HELP! Sony CDU33a CD-ROM

Post by Randy Cho » Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to install Linux Red Hat 4.2 using a Sony cd-rom that is
connected to a sound blaster card.  Installation refuses to recognize my
cd drive.  It works fine in DOS, Win95 and others.  Any suggestions.

HELP! Sony CDU33a CD-ROM

Post by roo » Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I am trying to install Linux Red Hat 4.2 using a Sony cd-rom that is
> connected to a sound blaster card.  Installation refuses to recognize my
> cd drive.  It works fine in DOS, Win95 and others.  Any suggestions.

I've never installed from Red Hat, but Slackware had boot disks for
the sony cdu33a cdrom and they worked fine for me.

Director of Development

HELP! Sony CDU33a CD-ROM

Post by Christopher Ort » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I am trying to install Linux Red Hat 4.2 using a Sony cd-rom that is
> connected to a sound blaster card.  Installation refuses to recognize my
> cd drive.  It works fine in DOS, Win95 and others.  Any suggestions.

For earlier versions of RedHat on my system (cdu31a+MAD16 sound card
interface) I had the most luck booting to DOS/Win95 and running the
linux launcher on the CD (sorry, I can't remember the name of the app).
That way the sound card interface of the cd is set up properly and you
only have to deal with sending the right cdu31a options when prompted.

BTW, I don't know if RedHat has fixed their documentation yet, but the
options you need to pass to the cdu31a driver are

cdu31a_port=0x??

and

cdu31a_irq=?

Hope this helps,
Chris

HELP! Sony CDU33a CD-ROM

Post by Tony Pettersso » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> [Posted and mailed]

> > I am trying to install Linux Red Hat 4.2 using a Sony cd-rom that is
> > connected to a sound blaster card.  Installation refuses to recognize my
> > cd drive.  It works fine in DOS, Win95 and others.  Any suggestions.

> I've never installed from Red Hat, but Slackware had boot disks for
> the sony cdu33a cdrom and they worked fine for me.

> Director of Development

I have the same problem as Randy with the Sony CDU33A, mine is conected
to a SoundBlaster card, and I'm intressted in getting info about getting
this to work.
I have boot disks for slackware but I want to install RedHat.
How would you use the slackware boot disks for installing RedHat?

HELP! Sony CDU33a CD-ROM

Post by WooJin N » Sun, 03 Aug 1997 04:00:00

: >
: > [Posted and mailed]
: >

: > ------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
When you install RedHat It requires some information about address & IRQ.
The message reads 'cdu31a=' but you have to edit the message to

 ***************************
  http://howto.interpia.net

 ***************************

1. Help needed mounting Sony CDU33a CD-ROM

After much trial and error, I have finally been able to succesfully
configure the installation of Redhat 4.2 by CD-ROM.  My CD is a Sony
CDU33a.

However, I am not able to mount the CD-ROM drive now that the
installation is complete.

The command:

#mount /mnt/cdrom

gives the following response:

mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
(maybe 'insmod driver'?)

The command

#mount /dev/cdrom

gives the following response:

mount: can't find /dev/cdu31a in etc/mtab or etc/fstab

The cdu31a driver appears to be present in the /dev directory, and
/dev/cdrom appears to be a symbolic link to /dev/cdu31a.

I have appended my lilo.conf to include the following:

append="cdu31a_port=0x340, cdu31a_irq=0"

Is there a simple change to my etc/fstab file which will correct this,
or do I need to re-install or recompile the kernel.

TIA

Fred Scholl

2. Solaris Installation.........

3. Help with PAS 16 and Sony CD-ROM CDU33A

4. SNA Server/6000 Problem

5. Linux still can't detec Sony cdu33a CD-Rom driver

6. Wanting to start with a Unix system.

7. Opti929s sound card & Sony CDU33A Cd-Rom

8. problem: Adaptec 1742 /Maxtor SCSI, EVEN more info...

9. Sony CDU33A CD-ROM install problem

10. WTB: Linux Cd-rom for my Sony CDU33a

11. recognizing the Sony CDU33A CD-ROM drive...

12. Problems detecting Sony CDU33A CD-ROM drive