Doubts to build a basic mini linuxbox

Post by Francesco M » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 06:20:17

Hi.

I would like to build a mini PC in order to install any
Linux distribution (I've got experience with RedHat).

This mini PC would be placed into my sleeping-room, and I
don't want it to be noisy.

I don't want any powerful machine, as I want to install a
basic Apache+MySQL+PHP server with no so much traffic.

I'm thinking on a Pentium II with 2Gb HD. No special video
card. Ethernet card.

I've got some doubts:
+) Does any webpage dealing with this topic exist?
+) Does any e-shop sell these processors?
+) Does anybody have any experience?

Regards.

Doubts to build a basic mini linuxbox

Post by Randy Coope » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 08:30:00

Have you considered a mini-itx based system?

No CPU fan, physically small, very quiet.

Randy

On 5 Jun 2003 14:20:17 -0700

--

Doubts to build a basic mini linuxbox

Post by Keith Robert » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 08:55:24

Where can you get these systems at a decent price in the UK?

No CPU fan sounds good to me - I have seen lots of systems broken by CPU fan
failure. This is fun - PC works ok in morning after switch on - by afternoon
starts to get flaky. Seen a couple of PII CPUs burnt out.

Is there a case fan to keep the system cool - or a PSU fan?

> Have you considered a mini-itx based system?

> No CPU fan, physically small, very quiet.

> Randy

> On 5 Jun 2003 14:20:17 -0700

>> Hi.

>> I would like to build a mini PC in order to install any
>> Linux distribution (I've got experience with RedHat).

>> This mini PC would be placed into my sleeping-room, and I
>> don't want it to be noisy.

>> I don't want any powerful machine, as I want to install a
>> basic Apache+MySQL+PHP server with no so much traffic.

>> I'm thinking on a Pentium II with 2Gb HD. No special video
>> card. Ethernet card.

>> I've got some doubts:
>> +) Does any webpage dealing with this topic exist?
>> +) Does any e-shop sell these processors?
>> +) Does anybody have any experience?

>> Regards.

Doubts to build a basic mini linuxbox

Post by Randy Coope » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 10:35:12

Hi,

Check out http://www.mini-itx.com/. I believe they are located in the U.K. There is lots of good information regarding products and suppliers.

Randy

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 23:55:24 +0000 (UTC)

--

Doubts to build a basic mini linuxbox

Post by Markus Hoffman » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 15:32:01

Quote:> This mini PC would be placed into my sleeping-room, and I
> don't want it to be noisy.

Have you concidered a Flash-Memory-card in replacement of the Harddisks?
This is very quiet. Maybe you have a 4 in one-Cardreader, it might be
possible to set up a linux system which can boot from these devices.

regards
M.

Doubts to build a basic mini linuxbox

Post by Keith Robert » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 01:30:03

Good luck with the heatsink - in the past I have had difficulty getting
heatsink/fan units for older model CPU's - as soon as Intel drop older
models in favour of new ones - so do all the support part manufactures it
seems. Had to modify heatsinks using new fans on old heatsinks.
The problem is that the idustry moves so fast that new designs come out all
the time. A new Intel CPU design means that you need new motherboards,
heatsinks, memory etc. It is fun when you are trying to specify hardware for
customers and all the parts are changed round. As soon as you find something
really reliable it all changes.

>> Where can you get these systems at a decent price in the UK?

>> No CPU fan sounds good to me - I have seen lots of systems broken by
>> CPU fan failure. This is fun - PC works ok in morning after switch
>> on - by afternoon starts to get flaky. Seen a couple of PII CPUs
>> burnt out.

>> Is there a case fan to keep the system cool - or a PSU fan?

> Try http://www.mini-itx.com/

> They do have fanless boards but only at the low end of the range.
> However, it is possible to customise your own large heatsink and
> remove the fan.

