Modem

Post by Timothy L Za » Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:00:00

        When I installed the non-elf version of slackware a while back, I
had trouble getting my modem to work, but after I recompiled the kernel,
it worked fine.  I have recently installed Slackware 3.0 and the modem
does not work properly, (when I run minicom) the modem does not give me
an OK.  The init string and reset string are both correct.  (By the way
it is a US Robotics 28.8).  NE1 know how to fix this problem.  I would
guess theres something in the kernel that I'm missing.  Any help would be
appreciated.

                                        -Tim

Modem

Post by Wim Vandeput » Mon, 01 Jul 1996 04:00:00

:
:       When I installed the non-elf version of slackware a while back, I
: had trouble getting my modem to work, but after I recompiled the kernel,
: it worked fine.  I have recently installed Slackware 3.0 and the modem
: does not work properly, (when I run minicom) the modem does not give me
: an OK.  The init string and reset string are both correct.  (By the way
: it is a US Robotics 28.8).  NE1 know how to fix this problem.  I would
: guess theres something in the kernel that I'm missing.  Any help would be
: appreciated.

are you talking to the right /dev/??
maybe your /dev/modem link isn't set correctly
you can always echo atz > /dev/ttyS0 to see if the lights flash.

1. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

I have 2 network cards and 1 modem in a Linux Box with RH6.
My cable modem uses the modem to start a PPP session, and the network card
is then hooked up to the VPN of the ISP.

I would like to setup a IP Masquraded Firewall to hook some of my other
boxes
behind the firewall.

I  cannot find a HOW-TO to setup the Linux box using this type of Cable
Modem.  I
have only found 2 way cable modems.  Can someone point me it the right
direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to get Linux connected, then also, how
do I configure
ipchains or ipfwadm to use the correct rule set.  Do I do the modem or the
network card.  The
network card has a static IP of 10.0.0.1 which is usally used for VPNs.  My
cable company
is of corse not supporting Linux, so I have to do it myself.  The PPP dialup
uses DHCP to
assign my address so I have dhcp setup.

Thanks in advance..

Aaron

2. vmstat question

3. Modems, modems, modems

4. Gcc

5. Modem, modem, modem, ... setup

6. init: no more processes left in this runlevel

7. modems modems modems

8. Xview font problems on Solaris 2.3

9. Modem, modem, modem

10. Where to find Kermit, X-Modem, Y-Modem, & Z-Modem Source

11. Changing from Internal Modem to External Modem

12. Modem gives "Sorry, modem is not responding"

13. Modem Driver: Creative Modem Blaster PCI DI5791