mossbauer Guru

Lexmark Z52, USB, possible?

Post by Professor J Fri » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 05:01:33

Actually, never mind. The default Lexmark drivers now support USB, that and
USB printer support in the 2.4.2 kernel appears to work a treat (after
slight fiddling of lpd etc).

Frink (blimey, that was surprisingly easy)

--
'Professor' J Frink
Ringtail to the Stars & Professional Mossbauer Guru
shrike at cmp dot liv dot ack dot ook
"Oi! Deeeemon!!" - Monkey!

Lexmark Z52, USB, possible?

Post by Aeto » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:13:52

Hi,

Exactly what "fiddling" did you have to do with lpd?  I had the z52 set up
on my Debian machine with a 2.2.18 kernel and after several botched attempts
to get WP8 to recognize the printer, I lost the printer altogether and I
suspect I did something to lpd.  As far as I can tell from dmesg,  all the
requisite usb drivers are being loaded to support /dev/usb/lp0 and the
lexmark drivers are installed. I do know that in order to send raw data to
the printer, I needed to make a separate printcap entry "z52-outfiles" which
I have done and there are no spaces or tab entries.
 I can send alignment and cartridge instructions to the printer only,
nothing else.  When I run lpc status, I get "queueing enabled, printing
enabled, no entries, no daemon present".  I believe I should not be seeing
"no daemon present", rather "printer ready and printing" when I send a
document to the queue. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Don Nash

Quote:> Actually, never mind. The default Lexmark drivers now support USB, that
and
> USB printer support in the 2.4.2 kernel appears to work a treat (after
> slight fiddling of lpd etc).

> Frink (blimey, that was surprisingly easy)

> --
> 'Professor' J Frink
> Ringtail to the Stars & Professional Mossbauer Guru
> shrike at cmp dot liv dot ack dot ook
> "Oi! Deeeemon!!" - Monkey!

1. Lexmark z52 USB on Debian 2.2r3 (Potato)

Hi all,

I've been trying to get a Lexmark z52 USB printer running on my Debian
potato box with no success yet.
This is what I've tried, after consulting the Debian mail archives, google
and the Linux Documentation Project.
1. Recompiled kernel 2.2.18pre21 for modular usb support
2. Installed first with alien, then with rpm the lexmark driver package,
then created script to find the vdk libraries,
so that the control program would run.
3. Installed Ghostscript 6.01
4. Installed Printtool
5. Using printtool, generated the following printcap entries:

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL
z52-outfiles:\
 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
 :mx#0:\
 :sh:\
 :lp=/dev/usb/lp0:
##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL
lexmarkz52:\
 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lexmarkz52:\
 :mx#0:\
 :sh:\
 :lp=/dev/usb/lp0:\
 :if=/usr/local/lexmark/z52/z52.sh:
##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL
lp:\
 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp0:\
 :mx#0:\
 :sh:\
 :lp=/dev/usb/lp0:\
 :if=/usr/local/lexmark/z52/z52.sh:

So far, all I've been able to do is run the lexmark control program.  I can
send a test page to the printer on /dev/usb/lp0 using the control program
and it will print.  If I try to use the test pages from printtool, I get a
message indicating the pages have been sent to the queue, but they don't
print.  At some point, I had tried using Lprng instead of lpr and got a more
verbose error message ("LINK_TRANSFER FAIL....).  I suspect my problems lie
with either lpd or ghostscript but I am really at a loss as to how to
proceed. Any thoughts?

Kind regards,

Don Nash

2. PROBLEM: 2.5.3 DAC960 won't compile

3. Printer Help (Lexmark Z52 USB)

4. First problems resol on ApacheSSL, but new problems ..

5. Lexmark z52 printer align software error

6. problems with parport and 2.2.6

7. Lexmark z51 with z52 driver?

8. any change on the solaris8 file system

9. Lexmark Optra312 and Z52 in Mandrake 7.2??

10. Lexmark Z52 under RedHat 7.1

11. Linux Mandrake and Lexmark z52

12. Lexmark Z52, gs, runaway printjobs

13. Lexmark Z52 printer woes!