> My Duron 700 system is suffering fan failure at the moment, it's
> making noises and the temperature monitor is reporting the CPU at
> 70C. Time to take it to bits and clean the fan. I did get a new
> heatsink but modern ones are too big to fit in the available space in
> that case :-(

> Dave

Doubts to build a basic mini linuxbox

Post by Francesco M » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 18:42:28

Thank you very much for answering and providing the URL.

One question. Wich is the power supply for VIA EPIA M Mainboard?

Regards.

> Have you considered a mini-itx based system?

> No CPU fan, physically small, very quiet.

> Randy

> On 5 Jun 2003 14:20:17 -0700

> > Hi.

> > I would like to build a mini PC in order to install any
> > Linux distribution (I've got experience with RedHat).

> > This mini PC would be placed into my sleeping-room, and I
> > don't want it to be noisy.

> > I don't want any powerful machine, as I want to install a
> > basic Apache+MySQL+PHP server with no so much traffic.

> > I'm thinking on a Pentium II with 2Gb HD. No special video
> > card. Ethernet card.

> > I've got some doubts:
> > +) Does any webpage dealing with this topic exist?
> > +) Does any e-shop sell these processors?
> > +) Does anybody have any experience?

> > Regards.

Doubts to build a basic mini linuxbox

Post by Francesco M » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 18:49:34

Hi Markus.

Thank you very much for answering.

Are these USB Memory cards supported by kernel 2.4.x?

Post by Sales for IDE-CF flash dri » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 01:23:13

> Hi Markus.

> Thank you very much for answering.

> Are these USB Memory cards supported by kernel 2.4.x?

Not too many PC can boot from USB.

This IDE flash drive work with any PC with an IDE connector.
See http://ide-cf.info-for.us

> > > This mini PC would be placed into my sleeping-room, and I
> > > don't want it to be noisy.

A system with a VIA C3 and IDE-CF can run without any fan.  You can
even disable the power supply fan, for a system with 0db noise.
Quote:

Post by Robert E A Harv » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 01:33:31

> Thank you very much for answering and providing the URL.

> One question. Wich is the power supply for VIA EPIA M Mainboard?

I asked VIA for current consumption and they referred me to:
http://www.viavpsd.com/product/3/4/EPIA%20M%20Operating%20Guidelines.pdf

http://www.viavpsd.com/product/3/4/EPIA_operating_guidelines.pdf
covers the original boards, by the way.

I've bought a 150W mini-atx psu from www.farnell.co.uk quite cheaply,
thier part number 3942326 .  Perfect for the M10000, which needs 90W
plus some for the disk drives.

Doubts to build a basic mini linuxbox

Post by Ian Gi » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 11:15:54

See www.openbrick.org for similar products especially devoloped for open
source. Includes itx and an even smaller system.

Ian

1. Debian 2.1 Linuxbox won't ping my other Linuxbox

Hi,
    I know that my hardware is ok because I had Redhat 5.1 on
the system and it was networked well with my other computer.
I just installed Debian 2.1 on the same computer by changing drives
so only one system is on and one drive in the system.
When I do ifconfig, I get both lo and eth0 listed with
my assigned ip of 10.0.0.2 for the computer. I can ping 10.0.0.2
but I can't ping my other computer. I can ping localhost also.
I don't now where the various config files are for the network
in Debian. The the file that I know of is /etc/networks. I don't
know what the minimum config that is needed to set up
a network card. If I do lsmod, it lists the ethernet modules
for my card. The only thing that I can think of at this point
is maybe the route has to be set up properly.
  Anyone know if there is a network setup utility in Debian?

                                                Thanks

                                                        Mike

2. Q: how to query DNS

3. Basic Shell Doubt

4. Icon V9.0 X Windows Question

5. Basic doubt::Shared object/library

6. Nobody&Charlie@mydomain !!!!

7. GFP_KERNEL doubt!! <was Tasklet doubt!>

8. bar command

9. mini install BASIC Linux

10. mini BASIC Linux

11. mini install BASIC Linux

12. MINI-HOWTO: Building and Installing sendmail 8.8.x (was Re: security breach!)