ESS ES1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive install question.

ESS ES1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive install question.

Post by Mark Clar » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

Has anyone had luck getting a ESS ES1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive
sound card running under Linux 5.2 kernal version 2.0.36 on a i586
platform?

Post by Marcus Laue » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

>Has anyone had luck getting a ESS ES1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive
>sound card running under Linux 5.2 kernal version 2.0.36 on a i586
>platform?
>--

(Note return address at the bottom of this message)

        Yep.  I have a generic ESS 1868 on a FIC VA-503+, with an AMD K6-2 333
(detected as an i586).

        Here's the trick I discovered.  I used sndconfig to setup the card.  It
updates both your conf.modules file (so that the right kernel modules are
loaded) and the isapnp.conf file (for other parameters, such as I/O port and
DMA).  The funny thing is, I didn't need the isapnp.conf file stuff.  I
literally just deleted that file from /etc.  All RedHat 5.2 needed was the
right modules loaded (a-la conf.modules).  Both my PnP soundcard and my PnP ISA
SCSI card (advansys) run fine this way.

        This might just work with my configuration.  I'm not sure what effect,
for example, having the BIOS setting for PnP OS set to "off" has in this
situation.  Also, I'm somewhere in the low-to-mid level of expertise with
Linux, so take this with a grain of salt.

        Here are the kernel modules I have loaded for the soundcard.  You could
just add these with the RedHat kernel configuration tool, which is more direct,
if nothing else...

Type       Module        Arguments
midi         opl3
opl3                            io=0x388
sb                               io=0x220 mpu_io=0x330
sound     sb

                                   Marcus Lauer
                                   "melauer" at "uclink4.berkeley.edu"

ESS ES1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive install question.

Post by dave.al.. » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

Yes no real problems in getting the ESS1868 going under any of the kernel
I have used since sometime early in the 1.?? kernels.

The documentation that comes with the kernels suggests that the sound
drivers should be done as modules. I have never had alot of success with
that but by compiling directly in the kernel using the correct paramters
works fine.

I am presently running 2.2.5 using the same idea.

Post by Tim Brunn » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

> Yes no real problems in getting the ESS1868 going under any of the kernel
> I have used since sometime early in the 1.?? kernels.

> The documentation that comes with the kernels suggests that the sound
> drivers should be done as modules. I have never had alot of success with
> that but by compiling directly in the kernel using the correct paramters
> works fine.

> I am presently running 2.2.5 using the same idea.

I am using a Kapok 1100M Notebook with ESS1868. Sound support works under
Windows 98 but not with Debian GNU/linux 2.1. There is no possibility to
chose I/O, etc. paramters for the sound chip in the BIOS, just using the
parameters used in Windows also with Linux does not work, neither with 2.0.x
nor with 2.2.x kernels. Unfortunately isapnp fails completely as well. The
sound chip is recognized by Linux as a PCI device at 0x3000 with IRQ 5, as
in Windows 98, but not more.

Anybody with a 1100M out there?

Tim

ESS ES1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive install question.

Post by Olivier LE RO » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

1re tape: Compilation d'un noyau

-cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.1

Editer le fichier /etc/lilo.conf, ajouter les lignes:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.1

label=linux-2.2.1

root=/dev/hd <-- ici indiquer le disque

read-only                   de la partition root

p. exemple:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=500
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.1
                    label=linux-2.2.1
                    root=/dev/hdc1
                    read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-3
                    label=linux
                    root=/dev/hdc1
                    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.0.36-3.img
                    read-only
other=/dev/hda1
                    label=dos
                    table=/dev/hda

-lilo
La compilation du noyau est termine,  au reboot il y a possiblit lorsque
lilo est charg et aprs appui sur la touche TAB de choisir de booter sous
Linux-2.2.1, Linux
(l'ancien noyau pour secours), ou bien DOS.

Pour obtenir une aide sur la compilation d'un noyau:
http://www.chez.com/rsvj/linux/kernels.html

2me tape: allocation des priphriques pnp isa

-pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf

Editer le fichier /etc/isapnp.conf, supprimer des lignes au besoin, dans la
partie Maxi Sound 64 series, pour obtenir

(READPORT 0x0203)
(ISOLATE CLEAR)
(IDENTIFY *)

(CONFIGURE ESS1868/-1 (LD 0
(DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
(DMA 1 (CHANNEL 3))
(INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
(IO 0 (BASE 0x0220))
(IO 1 (BASE 0x0300))
(IO 2 (BASE 0x0388))
(IO 3 (BASE 0x0800))
(ACT Y)
))

(CONFIGURE ESS1868/-1 (LD 1
(IO 0 (BASE 0x0201))
(ACT Y)
))

(CONFIGURE ESS1868/-1 (LD 2
(IO 0 (BASE 0x0330))
(INT 0 (IRQ 10 (MODE +E)))
(ACT Y)
))

