Adaptec 2940AU/SyJet boot problem

Post by Leslie Mikese » Sat, 24 May 1997 04:00:00

Has anyone tried using an Adaptec 2940AU controller with a SyJet as
the boot device?  If there is only one device on the internal cable
it goes through the motions of booting up to the point of loading
the kernel, detecting the devices, reading the partitions, then
it gets a disk error and can't mount the root device.  Adding a
2nd SyJet on the external connector makes it work with no other
changes.  I don't think this is related to termination since adding
a cable with a terminator to the external connector doesn't help.
This machine is being set up for development/testing and will normally
have both drives connected but I'd like to know what is going on.

Les Mikesell

1. Boot problems with Red Hat Linux and Adaptec 2940AU

Tja!

I recently tried to install Red Hat Linux on my system. I used the Red
Hat 5 distribution and besides the lack of a "back"-button in the
installation program and the obvious mistake to not be able to search
for the distribution on a disk not correctly labeled, everything seemed
to be fine.

But, when I tried to restar my machine, the system didn't find my disk!
Only when I turned the power off and on again did the drive appear.

I have an Adaptec 2940AU card with a Fujitsu SCSI drive as main drive,
but my CD-ROM is connected to one of the IDE slots built in to the MB.

Since I have a Win95 system on the disk I installed LILO, and I tried
both to install it in MBR and in the first part of the Linuz partition,
but both versions gave me the same drive-losing problems. (Yes, I did a
complete reinstall in between).

What went wrong here? Any clues would be greatly appreciated!

BTW: (Is this a flame thrower :-) I've never had these problems with
FreeBSD.

(... But I wanted to try Linux... Did that dampen the flames? :-)
--
Med v?nlig h?lsning

Joachim Str?mbergson - Alltid i harmonisk sv?ngning

Engineer, nice to CUTE animals.

Ericsson Microwave Systems AB
Core Unit ASIC Technology and System on Silicon
SE-431 84 M?lndal

Phone:          +46 31 747 1223
Mobile phone:   +46 70 694 78 53
Fax:            +46 31 27 10 30

2. ADSL Router and configuration

3. Fix for Adaptec 2940AU warm boot hangs

4. Shell pre-processor available?

5. Adaptec 2940au won't boot

6. ring buffer overflow

7. Where can I get an Adaptec 2940AU boot disk?

8. Solaris Crash Help!

9. Adaptec 2940AU problems

10. Problem with Adaptec 2940AU

11. Problem with adaptec 2940AU and HP Brio

12. problems with ADAPTEC 2940AU