SCSI RAID controllers supported by Linux, available ?

SCSI RAID controllers supported by Linux, available ?

Post by Wanne de Kl » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm looking for a SCSI-RAID controller which is supported by Linux (PCI). Is
there such a beast available ?

TIA,

Wanne de Kler

Post by Michael Neuff » Mon, 03 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: I'm looking for a SCSI-RAID controller which is supported by Linux (PCI). Is
: there such a beast available ?

Yes, check out the DPT SCSI controllers. They have a line of controllers that
do RAID if you plug in a dougtherboard and a line of 'native' RAID
controllers. All of them are supported by my EATA-DMA driver in the standard
kernel.

Check out DPTs Web pages http://www.dpt.com.

Hope this helps.

Mike

--
Michael Neuffer                   i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.

503.677.2900                      Beaverton, OR 97008

Post by Michael Neuffe » Tue, 04 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> Hi Mike, I am writing you because you wrote the DPT scsi drivers
> according to this message. In any event I am about to put together a
> workhorse of a system and would like to use the DPT scsi cards (i've used
> them in other systems but have been wary of doing so with Linux, thus
> this message).

> I plan on using a PCI based smartcache IV card with the caching and raid
> daughterboards installed (probably only 4 megs of cache). I'm leaning to
> the high performance models (I forget their numbers).

> Now to my question, just how well are these supported? This could end up
> a file server running for a mixed windows/unix network and I plan on
> using the RAID 5 (raid 1 at a minimum) set up. Is this supported
> seamlessly

Yes.

Quote:> or there some gotchas I need to plan for?

No, not on the hardware side.

The only thing that could get you in trouble is the SCSI midlevel code
of the Linux SCSI IO subsystem, which made the whole subsystem somewhat
instable for all drivers. It is not really suited to the high performance
of the DPTs and some other HBAs, but we are currently working very hard
on getting things better.

The current kernel are pretty stable again.

Quote:> Lastly, what
> drives/hardware/accessories/etc (if any) should I avoid putting in the
> system (or more accurately phrased, are there any hardware/drives/etc
> that I should not use with the DPT card and driver in the Linux system)?

Nothing I know of.

Quote:> Thanks in advance for your assistance.

You're welcome.

Mike

Michael Neuffer                   i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.

503.677.2900                      Beaverton, OR 97008

1. SCSI Controller / RAID support

Trying to get OpenBSD 3.2 (or possibly 3.3) running on Intel's new SE7501WV2
m/b (scsi version).  I realize it's a dual board and somewhat of a waste
(currently) regarding the second processor...but I refuse to "settle" for a
Win32 or Linux flavored box.

Running into issues detecting the onboard U320 SCSI controller (AIC-7902).
FreeBSD shows support via ahd(4) driver...but I'd rather stick with OpenBSD.
Anyone know (a) when this controller will be supported under OpenBSD or (b)
how to get it working...?

Also have a zero channel raid card, Adaptec 2010S, that I'd like to use if
at all possible.  Right now it shows up as an Adaptec 2005S (not configured)
when booting from release version of 3.2 or a snapshot version of 3.3.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2. X window freezed, HELP ***

3. List of supported scsi raid controllers

4. How does autocomplete work?

5. RAID support for Gateway-supplied RAID controller?

6. kernel -- promiscuous

7. Mounting a RAID-0 partition on an IDE-SCSI/RAID Promise Lite controller

8. toshiba lapt tops

9. SCSI->SCSI raid 5 controller?

10. IDE raid controllers supported by linux

11. Hardware RAID-controllers supported under Linux.

12. which Raid controller does linux support?

13. Which IDE RAID controllers supported by Linux v2.2?