(WAITFORKEY)

Sauvegarder ( p.ex Kedit, il s'agit du menu fichier)

Sous DOS (ou WIN98) inserer le CD-ROM "Maxi Sound 64 Dynamic 3D", la
procdure d'installation commence. Cliquer sur le bouton "installation DOS
rel". Choisissez
le rpertoire, par dfaut C:\DOSMAXI.
Lorsque l'installation est termine, si tout se passe correctement, afficher
le contenu du fichier C:\DOSMAXI\MAXI64.INI.
Pour configurer les adresses d' E/S de la carte sonore, IRQ et DMA,
reprendre les informations contenues dans Maxi64.ini pour les adapter dans
/etc/isapnp.conf. (dans
l'ventualit o d'autres cartes PCI seraient en conflit)

3me tape: Modification du fichier rc.local pour prendre en compte les
nouveaux priphriques au dmarrage.

Aprs avoir configur la carte sonore via isapnp il est ncessaire de
charger les modules son avec les informations d' E/S adquates.
Editer le fichier /etc/rc.d/rc.local, ajouter les lignes

#allocation des priphriques pnp ISA
isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf

#installation des modules pour Guillemot Maxi Sound 64 Dynamic 3D
modprobe sound
insmod uart401
insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=3
insmod mpu401 io=0x330
insmod opl3 io=0x0388
insmod v_midi

Peu importe l'endroit, pour une Mandrake 5.3, par exemple, la suite de
echo >> /etc/issue
Sauvegarder le fichier.

4me tape: utilisation de LOADLIN

Mounter le CD-ROM de la distribution Mandrake 5.3, copier le fichier
loadlin.exe (celui ci se trouve dans le rpertoire /mnt/cdrom/dosutils) sur
le disque de votre W98.

taper (ligne de commande DOS): copy con linux.bat

smartdrv /C
loadlin c:bzImage root=/dev/hdc1 ro
vga=3

CTRL Z

Copiez le noyau /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage sur le disque W98.

Procdure de dmarrage de Linux:

Lorsque l'ordinateur redmarre, au prompt LILO saisir DOS
Taper F8 immdiatement, ensuite slectionner ligne de commande.
Taper Linux + ENTER

En utilisant l'installation propose ci-dessus, la commande cat /dev/sndstat
me donne:

OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux localhost.localdomain 2.2.5 #5 jeu mai 13 23:55:17 CEST 1999
i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: ESS ES1688 AudioDrive (rev 11) (3.1)

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL3

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster

Si cela ne devait pas fonctionner correctement, tu me dis quel endroit et
tu m' envoies le message d'erreur.
Bon courage.

      Olivier LE ROY
      Portable 06 12 02 51 68

Post by Bora » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> [...]

> En utilisant l'installation propose ci-dessus, la commande cat
/dev/sndstat
> me donne:

> OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
> Load type: Driver loaded as a module
> Kernel: Linux localhost.localdomain 2.2.5 #5 jeu mai 13 23:55:17 CEST
1999
> i586
> Config options: 0

> Installed drivers:

> Card config:

> Audio devices:
> 0: ESS ES1688 AudioDrive (rev 11) (3.1)

> Synth devices:
> 0: Yamaha OPL3

> Midi devices:

> Timers:
> 0: System clock

> Mixers:
> 0: Sound Blaster

> Si cela ne devait pas fonctionner correctement, tu me dis quel endroit
                    http://www.searchlinux.com

1. ESS 1869 plug and play audiodrive

Hi,
   I have an ESS 1869 PNP audiodrive on my computers motherboard, so far I
have been unable to hear sound in linux or play music through my cdrom.
   How do I cofigure my motherboards sound chipset?
P.S
   The line out from my cdrom first passes through a video capture card,
an MM100PCTV (television card to be correct) and then on to the
motherboard. I am not sure wheather this card is supported in linux and
have not tried to configure it, could this be the problem?
    I have tried "sndconfig" but I get an error message at the end saying
some thing about I/O settings, even though I checked them in windows
before, and so know they are correct.
   Any help would be much appreciated.
Sincerely.
          JL.

My computer;
Cyrix 266
64Mb RAM
Mandrake 7.0
Dual boot with Windows 98.

2. /dev/fd implementation

3. ESS 1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive soundcard

4. Hosting games behind IP Masquerading!?!

5. * BLFAQ (Brief Linux FAQ With Answers)

6. ES688 AudioDrive (non plug and play)

7. S3 Trio 64V2 DX (775) video card problems - HELP ?

8. ESS Audiodrive ESS-1868 PnP w/ linux

9. ESS INTERNAL MODEM ISA PLUG & PLAY

10. ESS PLUG AND PLAY ISA MODEM INTERNAL 33.6 K

11. Questions: xload, multimodem MT1432, ESS ES1868

12. Plug and Play Install Question