#9 Motion 771 Graphics card woes

Post by Martin J. Eva » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

I bought a Motion 771 2Meg graphics card and an Idek Iiyama 8617E
monitor about 6 months ago and it has never worked to my satisfaction.
All dark text on light backgrounds has a very definite bright white
shadow to the right. I borrowed a Vision 330 card and this is crystal
clear and I have tried other monitors with the 771 and shadows do not
go away. (My monitor leads are BNC and have the ferrites at both ends)

After 2 weeks and many phone calls to #9 technical support they asked
me to return the card for replacement. 8 weeks later (as the first box
to arrive from them had no card in it) I have a replacement and it is
even worse than before. Worse still, the card nolonger draws polygons
correctly whereas the previous one did. This card is EPROM number
2.05.09 and the previous one with working polygon support was an
earlier number.

I run Windows 95 and Linux, its as bad in both and have had to add
Polygon=0 to the [DISPLAY] section of my system.ini to cure the
polygon problem.

Has anyone else had similar problems with the 771? Its quite an
expensive card and yet the clarity on the cheaper Vision 330 is
significantly better.
--

Leeds, UK

#9 Motion 771 Graphics card woes

Post by Sean Christopher Farl » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

I use the #9 771 (4 meg) with the Iiyama 8617E successfully.  I am not
the best about hardware, but have you checked the BIOS setting for the
graphics card used?  Mine is set on VGA (or maybe SVGA I am not sure).

Also, have you tried different PCI slots for the card?  Maybe the slot on
the motherboard is failing to work properly.

Other people will probably have better ideas. :)

Sean
--
Sean C. Farley

PGP 2.6.2 key using finger or WWW
WWW Homepage is:  http://www.cs.purdue.edu/people/farleysc

#9 Motion 771 Graphics card woes

Post by Captain Octa » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I bought a Motion 771 2Meg graphics card and an Idek Iiyama 8617E
>monitor about 6 months ago and it has never worked to my satisfaction.
>All dark text on light backgrounds has a very definite bright white
>shadow to the right. I borrowed a Vision 330 card and this is crystal
>clear and I have tried other monitors with the 771 and shadows do not
>go away. (My monitor leads are BNC and have the ferrites at both ends)

Martin,

I have seen both Linux 1.2.13 running XFree86 3.1.2D and Windows 95 at
various resolutions on very nearly the same setup as you have, and the
clarity was excellent, not even a hint of "shadows".  The Motion 771
was purchased about 2 months ago and the monitor is the higher end
Iiyama 17" (With the Diamondtron tube).

However, it is possible that the cable is suspect, as the configuration I
viewed did not use the BNCs!

-Mike
         "It's art, man.  It's not about what you want."  - Seann Ives

#9 Motion 771 Graphics card woes

Post by Greyloc » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00

The only problems I have had is 640x480 mode in XFree86.  I also have
problem with the monitor turning off sometimes in certain modes (totally
black screen).  I don't know is this is due to the card or the monitor.
It's kind of cool to exit a program when you can't see.

#9 Motion 771 Graphics card woes

Post by Joe Smulowi » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

|>I bought a Motion 771 2Meg graphics card and an Idek Iiyama 8617E
|>monitor about 6 months ago and it has never worked to my satisfaction.
|>All dark text on light backgrounds has a very definite bright white
|>shadow to the right. I borrowed a Vision 330 card and this is crystal
|>clear and I have tried other monitors with the 771 and shadows do not
|>go away. (My monitor leads are BNC and have the ferrites at both ends)

|I have seen both Linux 1.2.13 running XFree86 3.1.2D and Windows 95 at
|various resolutions on very nearly the same setup as you have, and the
|clarity was excellent, not even a hint of "shadows".  The Motion 771
|was purchased about 2 months ago and the monitor is the higher end
|Iiyama 17" (With the Diamondtron tube).

|However, it is possible that the cable is suspect, as the configuration I
|viewed did not use the BNCs!

Indeed,  the  symptoms  you  describe  could  be  a  ghost  due  to   improper
termination.   I  too would suspect the cable type and the termination setting
of the monitor.  Be sure the  termination  matches  the  cable  characteristic
impedance.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

   /___  ___    Hewlett-Packard  ~~  Patient Monitoring R+D
  /   / /  /        Mailstop 450, 3000 Minuteman Road       Tel: 508-659-3760
 /   / /__/           Andover, Massachusetts  01810         Fax: 508-685-3577
      /
     /        50 EA 8B 22 A0 59 60 D5  DD 4B 04 04 12 26 2E 16
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

#9 Motion 771 Graphics card woes

Post by David S. Reis » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I bought a Motion 771 2Meg graphics card and an Idek Iiyama 8617E
>monitor about 6 months ago and it has never worked to my satisfaction.
>All dark text on light backgrounds has a very definite bright white
>shadow to the right. I borrowed a Vision 330 card and this is crystal
>clear and I have tried other monitors with the 771 and shadows do not
>go away. (My monitor leads are BNC and have the ferrites at both ends)

>Has anyone else had similar problems with the 771? Its quite an
>expensive card and yet the clarity on the cheaper Vision 330 is
>significantly better.
>--

    Martin,
        I have an identical configuration (Motion 771 2 meg card,
    Iiyama 8617E) and am having the exact same problems. The light
    shadow one pixel to the right of dark text makes for a very
    unpleasant, jarring display. Very hard to look at text for long.
    Spoke to Iiyama yesterday, they are sending me a new longer video
    cable to try - sounds like you may already have the improved
    cable. This is a dissapointing combination of highly rated
    components. Hope that it turns out to be the 771 and not the
    Iiyama, as the video card will be much easier for me to replace.

