spin-down external USB hard drive

Post by r.. » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:00:07

I have a external USB hard drive that is mounted under /dev/sda. I
would like to be able to spindown the drive when it's on use. I have
upgraded hdparm to version 6.1 in the hope that it might work but get
the following errors. Is it possible to spin-down an external drive?

# hdparm -Y /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
 issuing sleep command
 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(sleep) failed: Invalid argument

# hdparm -S 10 /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
 setting standby to 10 (50 seconds)
 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(setidle1) failed: Invalid argument

# hdparm -B 10 /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
 setting Advanced Power Management level to 0x0A (10)
 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD failed: Invalid argument

spin-down external USB hard drive

Post by Grant Coad » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:35:30

Quote:>I have a external USB hard drive that is mounted under /dev/sda. I
>would like to be able to spindown the drive when it's on use. I have
>upgraded hdparm to version 6.1 in the hope that it might work but get
>the following errors. Is it possible to spin-down an external drive?

look for sdparm, perhaps.  hdparm don't do much on SCSI :)

I hit same issue some months back and found no answer, there may be
something now.

Grant.

spin-down external USB hard drive

Post by r.. » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 14:52:56

I have tried sdparm but with the seagate drive I have it does not work
or give any errors. Guessing that's because it's not a real SCSI drive
it won't recognise all SCSI commands.

# sdpram --command=stop /dev/sda
    /dev/sda: ST94011A

hdparm has added support for SATA that mount on /dev/sda like USB
external drives. I was hoping that the changes would also work for USB
drives but don't for me.

Roger

Quote:> look for sdparm, perhaps.  hdparm don't do much on SCSI :)

Post by Mogens V » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 02:52:55

>>I have a external USB hard drive that is mounted under /dev/sda. I
>>would like to be able to spindown the drive when it's on use. I have
>>upgraded hdparm to version 6.1 in the hope that it might work but get
>>the following errors. Is it possible to spin-down an external drive?

> look for sdparm, perhaps.  hdparm don't do much on SCSI :)

Nope. We probably won't be able to do this on external USB/Firewire
drives. The interfaces don't handle things like SCSI START STOP et el
commands.

I had a lengthy discussion and tests with Douglas Gilbert, author of
sdparm, about this. We concluded that we can't seem to find interfaces
that implements the missing features.
The functionality -has- been added to sdparm, and it works with cdrom.

If anyone having external USB/Firewire boxes would care to try out
sdparm and report (hopeful) success, I'd really appreciate it!
Please CC me, and include info about the box/interface.

sdparm: http://www.torque.net/sg/sdparm.html

--
Kind regards,
/Mogens V.

"I've often driven past a house where (apparently) a fellow geek lives.
They own a Mini, which sports a large (British-style) front license
plate bearing the legend: GZIP -9 SUV."
   -- unknown

Post by Gran » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:41:33

>> look for sdparm, perhaps.  hdparm don't do much on SCSI :)

>Nope. We probably won't be able to do this on external USB/Firewire
>drives. The interfaces don't handle things like SCSI START STOP et el
>commands.

>I had a lengthy discussion and tests with Douglas Gilbert, author of
>sdparm, about this. We concluded that we can't seem to find interfaces
>that implements the missing features.
>The functionality -has- been added to sdparm, and it works with cdrom.

I'd prefer sdparm implemented hdparm command set where applicable
then extended it as required for SCSI.

Quote:

>If anyone having external USB/Firewire boxes would care to try out
>sdparm and report (hopeful) success, I'd really appreciate it!
>Please CC me, and include info about the box/interface.

# sdparm -ivvvv /dev/sda
    inquiry cdb: 12 00 00 00 24 00
      duration=4 ms
    /dev/sda: TOSHIBA   MK6014MAP         0811
    inquiry cdb: 12 01 83 00 fc 00
      duration=2 ms
    inquiry: resid=216
malformed VPD response, VPD pages probably not supported

Genesys GL-811 USB 2.0 bridge, with linux-2.6.12.5 on:
  http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/test/boxen/peetoo/

sdparm 0.94 correctly identifies the hard drive inside the USB enclosure,
the hard drive is powered from USB via two connectors (and a hardware
hack to add some supply bypassing caps).

Is this a limit of the USB driver, or the USB bridge chip?  If it is the
driver then nobody seems to be working on it, I last looked into this area
about March this year.  Not that I know much of USB, it seems okay for
mice and less so for much else :o)

Cheers,
Grant.

1. hard drive spin-down

I have hdparm set up to spin down my hard drive after 30 minutes of
inactivity, but my question is this: how can I tell if it is working
properly? When I was first fooling with hdparm, I set it so spin down
after one minute to see what happened, and after one minute I heard
it go neeeeeerroooo like it was going down but then right away (I
didn't touch anything) it sounded like it was going back up. I thought
I read something about there being a delay in accessing the drive
for a few seconds after coming back to a computer that has the drive
affected in this way, but I have not been able to notice any delay.
Are there any reasons that hdparm would fail to work properly or
my drive would refuse to spin down?

I am running RHL Colgate on a P166 with a 2 gig maxtor drive.

2. Booting from PCMCIA Flash card?

3. Hard disk spin-down after innactivity

4. Xconfig Help: ET4000+NEC3FGx **Please Read!!**

5. Disabling drive access to allow for spin-down

6. GNU Mach 1.0 released

7. Spinning down the hard drive

8. LinuxPPC Live -- help w/ install

9. Spinning down hard drive

10. any way to spin down hard drive under linux?

11. Help, Spin down the hard drive/put the monitor to Sleep, Desktop/YDL 2.3?

12. External USB hard drive not recognized as valid block device

13. IOMEGA USB 2.0 external Hard drive