mounting 2nd hd

Post by Macy » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Im trying to mount a 2nd hard drive.  Whenever I try to mount it the message
comes up that the fs is supported by the kernel.  My windows machine can see
and open the file but there's nothing in there.  What could be my problem?

mounting 2nd hd

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Im trying to mount a 2nd hard drive.  Whenever I try to mount it the
> message comes up that the fs is supported by the kernel.  My windows
> machine can see and open the file but there's nothing in there.  What
> could be my problem?

I suppose that you mean that the error message was that the fs was _not_
supported by the kernel?

Did you upgrade your windows version recently? Every new version of
Windows brings at least one new file system type to the computer world
as older file windows systems has limitations which make them unusable
in some way.

Win95 brought us vfat, Win98 gave us FAT32, NT gave us NTFS and in some
strange Win95 version between Win95 and Win98 they gave us the joliet
extension. I suppose that Win2000 will give us yet another file system
also.

Make sure that you have a recent kernel which supports your filesystem.
To see which filesystems your kernel supports you could do:

cat /proc/filesystems

To get a clue what filesystem your Windows installation is using you
could try:

/sbin/fdisk -l

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:

1. Help with mounting 2nd HD

We have an old 486 machine running 3.2v4.2 with a 240M HD in it.  This
machine does not have any networking configured or tape backup device
installed, just a floppy.  We have a new machine, Dell GX1 400 with one 2G
HD, running 5.0.5a.  There is some data on the old drive, 100M or so, that
we need to move to the new drive.  The drives are installed and configured
as Master(new)/Slave(old) on the primary IDE controller, with the CD-ROM on
the secondary controller alone.

Can we install (mount) the old drive under the new system?  If so, how?
We've tried to mount it using the GUI method, but there isn't any thing in
the drop down listing that looks remotely close to the new drive.  All we
need to do is be able to copy files from one drive to the other.  We're new
to SCO and Unix, so as much detail as possible would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Payne

2. C++ Contract opportunity in Seattle area excellent $$.

3. Q: Install LILO on 2nd HD, remove 1st hd, boot from 2nd?

4. linuxfet

5. Mounting/Partitioning of 2nd IDE-HD

6. Need help in mounting scsi cdrom

7. How to mount /usr and /home to my 2nd Linux HD

8. solaris2.6 plugin 1.2.2

9. Problems with 2nd HD on 2nd Adaptec 2940

10. Problems with 2nd HD on 2nd Adaptec 294

11. install on different system (2nd HD->1st HD)

12. HD blues.. linux does not see 2nd HD

13. 2nd HD/removable HD