**** Qlogic fast/wide PCI SCSI: the fastest controller? ****

Post by Scott Kenne » Fri, 10 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I'm thinking about getting a PCI Qlogic SCSI controller (the fast/wide
version).  I need to know whether or not it supports multiple
outstanding commands, connect/disconnect (Does it let one SCSI device,
say a tape drive, detach from the bus while another device, say a hard
drive, is operating?  I've heard this used to be a *big* problem on
the NCR SCSI adapters), and does it negotiate for a wide transfer
(in other words, does the driver take full advantage of its
capabilities?)???  I grabbed the readme file for the Qlogic kernel
patch off of sunsite.unc.edu and from what I've been able to
determine the Qlogic driver can do all of the things I just
mentioned.  So, basically, I'd just like to get someone's
informed opinion on how well this driver works and how stable
it is.  I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that the patch was supposed
to be applied to version 1.2.13 of the kernel.  Is this correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...I'm not a hardware guru
so I could really use some assistance.  BTW, what kind of
transfer rate could one typically get with this card and how
does it compare with fast/wide controllers made by NCR,
Adaptec, and Buslogic?  My understanding is that this
controller has a RISC processor on-board which I presume
would offload a lot of I/O chores from the system CPU
and thus increase throughput and lessen CPU utilization.
BTW, Insight sells this adapter for $289 (US dollars).
Is this a good price for one of these?

---Scott

P.S., is there a kernel image available that *already* has
support for this driver?  I'd really like to be able to
boot-up with a kernel that will automatically recognize
this controller...this will save me the trouble of
having to boot-up on a different controller and then
making a kernel that has Qlogic support in it.

1. Fast and wide PCI SCSI controllers for Linux

Hi All,

I have a couple of questions regarding fast and wide SCSI
controllers supported by Linux. From the FAQs and HOWTOs,
Adaptec 294X, DTP PM2124 and BusLogic 956 cards for PCI bus
seem to be supported. I have been running DPT PM2024 (that
supports only 8-bit HD interfaces) without any problems. I
was wondering if anyone is running the above fast and wide
SCSI controllers and would like to share their experiences.

Thanks

Girish

                                                       RAM Technologies
        ()___()
        / 0 0 \
       (   O   )
____

2. sshd authloop?

3. Fast and Wide Followup (Fast wide SCSI drivers, anyone?)

4. Problem with Ghostscript

5. Ultra-Wide SCSI on fast/wide SCSI 2 adapter

6. sun v250 server and sound

7. Universal PCI SCSI-III Controller for Wide & Narrow SCSI

8. The Wrong Choice: After picking NT, Trampoline firm leaps to Linux

9. Driver for Qlogic IQ10 Fast SCSI controller...

10. Bootdisk fails on Qlogic Fast!SCSI VLB controller

11. Qlogic Fast!SCSI - IQ PCI

12. results QLogic Fast SCSI Basic PCI - AM53C974

13. Wide/FAST SCSI-3 Controller not recognised!