Linux/Minix and the H.P. Omnibook 300

Post by John P. Rayn » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Has anyone successfully installed Linux (or Minix) on a
Hewlett Packard Omnibook 300?  I realize that the Omnibook 300
is at the very bottom edge of the "Linux-viable" spectrum,
but I thought it might be an interesting learning experience.
Is Linux capable of recognizing (and booting from) the
Omnibook's internal type-III PCMCIA hard drive?  Does anyone
have any suggestions/experiences?
                                                  - J. Raynor

Linux/Minix and the H.P. Omnibook 300

Post by John P. Rayn » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: Has anyone successfully installed Linux (or Minix) on a
: Hewlett Packard Omnibook 300?  I realize that the Omnibook 300
: is at the very bottom edge of the "Linux-viable" spectrum,
: but I thought it might be an interesting learning experience.
: Is Linux capable of recognizing (and booting from) the
: Omnibook's internal type-III PCMCIA hard drive?  Does anyone
: have any suggestions/experiences?

My apologies for posting a follow-up message to my own thread,
but I have to add that the Omnibook 300 in question has a
whole *4* megabytes of RAM installed, not 2.
                                                  - J. Raynor

Linux/Minix and the H.P. Omnibook 300

Post by al » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

There are sites for linux on notebooks
http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html gives list of sites
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/  linux laptop home page
http://hyper.stanford.edu/HyperNews/get/pcmcia/home.html linux pcmcia  info
http://www.castle.net/X-notebook/ linux and xwindows on notebooks

on the linux.org page is a list of supported models but Hp omni 300 is not
there

shoud be able to get a basic distribution going but may have to give x a
miss.should consider using an older version of slackware(less gui than
redhat)
may also want to have a look at freebsd www.freebsd.org or
www.freebsdrocks.com

Post by memo.. » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>: Has anyone successfully installed Linux (or Minix) on a
>: Hewlett Packard Omnibook 300?  I realize that the Omnibook 300
>: is at the very bottom edge of the "Linux-viable" spectrum,
>: but I thought it might be an interesting learning experience.
>: Is Linux capable of recognizing (and booting from) the
>: Omnibook's internal type-III PCMCIA hard drive?  Does anyone
>: have any suggestions/experiences?

>My apologies for posting a follow-up message to my own thread,
>but I have to add that the Omnibook 300 in question has a
>whole *4* megabytes of RAM installed, not 2.

You might look into/for something called Monkey Linux.
I don't know if it is still being supported, but it is
a mini-linux system that fits on 5 floppies, I think.

I don't have a clue when it comes to booting off of
PCMCIA cards.

Ask these folks for suggestions, they have experience
in fitting linux into odd places ;-)

        http://wearables.stanford.edu

Linux/Minix and the H.P. Omnibook 300

Post by Karel Janse » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:42:04, "al"

> There are sites for linux on notebooks
> http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html gives list of sites
> http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/  linux laptop home page
> http://hyper.stanford.edu/HyperNews/get/pcmcia/home.html linux pcmcia  info
> http://www.castle.net/X-notebook/ linux and xwindows on notebooks

> on the linux.org page is a list of supported models but Hp omni 300 is not
> there

> shoud be able to get a basic distribution going but may have to give x a
> miss.should consider using an older version of slackware(less gui than
> redhat)
> may also want to have a look at freebsd www.freebsd.org or
> www.freebsdrocks.com

> >Has anyone successfully installed Linux (or Minix) on a
> >Hewlett Packard Omnibook 300?  I realize that the Omnibook 300
> >is at the very bottom edge of the "Linux-viable" spectrum,
> >but I thought it might be an interesting learning experience.
> >Is Linux capable of recognizing (and booting from) the
> >Omnibook's internal type-III PCMCIA hard drive?  Does anyone
> >have any suggestions/experiences?
> >                                                  - J. Raynor

I've been told that the OB 300 to 530 have a non-standard keyboard that
Linux cannot recognize. The pop-up mouse also refuses to be alive together
with Linux. Screen and PCMCIA slots should be OK, though (the PCMCIA slots
are somewhat HP proprietary, but Linux seems to have no problems with
them).

Linux has been successfully installed on a OB 600, but nothing below that.
(I have a 425 that harks at Linux - of course, having only 50 M of flash
memory to play with would limit the usefulness of a Linux installation in
any case).

Minix? No idea.

Karel Jansens
jansens_at_ibm_dot_net

If we could have our cake and eat it,
people would start whining about seconds.

Linux/Minix and the H.P. Omnibook 300

Post by Mike Burg » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:42:04, "al"

> http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/  linux laptop home page

<snip>

> >Has anyone successfully installed Linux (or Minix) on a
> >Hewlett Packard Omnibook 300?  I realize that the Omnibook 300
> >is at the very bottom edge of the "Linux-viable" spectrum,
> >but I thought it might be an interesting learning experience.
> >Is Linux capable of recognizing (and booting from) the
> >Omnibook's internal type-III PCMCIA hard drive?  Does anyone
> >have any suggestions/experiences?
> >                                                  - J. Raynor

I do have an HP 600CTX available, if Mr. Raynor is interested.  I do
not have the port replicator, noted in the laptop howto
(www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop, follow the link to
HP600), but I would
imagine it might still be available.

Mr. Raynor may contact me, directly, if he's interested.

| Michael Burger                | To send mail directly,                 |
| CompuCom Information  | reply to:                      |
| Services                      |                                |

| http://www.compucomis.net       |                                |