Keyboard, Video, Mouse (KVM) Switchbox problems

Keyboard, Video, Mouse (KVM) Switchbox problems

Post by Barry Carso » Tue, 25 May 1999 04:00:00

Has anyone had any success finding a KVM switch that works between Win98 and
RedHat 6.0 machines?  (ps/2 mouse and keyboard)  I have tried 2 manual
switches.  Took them both back because they would lose the keyboard or mouse
after a few switches.   Just bought a Belkin OmniCube 2-port electronic
switch.  It seems pretty nice and works fine with the Win98 box but only the
keyboard works for the Linux box.  After startx, neither the keyboard or
mouse will work.  All I can do is telnet in and shutdown.

Has anybody else seen these problems, found solutions, or have any ideas?

Post by Ken Cormac » Tue, 25 May 1999 04:00:00

>Has anyone had any success finding a KVM switch that works between Win98 and
>RedHat 6.0 machines?  (ps/2 mouse and keyboard)  I have tried 2 manual
>switches.  Took them both back because they would lose the keyboard or mouse
>after a few switches.   Just bought a Belkin OmniCube 2-port electronic
>switch.  It seems pretty nice and works fine with the Win98 box but only the
>keyboard works for the Linux box.  After startx, neither the keyboard or
>mouse will work.  All I can do is telnet in and shutdown.

>Has anybody else seen these problems, found solutions, or have any ideas?

Barry -

I use a Raritan Compu-Switch (model DDS1314) 4-channel unit. with great
success.  It uses keep-alives to keep each OS fooled into thinking the actual
device (mouse or keyboard) is still "there", even when toggled over to another
OS.

It's a pricey unit (~$590 U.S.), and cables are 6.5' ~$45, 13' ~$55

This is still much MUCH better than trying to make room for a bunch of
monitors, keyboards, and mice (not to mention the needed power outlets, etc.)

You can get the Raritan from DataComm Warehouse.

Have fun.  :)

==================================
Ken Cormack
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

http://home.neo.rr.com/kcormack/

Keyboard, Video, Mouse (KVM) Switchbox problems

Post by Mark Davi » Tue, 25 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Has anyone had any success finding a KVM switch

that works between Win98 and
Quote:> RedHat 6.0 machines?  (ps/2 mouse and keyboard)  I
have tried 2 manual
> switches.  Took them both back because they would

lose the keyboard or mouse
Quote:> after a few switches.   Just bought a Belkin

OmniCube 2-port electronic
Quote:> switch.  It seems pretty nice and works fine with

the Win98 box but only the
Quote:> keyboard works for the Linux box.  After startx,

neither the keyboard or
Quote:> mouse will work.  All I can do is telnet in and
shutdown.

> Has anybody else seen these problems, found

solutions, or have any ideas?

I use a ConnectPro 4-way switch. Check out
http://www.connectpro.com/cs_114.html. I run Win98,
RH 5.2 with 2.2.7 kernel and OS/2 Warp 4 off of it. I
am able to run at 1600x1280x16M on the boxes that
have cards that support this. One thing to check is
to make sure your keyboard and mouse are as generic
as possible. I could not get my Kensington Expert
Mouse to work with this setup and had to switch to an
IBM Trackpoint II keyboard.

--
Mark Davis
San Angelo, TX

Keyboard, Video, Mouse (KVM) Switchbox problems

Post by Barry Carso » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the responses.  If anyone is interested, the OmniCube is now
working great.  I had to shave some plastic off the PS/2 cables to allow
them to insert farther.  They weren't quite making a good enough connection
into the ports on my Linux machine.  After that, everything is cool.  The
push-button selection selection is slick and (so far) completely reliable.

1. Mouse on KVM Switchbox problems....

I recently upgraded to Redhat v6.1, from 6.0.  On 6.0, I could switch
between my Pcs on my KVM switchbox with no problem.  Now, whenever I
switch off of the Linux box, or if the Linux box is not chosen on the
KVM switch at boot, I get VERY erratic mouse behavior.  All of the
movements are sporadic, and button clicks will take effect without me
clicking any buttons.  Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanks,

Sean

2. New or Revised TAs on websco, 960531

3. Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video?

4. Help: Winbond W89C84F

5. Inexpensive manual KVM controller for 1 keyboard, video, mouse -> 2 PCs?

6. kernel modules

7. 2port KVM Switch Keyboard/Video/Mouse PS2 In USB Out

8. vhost_alias with "www" subdomain

9. keyboard, video, mouse (kvm) price differences

10. Mouse/Keyboard/Monitor Switchbox under X

11. Monitor/Mouse/Keyboard Switchbox under X

12. keyboard/mouse switchbox with freebsd

13. Switchbox for Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard (Reliable?)