BIOS Question

Post by Greg » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 01:29:22

Hey
How is it, if at all possible to configure BIOS to be able to run two
graphics outputs? Apparently when my AGP card is in use, it disables the
ability of the motherboard to send graphis via th onboard slot. Any help
would be appreciated.

Thanks
Greg

BIOS Question

Post by Dances With Crow » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 01:41:03

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:29:22 +0200, Greg staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:> How is it possible to configure [the] BIOS to be able to run two
> graphics outputs? Apparently when my AGP card is in use, it disables
> the ability of the motherboard to send [graphics] via [the] onboard
> [video device].

Every motherboard is different, so you're going to have to check your
board's manual.  The behavior you describe sounds typical if the
soldered-to-the-board video chip is an AGP device.  IIRC, only 1 AGP
device can be active at any one time, because of the way that bus was
designed.  (This is one reason why it's a bad idea to buy a board with a
soldered-in video chip.)

If you have a PCI or PCI-e video card, though, you should be able to
plug it in and have it work properly.  You may require kernel patches if
you need to use more than 1 video card without X, but X should be able
to handle more than 1 video card fairly easily.  Read the Xinerama-HOWTO
for a reasonably useful introduction to using multiple video cards.
HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /    "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/      penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

1. BIOS Question

Hi:
    I was having some problems getting Linux to access my modem.  I e-mailed
the details of my problem to SuSE support, and got a brief reply saying that
I need to "turn of Plug & Play" in my BIOS.  Does anybody out there have any
experience with altering BIOS settings specifically for Linux -- what does
it do to Windows 95?  SuSE's response also says that I should install the
"isapnp" package in Linux.
    Additionally, what are good tools to change BIOS settings with?  Are
there any within Linux that you've used? What about Windows 95 based
packages? Any other concerns you may like to warn me about?

Thanks in advance ...

Nirad Pandya

2. Streaming MP3 (xmms) on SunRays

3. Large IDE drive, old BIOS question

4. new cat wanted

5. AHA1542CF w/ 2GB HD BIOS question.

6. question: program size when using mmap files

7. PCI and BIOS question

8. Linux Rumor #2

9. system.map, hardware detection and abit bp6 bios question.

10. SuperMicro P6DNF Bios Question

11. Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI BIOS question

12. Bios question.

13. General BIOS Questions