soundblaster PCI128 on Redhat 5.9 problem

soundblaster PCI128 on Redhat 5.9 problem

Post by Arrigo Benedett » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I have installed a soundblaster PCI128 sound card on a Dell PC
running Redhat 5.9. I used the ensonic driver, as suggested in several
postings, and I got x11amp working when it is started by root. As a
normal user though, I get an error message (Can't open audio device)
every time I try to play a file. I tried to changed the permissions of
the audio devices and I still have the same problem.

Any idea?

thanks in advance,

-Arrigo

Post by Nitin Mul » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

> I have installed a soundblaster PCI128 sound card on a Dell PC
> running Redhat 5.9.

Redhat 5.9? Hummm.. Perhaps we're all living in a blackhole. Please let
us know what the future of Linux looks like.
Quote:> I used the ensonic driver, as suggested in several
> postings, and I got x11amp working when it is started by root. As a
> normal user though, I get an error message (Can't open audio device)
> every time I try to play a file. I tried to changed the permissions of
> the audio devices and I still have the same problem.

> Any idea?

> thanks in advance,

> -Arrigo

soundblaster PCI128 on Redhat 5.9 problem

Post by Charles Wilki » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

On 29 Apr 1999 17:45:52 -0700, Arrigo Benedetti

>I have installed a soundblaster PCI128 sound card on a Dell PC
>running Redhat 5.9. I used the ensonic driver, as suggested in several
>postings, and I got x11amp working when it is started by root. As a
>normal user though, I get an error message (Can't open audio device)
>every time I try to play a file. I tried to changed the permissions of
>the audio devices and I still have the same problem.

>Any idea?

>thanks in advance,

>-Arrigo

It sounds like you were playing with the plugin settings.
Assuming your sound works with other apps.

Put your X11 amp settings back to default.
It should work then. If not remove it and re-install X11 Amp.

Charles Wilkins  CNE / MCP / A+
Network Design Consultant
Practical Computer Solutions
http://www.pcscs.com
609-321-1530
609-321-0840 - fax
--

1. soundcard SoundBlaster PCI128 or SoundBlaster live1024 problem

Hi

I have a SuSE 9.1 Linux client running
on a 500 MHz P3 with KDE3.2 and more or less
all works fine, except the soundcard.
Either I use SB PCI128 or SB live1024 the same problem appears.
The soundcard will be recognized by YAST well, I initialize
the card and after the system saves the new configuration.
The soundcard works fine.
But after every reboot, the soundcard is quite, nothing to hear
and in YAST the loudness menue is not reachable.
I have to reinit and reconfig the card new. After this
reinit and reconfig the soundcard works again fine,
until next reboot of the computer.
It seems, that the System is not able to remember
the init and config of the (of any) soundcard.
With SuSE 7.0 no problem.
Also /etc/modules.conf is empty but chmod is 777.

What am I doing wrong?

Boris Gerlach

2. DOTS only from floppy boot

3. Problems with redhat 5.9

4. problems X11+EGCS

5. Soundblaster PCI128 and Redhat 5.2: Duh!

6. Asynchronous I/O samples

7. Will Soundblaster PCI128 work with RedHat 5.2?

8. System Commander Deluxe

9. BETA-RedHat 5.9/Starbuck: Install Hints

10. RedHat 5.9 dhcp with pump

11. Starbuck (RedHat 5.9)

12. Epson Stylus Color II + Samba 2.0.3 (Redhat 5.9 Linux) = no print

13. REDHAT 5.9?!!!!!!!!!!!!!