NEC Quad Changer CDROM?

Post by Chris Beaurega » Fri, 17 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>> Has anoyone got any multichanger CDs runing under Linux?

>Yup, the NEC 4x4.

>> Can I in effect have 4 cds mounted all the time and when people want to look
>> at a different cd the drive changes over automatically or do I have to
>> physically press a change button or something?

>No on both counts. The way it works is as follows: You mount *one* CD.
>If you just do a mount, that'll be the one in slot 0. If you want to
>change disks, you must unmount the currently mounted one, use 'eject'
>(or the program which source is in /usr/src/linux/doc/cdrom/idecd.txt)
>to change the current active slot and remount the CD.

I assume that this refers to the IDE multichanger, because my
Nakamichi MBR-7 looks to me like 7 different SCSI CD-ROMs, swapping
CD's everytime I access a different disk.

I'd be willing to bet that it would be fairly easy to do something
similar with your multichanger...

c.

NEC Quad Changer CDROM?

Post by Ian Farr » Fri, 17 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Has anoyone got any multichanger CDs runing under Linux?
I have looked in the kernel source and see its supported but I am not sure
quite how the multichanging works....

Can I in effect have 4 cds mounted all the time and when people want to look
at a different cd the drive changes over automatically or do I have to
physically press a change button or something?

(How t works under windows would be useful too :)

Ian Farrer

NEC Quad Changer CDROM?

Post by M.C. van den Bovenkam » Fri, 17 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Has anoyone got any multichanger CDs runing under Linux?

Yup, the NEC 4x4.

Quote:> Can I in effect have 4 cds mounted all the time and when people want to look
> at a different cd the drive changes over automatically or do I have to
> physically press a change button or something?

No on both counts. The way it works is as follows: You mount *one* CD.
If you just do a mount, that'll be the one in slot 0. If you want to
change disks, you must unmount the currently mounted one, use 'eject'
(or the program which source is in /usr/src/linux/doc/cdrom/idecd.txt)
to change the current active slot and remount the CD.

                Regards,

--
                        Marco van den Bovenkamp.

        IT Network Engineer,

        Lucent Technologies Nederland.
        Room: HVS BGS 16
        Tel.: (+31-35-687)2724

NEC Quad Changer CDROM?

Post by M.C. van den Bovenkam » Sat, 18 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I assume that this refers to the IDE multichanger, because my
> Nakamichi MBR-7 looks to me like 7 different SCSI CD-ROMs, swapping
> CD's everytime I access a different disk.

Yes, it's the IDE one. Works quite well, too.

Quote:> I'd be willing to bet that it would be fairly easy to do something
> similar with your multichanger...

As far as I know, the IDE changer support isn't doing that (yet).

                Regards,

--

Post by david parso » Sat, 18 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>Has anoyone got any multichanger CDs runing under Linux?

  Two of 'em so far; a Nakamichi 2x7 unit and a Nakamichi 8x4 unit.
  Both of 'em are SCSI and can address each CD individually; all that's
  needed is to mount the offending disks and when you cd into their
  directory trees the changer changes over to the proper disk.

  Dunno about Windows; I've now got the 2x7 on an Axis Storpoint and the
  4x4 is served with Samba.

                ____

                 \/

NEC Quad Changer CDROM?

Post by vp24n.. » Sat, 18 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I assume that this refers to the IDE multichanger, because my
>Nakamichi MBR-7 looks to me like 7 different SCSI CD-ROMs, swapping
>CD's everytime I access a different disk.

You would be assuming correctly.
By probing individual LUNS, you can use a SCSI changer in Linux.

Quote:>I'd be willing to bet that it would be fairly easy to do something
>similar with your multichanger...

Unfortunately, its not that easy in IDE.
There is no LUN facility to differentiate virtual devices.

NEC Quad Changer CDROM?

Post by the mast » Sun, 19 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: >Has anoyone got any multichanger CDs runing under Linux?

:   Two of 'em so far; a Nakamichi 2x7 unit and a Nakamichi 8x4 unit.
:   Both of 'em are SCSI and can address each CD individually; all that's
:   needed is to mount the offending disks and when you cd into their
:   directory trees the changer changes over to the proper disk.

:                  \/

I've got the NEC 4Xc working on my system, 7-disc changer external SCSI-2
using ISA Adaptec 1522 SCSI controller.

And works just as described above, when disc needs to be accessed the changer
changes to the appropriate disc, seems to take about a second after the
command is entered before changer starts changing.

the 'df' command shows all discs mounted that have been mounted, and in
their appropriate directories, need to use a different mount directory
for each disc.  I just use a simple script to mount the discs.

cdrmount:

mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/sr${1} /NEC4Xc/sr${1}

then I have more convenient names in a cds directory linked to the NEC4Xc dirs

That's all for now.

]M- XEU?_ ?+_? WV?v ?F |tZ?F &?< tQj & ??|_ Ph? ?F PV< ?|_
PG RP?|_ P ?|_ P__ a- ?FnW+ ?Fn_ joj j j j j j j 5 ++^_MM?_

NO CARRIER

NEC Quad Changer CDROM?

Post by Frank Herte » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Can I in effect have 4 cds mounted all the time and when people want to
look
> at a different cd the drive changes over automatically or do I have to
> physically press a change button or something?

> (How t works under windows would be useful too :)

Hello,

I have a Nakamichi MBR-7 (SCSI). With this drive, you can mount all seven
CD-s and it will
automatically change to the right disk. However, with kernel source 2.0.2x,
multisession is
not supported. I have changed the driver to support this (from 2.1.xx
sources).

Best regards
 Frank

---
Udicom Computer Systeme

Bachgasse 15
D-67591 Moerstadt  / Germany

1. Problems with a NEC CDR-271 quad speed cdrom.

I have a NEC CDR-271 quad speed CDROM with an IDE interface. Does a driver
exist to support this? I have tried to mount the NEC CDR-260 driver, but
this seems to have problems.

        mount /dev/nec260 /cdrom

        RESULTS:
        long message with three possibilities telling me it can't mount
        the CD.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

--

2. Wanted - color xterm port to aix/RS6000

3. Linux not seeing NEC Quad speed CDROM & SB Card

4. LILO not loading up all the way.

5. NEC IDE/ATAPI Quad-speed CDROM Drive

6. Installing over PCMCIA Ethernet

7. NEC CDR-4300 Multi-platter CDROM Changer

8. Linux for Windows users handbook?

9. NEC IDE CDROM changer and IDESCSI?

10. NEC-2Xc 7 disk cdrom changer and NEtBSD-1.1

11. nec 4x4 ide/atapi cdrom changer

12. NEC 7 cd changer CDROM help

13. Nec CDRom Changer