Graphics Accelerator Card

Post by Andrew P. Billyar » Mon, 17 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Forgive me if this has been asked a million times, but....

I currently have a Rage IIc as a video card in my Linux Box (running Red
Hat 6.2, with 128 Megs on a K6-2/500 CPU) and I was considering buying a
graphics accelerator card (I downloaded Quake III arena  to try.....its
like watching a slide show!).  Does anyone have any recommendations on a
good, but reasonably inexpensive accelerator card?

In respect to asking previous asked questions, are there any archives to
these newsgroups?

Cheers,
Andrew

--

Graphics Accelerator Card

Post by Calvin N. Hobbe » Mon, 17 Jul 2000 04:00:00

The important thing here is to find a video card that has "accelerated"
drivers in your Linux distribution.  Usually they're slighty old video cards
with 1 or 2 generations down.  I think ATI cards are Linux friendly, but
check your hardware compatibilty list and look for a card that doesn't use
generic drivers like SVGA.

> Forgive me if this has been asked a million times, but....

> I currently have a Rage IIc as a video card in my Linux Box (running Red
> Hat 6.2, with 128 Megs on a K6-2/500 CPU) and I was considering buying a
> graphics accelerator card (I downloaded Quake III arena  to try.....its
> like watching a slide show!).  Does anyone have any recommendations on a
> good, but reasonably inexpensive accelerator card?

> In respect to asking previous asked questions, are there any archives to
> these newsgroups?

> Cheers,
> Andrew

> --

Graphics Accelerator Card

Post by Ez-Ato » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I use Voodoo 3000. It works just like charm (better then on Windows). I d/l
the drivers from http://linux.3dfx.com and I'm very happy with it.
There are no drivers yet fr the Voodoo5500, but there are drivers (built in)
for the Riva TNT (1 and 2).
To use the GeForce, you need to d/l drivers.
Voodoo 2 has it's own howto, but it should be simple enough to install.

The bottom line: All the big ones but the Voodoo5500 - you'll find drivers
for!

--

Ez
Smoking doesn't kill.

> Forgive me if this has been asked a million times, but....

> I currently have a Rage IIc as a video card in my Linux Box (running Red
> Hat 6.2, with 128 Megs on a K6-2/500 CPU) and I was considering buying a
> graphics accelerator card (I downloaded Quake III arena  to try.....its
> like watching a slide show!).  Does anyone have any recommendations on a
> good, but reasonably inexpensive accelerator card?

> In respect to asking previous asked questions, are there any archives to
> these newsgroups?

> Cheers,
> Andrew

> --

Graphics Accelerator Card

Post by Thomas Kocha » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

NVidia just released the Geforce2 MX chip, which should be in video cards
pretty soon. It offers pretty good performance for the $$. Its supposed to
be around $120.

> Forgive me if this has been asked a million times, but....

> I currently have a Rage IIc as a video card in my Linux Box (running Red
> Hat 6.2, with 128 Megs on a K6-2/500 CPU) and I was considering buying a
> graphics accelerator card (I downloaded Quake III arena  to try.....its
> like watching a slide show!).  Does anyone have any recommendations on a
> good, but reasonably inexpensive accelerator card?

> In respect to asking previous asked questions, are there any archives to
> these newsgroups?

> Cheers,
> Andrew

> --

Graphics Accelerator Card

Post by Nathan Appleto » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Have a look at Linux Hardware Database's (www.linhardware.com) graphics
cards category for compatiblity and performance ratings for graphics cards.

http://www.linhardware.com/db/searchproduct.cgi?_catid=8

> Forgive me if this has been asked a million times, but....

> I currently have a Rage IIc as a video card in my Linux Box (running Red
> Hat 6.2, with 128 Megs on a K6-2/500 CPU) and I was considering buying a
> graphics accelerator card (I downloaded Quake III arena  to try.....its
> like watching a slide show!).  Does anyone have any recommendations on a
> good, but reasonably inexpensive accelerator card?

> In respect to asking previous asked questions, are there any archives to
> these newsgroups?

> Cheers,
> Andrew

> --

1. Bahamas 64 Graphics Accelerator Card

I am thinking of buying a Bahamas 64 Graphics Accelerator Card.  Does any one know if it is
supported under XFree86.  I do not know the chipset yet.  I would appreciate any comment,
suggestions or recommendations. I have a 486 computer with VESA bus.  The card is advertised for
$64.95 with 2MB memory on board.  Thank you.

                                                                        Ram Kochhar

2. Advanced File and Print Server

3. STB LightSpeed 3300 Graphic Accelerator card drivers needed ...!

4. Benchmarks and relative speeds

5. how to find the type of Graphics card/accelerator on the E4000 box

6. HP 7200i CD-Writer won't work on one system, will in another!

7. Recommend which accelerator/graphics card for X?

8. Switch from Gnome to KDE

9. #9FX Motions Graphics Accelerator and AWE32 Sound Card

10. openGL Graphics card/all around graphics card recommendations?

11. VooDoo 2 Graphics Accelerator

12. Diamond Stealth64 2201 Graphics Accelerator

13. SunFire V250 + XVR-100 Graphics Accelerator