an old ISA SCSI controller (Adaptec 1540)

an old ISA SCSI controller (Adaptec 1540)

Post by <ntk.. » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I have a couple of old ISA SCSI controller(Adaptec 1540*) and a SCSI drive.
In my maching, I have win98 running on a IDE drive and I would like to
install LINUX on the SCSI drive.  Since I've never used SCSI devices,
there are few concerns as listed below:

1. what do I do to make LINUX installer to recognize the ISA SCSI
controller?

2. What information about the controller do I need to know? i.e. IRQ, I/O
address, and so on.

3. do I need to format the SCSI drive before I start the LINUX
installation?

Um... that's all I can think of for now...

Thanks.

Post by david a. let » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>I have a couple of old ISA SCSI controller(Adaptec 1540*) and a SCSI drive.
>In my maching, I have win98 running on a IDE drive and I would like to
>install LINUX on the SCSI drive.  Since I've never used SCSI devices,
>there are few concerns as listed below:

>1. what do I do to make LINUX installer to recognize the ISA SCSI
>controller?

There is native support for 154x ISA adapters, at least in Redhat 6.1,
which I am using (with an 1542B).

Quote:>2. What information about the controller do I need to know? i.e. IRQ, I/O
>address, and so on.

It should auto-detect.

Quote:

>3. do I need to format the SCSI drive before I start the LINUX
>installation?

I would, unless the drive is brand new.  (And I am talking low-level
format, not running MS-DOS format against it).  The BIOS should have
that functionality  built-in.

Quote:

>Um... that's all I can think of for now...

>Thanks.

>--

Copyright (c) 1999 David A. Lethe. Posting this material on the World Wide Web
under CNET's Help.com service implies agreeing to a consultancy fee of
US $150.00 - per posting. Violations are subject to civil
prosecution for Copyright Infringement as applicable in the state, country,
or territory they reside. Please direct your initial requests by email.

1. an old ISA SCSI controller (Adaptec 1540)

I have a couple of old ISA SCSI controller(Adaptec 1540*) and a SCSI drive.
In my maching, I have win98 running on a IDE drive and I would like to
install LINUX on the SCSI drive.  Since I've never used SCSI devices,
there are few concerns as listed below:

1. what do I do to make LINUX installer to recognize the ISA SCSI
controller?

2. What information about the controller do I need to know? i.e. IRQ, I/O
address, and so on.

3. do I need to format the SCSI drive before I start the LINUX
installation?

Um... that's all I can think of for now...

Thanks.

2. Help Internal Zip 100 drive how to access

3. modem in linux?

4. New "xad" driver for Adaptec 1540/1542CP SCSI controller

5. debugger for Multithreaded solaris programs?

6. Help with OLD Adaptec 1540

7. Linux version of RIPEM encryption

8. NMI errors with Adaptec 1540 controller

9. Adaptec 1540 SCSI problem

10. SCSI Adaptec AHA-1540, not in default configuration

11. Adaptec 1540/42CF SCSI controler

12. Problem with an Adaptec 1540 SCSI controler