modem problem

Post by asag » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi, hope somebody can help a newbie <g>  My regular modem turns out to
be a Winmodem.  I have an external modem that I've tried to hook up in a
couple of different configurations, but it ain't working.

In addition, Windows has my Winmodem on Com 5 ( I know that's not the
same as I/O port), with IRQ 12.  Windows was finding my serial modem,
and had assigned it to Com 2 with IRQ 3.  When I tried to use it, it
wasn't connecting, so probably the physical configuration was wrong.
Also, in Linux, I assigned ttyS1 with irq 3 to the serial modem, and
linked it to /dev/modem~, but when I ran kppp to try to connect, the
modem couldn't be found.  I tried setserial with -v on ttyS1 and it did
come back with the right particulars, except that there was no uart
value, which I have read is not necessarily a problem, especially since
my serial modem is _very_ old (and slow!) - it's a USRobotics 14.4
v42bis.

I'd really appreciate help.

A. Sage

--
Along the narrow carpet ride,
with primroses on either side,

A.A. Milne

1. Odd Modem Problem (Modem not responding) (Not a WinModem!)

I've been around Linux off and on since kernel .99.15o, so believe me
when I say that this is _not_ a WinModem problem. :)

I just installed Debian "potato".  Clean install, and few problems,
but I can not make this box talk to my modems.   When I start minicom,
everything I type gets echoed back, but the modem doesn't respond
(other than to echo back what I type).  The echoing is odd-- it
only echoes the carriage return when I hit <enter>; I can manually
type a new line, but that doesn't help.   The modem doesn't act
on anything I type; e.g. typing "atdt33333" doesn't make any noise
(and should; at least the external modem I'm _sure_ is set to
make noise, since it does when hooked up to another machine, and that's
the factory default).

Just so you know I'm not crazy:
        It's not an interrupt problem.  The same thing happens with an
        external and an internal problem, and with seterial /dev/ttyS2 irq 0
        Moreover, I'm setting the interrupt by jumper.

        It's not a setserial problem.  If minicom isn't talking to the
        right port, then nothing gets echoed back.  Only when it's talking
        to the right port do I even see the echoing.

        I did get the external modem to talk back, by telling  it to ignore
        DTR.  However, that caused other problems (most notably, my ppp
        connection getting garbage that caused it to hang up; my ISP is
        a bit draconian :)

        statserial shows DTR always 1, DCD always 0.  I can give more info
        if necessary.

        The modems are a Gateway Telepath ISA (w/ jumpers :) and a USR 28.8
        Fax/Modem.  The box is a gateway P5-120 that I got for $25.

Any ideas?  I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks in advance,

                Me
--
Disclaimer:  Anything I said, writ, or thought in my life should not
necessarily be held or thought to imply any view, opinion, or idea

2. dump mistake

3. Modem problem - External US Robotics Voice modem

4. XF86Config: image wraps around left edge

5. modem problem conect to provider (wisecom modem)

6. -> RUNNING A GROUP OF SCRIPTS FROM A SINGLE SUPERVISORY SCRIPT

7. A modem problem about Intel 536ep Modem

8. COLA FAQ 7 of 7 28-Sep-2002

9. modem problem with statserial and modem tool.

10. Strange modem problem -- my modem no longer works in Linux

11. Swapping Modem in Linux : DIVA ISDN Modem problem

12. kppp/modem problem (modem busy)

13. Weird Modem problems/modem related Hangs