                             thanks for info,

                                  David S. Reiser

#9 Motion 771 Graphics card woes

Post by Peter Svenss » Sun, 02 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>        I have an identical configuration (Motion 771 2 meg card,
>    Iiyama 8617E) and am having the exact same problems. The light
>    shadow one pixel to the right of dark text makes for a very
>    unpleasant, jarring display. Very hard to look at text for long.
>    Spoke to Iiyama yesterday, they are sending me a new longer video
>    cable to try - sounds like you may already have the improved
>    cable. This is a dissapointing combination of highly rated
>    components. Hope that it turns out to be the 771 and not the
>    Iiyama, as the video card will be much easier for me to replace.

This sounds very much like the monitor not terminating the video cables
with the correct resistance, thus causing reflections, or even liklier
the cables are not made to spec.

The cables are normally 75 ohm.

Peter

#9 Motion 771 Graphics card woes

Post by Javaan Singh Cha » Mon, 03 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: >I bought a Motion 771 2Meg graphics card and an Idek Iiyama 8617E
: >monitor about 6 months ago and it has never worked to my satisfaction.
: >All dark text on light backgrounds has a very definite bright white
: >shadow to the right. I borrowed a Vision 330 card and this is crystal
: >clear and I have tried other monitors with the 771 and shadows do not
: >go away. (My monitor leads are BNC and have the ferrites at both ends)

: .....
: >Has anyone else had similar problems with the 771? Its quite an
: >expensive card and yet the clarity on the cheaper Vision 330 is
: >significantly better.
: >--

:     Martin,
:         I have an identical configuration (Motion 771 2 meg card,
:     Iiyama 8617E) and am having the exact same problems. The light
:     shadow one pixel to the right of dark text makes for a very
:     unpleasant, jarring display. Very hard to look at text for long.
:     Spoke to Iiyama yesterday, they are sending me a new longer video
:     cable to try - sounds like you may already have the improved
:     cable. This is a dissapointing combination of highly rated
:     components. Hope that it turns out to be the 771 and not the
:     Iiyama, as the video card will be much easier for me to replace.

:                              thanks for info,

:                                   David S. Reiser

We have a similar problem, although it is entirely our fault. I have a
Diamond Stealth in my machine operating at a dot clock of 125MHz using the
Video cable off an old VGA monitor on an RGB sync on green workstation
monitor - it works fine. The system on the other side of the room has a #9
771 with an identical monitor, and a very similar pixel clock rate HOWEVER
the cable is a so called "VGA extention cable" which has no shielding, and
is basically a pathetic cable unsuited to high frequency signals, we get
lots of shadows and so forth, and the ferrites make absolutely no
difference, they just move the reflections around. When my cable is put on
this machine the shadow disappears.

The problem is poorly matched impedances of the cable/monitor combination to
the VGA card. This leads to the signal being reflected around inside the
cable which is why you see these negative echoes of lines and things. These
problems become worse at high frequencies (ie high dot clocks).

If other VGA cards operating at the same dot clock on the same monitors do
not suffer from this problem then it is something to do with the output
impedance of the 771.

The solution is to try another VGA cable (unless your cable is actually
soldered into the monitor and not just plugged in). And failing this
another VGA card :-(

|    Biorobotic Vision Laboratory,      |                             |
|     Centre for Visual Sciences,       |http://cvs.anu.edu.au/javaan/|
|Research School of Biological Sciences,|_____________________________|
|   Australian National University,     |"hello world\n"|<---Quotation|
|           Canberra, ACT,              |Kernighan &    |_____________|
|             Australia.                |Ritchie, 1978  |      |______|
|_______________________________________|_______________|______|___|__|

1. ATI Graphics Pro turbo or Number Nine 9FX Motion 771

Which one of these cards would you get?

I am looking for a PCI video card with 4 megs.  I have roughly
narrowed it down to ATI Graphics Pro turbo or Number Nine 9FX Motion
771

I will be using it mostly under Xfree in 32 bit color mode at
1024x768 ( roughly ).  Is there any problem with either of these
cards at this resolution or color depth?

Also,  I will also be using it occassionaly under windows 95 and
dos for games.

Any preferences?  Is there something better?  Is there some wonderful
card for $30 that I just missed :) ?

Mikey

2. large file support on Sun solaris

3. #9 Motion 771 VLB card on OSR5

4. size of pipe

5. #9 Motion 771 PCI Video Card

6. PPP overwriting /etc/resolv.conf

7. Advice needed for Nmber 9 FX Motion 771 video card

8. Help! How to change from sco XENIX to sco Unix

9. #9 Motion 771 PCI Video Card

10. Video-card problem with #9 9FS Motion 771

11. Looking for replacement to Motion 771 card

12. newbie problem with #9 FX Motion 771 card

13. Need HELP with #9 Motion 771 video card