SCSI RAID 5

Post by mgreen.. » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 07:23:00

I have inherited 2 working drives from a RAID 5 hardware
configuration...unfortunately thats about all i know about the two of
them

I am wondering how I might be able to get the data off of them...

Thanks
Mark

SCSI RAID 5

Post by buck » Thu, 15 Jun 2006 02:07:39

Quote:>I have inherited 2 working drives from a RAID 5 hardware
>configuration...unfortunately thats about all i know about the two of
>them

>I am wondering how I might be able to get the data off of them...

>Thanks
>Mark

You can't.

Maybe next time you could post some facts?

Unless you have the original controller with the cables still attached
to the 2 remaining drives, you're fscked because you have no clue
which disk is which.  If you did, you could just add the third drive
and the RAID would rebuild the stripe set from what remains on the 2
disks you have - assuming there were 3 (the mininum for RAID5) drives
in the first place.  If there were originally more than 3 drives, then
the 2 remaining are not enough to rebuild from.
--
buck

1. soft ide raid (5?) vs. SCSI raid

* Has anyone run benchmarks on a software ide raid system vs. a similar
scsi system?  The 80gb ide hard disks are so cheap, it seems sinful to
pay up for 3 scsi drives when 3 ide drives can do.

* I am a bit concerned about hooking up 3 ide drives, though.  I presume
I shall need a second ide controller (my current one is absorbed by one
zip, one dvd, one cd-rom, and one backup hd).  Any difficulties with
this?

* (Also, I have an old SCSI raid with 2 9gb disks.  Can I buy a 12gb
scsi disk, and use the three in an 18gb raid-5 configuration, or do all
three drives have to be exactly alike?)

/iaw

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. Monitoring memory usage of "heavy" apps? How?

3. IDE RAID vs. SCSI RAID

4. IPX and NetBSD?

5. Mounting a RAID-0 partition on an IDE-SCSI/RAID Promise Lite controller

6. Weird Win-key behaviour.

7. SCSI->SCSI raid 5 controller?

8. browser launch from evolution

9. Syred SCSI-to-SCSI RAID

10. scsi raid controller DAC960 - No HD found

11. can 2 linux machines talk to a dual port scsi raid system ??

12. SCSI RAID controllers supported by Linux, available ?

13. Storedge 3310 SCSI RAID Array: Disapointed