VIA82CXXX (onboard sound for Athlon boards)

VIA82CXXX (onboard sound for Athlon boards)

Post by ma.. » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

Has anyone got onboard sound working on Athlon boards?
I'm not sure, but I think all boards use VIA chips for sound.

I tried compiling the kernel with VIA82CXXX and SOUND as modules, but it hangs
when I try to play sound with sndconfig, or when I try to load the module at
boot time.

BTW, I'm using an Asus K7M, kernel version 2.2.14, redhat 6.2.
Aside from the sound problem, the board works great.
Even IDE drives (BM-DMA) work great, which surprised me.

Thanks,
    Richard

VIA82CXXX (onboard sound for Athlon boards)

Post by yannic » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Has anyone got onboard sound working on Athlon boards?
> I'm not sure, but I think all boards use VIA chips for sound.

> I tried compiling the kernel with VIA82CXXX and SOUND as modules, but it hangs
> when I try to play sound with sndconfig, or when I try to load the module at
> boot time.

> BTW, I'm using an Asus K7M, kernel version 2.2.14, redhat 6.2.
> Aside from the sound problem, the board works great.
> Even IDE drives (BM-DMA) work great, which surprised me.

> Thanks,
>     Richard

i'm running an asustek K7M, with an athlon 500 MHz, RedHat 6.1, the sound works
perfectly.

VIA82CXXX (onboard sound for Athlon boards)

Post by Rod Smi » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Has anyone got onboard sound working on Athlon boards?
> I'm not sure, but I think all boards use VIA chips for sound.
> BTW, I'm using an Asus K7M,

I've got a K7M, and use the ALSA drivers (http://www.alsa-project.org).
They work quite well, but are a bit of a pain to compile and install. The
regular kernel drivers only support 8-bit sound, and are finicky at best,
in my experience.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux networking & multi-OS configuration

:
: I tried compiling the kernel with VIA82CXXX and SOUND as modules, but it hangs
: when I try to play sound with sndconfig, or when I try to load the module at
: boot time.
:
: BTW, I'm using an Asus K7M, kernel version 2.2.14, redhat 6.2.
: Aside from the sound problem, the board works great.
: Even IDE drives (BM-DMA) work great, which surprised me.
:
: Thanks,
:     Richard
Try compiling just sound support as a module and use alsa. Worked perfectly
for me as long as you use a recent version of alsa.
cu,
   Markus

Post by Derek B. Noonbu » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>: Has anyone got onboard sound working on Athlon boards?
>: I'm not sure, but I think all boards use VIA chips for sound.
>: ...
>Try compiling just sound support as a module and use alsa. Worked perfectly
>for me as long as you use a recent version of alsa.

I have an AOpen AK72 motherboard (Via KX133) chipset.  The ALSA driver
(version 0.5.7) works pretty well, but I'm getting some weird
glitches.  It sounds like the driver is occasionally throwing away a
few thousand samples, and skipping immediately to the following data.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to reproduce this. I've tried
stressing the CPU, the disk, and my ethernet connection, and none of
these reliably cause the problem.  I listen to music pretty much
constantly whenever I'm at my computer, and all I can say is I'm
hearing glitches often enough to be annoying.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Any suggestions?

- Derek

VIA82CXXX (onboard sound for Athlon boards)

Post by Rod Smi » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:

> I have an AOpen AK72 motherboard (Via KX133) chipset.  The ALSA driver
> (version 0.5.7) works pretty well, but I'm getting some weird
> glitches.  It sounds like the driver is occasionally throwing away a
> few thousand samples, and skipping immediately to the following data.

> Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to reproduce this. I've tried
> stressing the CPU, the disk, and my ethernet connection, and none of
> these reliably cause the problem.  I listen to music pretty much
> constantly whenever I'm at my computer, and all I can say is I'm
> hearing glitches often enough to be annoying.

> Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Any suggestions?

I've not encountered this on either of my systems that use this driver,
but I don't use the sound system nearly as heavily as you apparently do.
There is, however, an ALSA mailing list. I believe there's mention of it
on the ALSA web site (http://www.alsa-project.org). You might want to
join it and post about the problem, or see if there's a searchable
archive to the mailing list on the web site.

--

Post by root » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> >: Has anyone got onboard sound working on Athlon boards?
> >: I'm not sure, but I think all boards use VIA chips for sound.
> >: ...
> >Try compiling just sound support as a module and use alsa. Worked perfectly
> >for me as long as you use a recent version of alsa.

> I have an AOpen AK72 motherboard (Via KX133) chipset.  The ALSA driver
> (version 0.5.7) works pretty well, but I'm getting some weird
> glitches.  It sounds like the driver is occasionally throwing away a
> few thousand samples, and skipping immediately to the following data.

> Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to reproduce this. I've tried
> stressing the CPU, the disk, and my ethernet connection, and none of
> these reliably cause the problem.  I listen to music pretty much
> constantly whenever I'm at my computer, and all I can say is I'm
> hearing glitches often enough to be annoying.

> Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Any suggestions?

> - Derek

I have a Tyan S2380 with KX133 chipset and use the onboard sound in
Win98 and Win2K.  Both Win OS's exhibit the breaking up ("Skipping")
that you describe, but only on startup or when the CPU is heavily loaded
(which is not all that often on the 600Mhz Athlon (yet!)).  I imagine
it would not do well playing games, but I'm not into that (yet!).
I have not gotten it to work in Linux (yet!) but I'm working on it.
I am compiling the alsa module now and don't see the VIA82CXXX in the
list of "boards".  Any advice would be appreciated.  TIA.

Dave D.

1. via82cxxx onboard sound - finally works! (fwd)

good deal!

I notice you have a line for snd-mixer with and without the oss as well as
the snd-pcm modules.  Do you have the lines without the -oss in order to
both load oss and alsa comptable devices?

is all this necessary in order to get sound working for you?
Do you have kmod set in the kernel?  I think if you have that set then you
don't need any scripts in /rc.d/rc.local.  Mine load automatically at
boot up.

--
Janine Roe

2. Unable to query Motorola modem with RH 8.0

3. VIA82CXXX chipset onboard sound driver probs

4. LILO version 22.5.1 released

5. via82cxxx onboard sound

6. ZDNet

7. Sound problems with Asus K7V board using the via82cxxx drivers (2.4.3-pre 3/4)

8. Year 2000 Compliance

9. Supermicro on-board sound

10. Success with on-board Yamaha OPL3-SA3 sound system

11. On-board sound chip?

12. Does PD440FX on-board sound work under linux?

13. On-board Sound Config. Problem!!!!!!