IDE CDROM - SONY CDU-55E

Post by George Daswa » Sun, 15 Jan 1995 06:49:50

Hello.

        Can somebody out there got the CDU-55E IDE cdrom
running?

Well I have version 1.1.80 of the kernel which is supposed to
support the new IDE cdroms..  I compiled it for the second IDE
code (that supports two IDE interfaces).  I also compiled in
IDE CDROM support.  ISO9660 support is also compiled in..

/proc/devices

show that It does have a CDROM
type 22 I think..

System Setup.

VLB IDE controller with secondary IDE port..

IDE port 1 - Connected devices CONNER HDD (MASTER)
             NONE
IDE port 2 - Connected devies SONY CDU-55E IDE (MASTER)
             NONE

Now how do you mount this CDROM?

I reconfigured the system and added

hdc=cdrom
(LILO append)

I also read the README.ide and it said run

MAKEDEV.ide1

so I did a

sh MAKEDEV.ide1

this made some devices files on the /dev
directory

hdc
hdc1
etc.etc.etc.

I do a

ln -sf /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        I'm not sure but it might be backwards but it does show
        me that /dev/cdrom is a link to /dev/hdc

I then editted the

/etc/fstab

added

/dev/hdc /cdrom iso9660 ro

I then also made a /cdrom directory..

Now when I reboot it still doesn't mount (I have a CD - WC3)

it says something like super_io=read_funny (or something like that)
and superbread mount = failed

or something..

What am I doing wrong?
It seems that everything should work..  pointers anyone..

Any help appreciated..

George Daswani

IDE CDROM - SONY CDU-55E

Post by SNY.. » Sun, 15 Jan 1995 17:29:32

   /dev/hdc /cdrom iso9660 ro

   it says something like super_io=read_funny (or something like that)
   and superbread mount = failed

It helps if you report the actual error message, so that we
don't have to guess.  In this case, i guess that it said
`cdrom_start_read: funny request ...'.  You should read README.ide again
and specify `block=2048' as a mount option.

This restriction is hopefully gone in 1.1.81.

sss

1. Sony CDU-55E - Need boot disk image to load linux from cdrom

Hello there,

I just bought a Sony CDU-55E drive, and I have Linux on CD.
I want to load linux on my hard drive from the cd, and I don't
have a boot image to support the CDU-55E drive.  All I have are
the drivers for the Sony CDU31A/33A and CDU-535/531 drives, which
don't support the 55E.

Is there a way that I can load linux from the cd??
Any drivers available for the 55E??
Any help is appreciated as soon as possible.
Thank you very much.

Respond via email if possible.

-Justin

2. Apache CGIs not working

3. CDROM Sony CDU-55E occasional hangup???

4. semi-intelligent disk format tool

5. Sony CDU-55E CDROM Install

6. MWC Coherent master bootstrap and LILO

7. Slackware install using Sony CDU-55e CDROM?

8. Fiber NIC - Linux

9. Driver available for Sony CDU-55E 2X IDE CD-ROM?

10. Sony CDU-55E CDROM -- will the alpha NEC CDR-260 driver work?

11. SONY CDU-55E CDROM??????%#@!!!!!!!!

12. Sony CDU-55E CDROM Drive

13. Sony CDU-55E on 1.1.76