Recommended SCSI board?

Post by Andrew Gideo » Thu, 15 Jun 2006 23:01:52

I've the need to connect a machine running Fedora Core 4 to a SCSI array.
The array provides RAID, virtualization, etc.  So the functionality I need
from the board to be placed in the computer isn't all that high.

But I would like it to be supported by Fedora Core 4 so I don't have to
futz around with drivers.  Support in CentOS/Redhat would also be nice, as
I can see this machine evolving to that environment in the future.

The array is recent vintage, so this uses whatever SCSI standard is recent
(are we still at "fast/wide", or is it something else today? {8^).

Thanks...

        Andrew

Recommended SCSI board?

Post by Joshua Baker-LePai » Fri, 16 Jun 2006 21:18:33

Quote:

> I've the need to connect a machine running Fedora Core 4 to a SCSI array.
> The array provides RAID, virtualization, etc.  So the functionality I need
> from the board to be placed in the computer isn't all that high.

> But I would like it to be supported by Fedora Core 4 so I don't have to
> futz around with drivers.  Support in CentOS/Redhat would also be nice, as
> I can see this machine evolving to that environment in the future.

> The array is recent vintage, so this uses whatever SCSI standard is recent
> (are we still at "fast/wide", or is it something else today? {8^).

I've had very good luck with LSI boards.  If you all you need is a single
channel, the LSIU320 would seem to fit your needs.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

1. On-board aic7896 Ultra2 SCSI board error

I just bought ASUS XG-DLS motherboard, which has
built-in aic7896 dual channel ultra2 scsi ctrl chip.

Channel-A has one 4G LVD disk, and channel-B has
two 4G disks.

After installing RedHat 5.2 (kernel 2.0.36),
I found that disks belong to channel-B
weren't recognized. -_-;

Two days have passed since I tried to find the reason
and how to fix it... but nothing.
(read HOWTOs, kernel driver source's comments,
ASUS webpage, linux documents webpages, adaptec site,
scrutinized usenet newsgroups related to linux...)

I'm not sure it'll be okay with RedHat 6.0 (kernel 2.2.x).
According to /usr/src/linux-2.2.x/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx* codes,
I couldn't find something special than those in kernel 2.0.36.
(of course, I'm not a device driver programmer,
so it may be wrong)

Any good idea? Thanks in advance.

2. find and tar problem

3. Recommended ULTRA SCSI / SCSI 3 Cards/Hard Drives?

4. ftp'ing from a linux box behind the firewall

5. Recommended Single Board Computer

6. 100 base t card suggestion?

7. What mother board do you recommend?

8. net-printer probs...

9. Recommend video board?

10. Can anyone recommend message board software?

11. Recommended serial board?

12. Please recommend to me a Linux-compatible video capture board

13. AMD K6 266/300Mhz and recommended m-boards