Western Digital Caviar 1.2 GB - Which harddrive to buy?

Western Digital Caviar 1.2 GB - Which harddrive to buy?

Post by Dan Eldr » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I have been thinking about getting this drive for my soon to be LINUX box
>but I have heard that people have been having trouble with it.  Should I
>be staying away from it.  If so what drive do you recommned for the least
>hassles?

>Thanks for your responses,
>-Aamer

>P.S. E-mail is appreciated

I have 2 WD 1.08 GB drives--one a 310XX and the other a 210XX (I'm not
certain of the exact model numbers).  Both have 128k buffers.  Both are
very fast, if very slightly noisy, and I haven't had any problems whatever
with either (I've had the 31000 for a year and the 21000 for just a few
weeks).  These are EIDE drives, and I'm running the 31000 on the EIDE
interface and the  21000 on the IDE (secondary) interface of my Premiere II
motherboard (the CDROM is also on the EIDE interface).  I don't know if
this is relevent towards the 1.2 GB drive, but even if it isn't this info
ought to help someone.

From various documents I get the impression that you might have problems
if you use the DOS driver software provided by WD.  Possibly it doesn't
recognize Linux partitions if you have them on the same disk as DOS.
However, I believe that this software is required only if you have an
older computer that requires disk address translation; certainly I'm
not using the WD software and I run DOS and Linux off the same disk.

Post by Jim Sherwo » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>I have been thinking about getting this drive for my soon to be LINUX box
>>but I have heard that people have been having trouble with it.  Should I
>>be staying away from it.  If so what drive do you recommned for the least
>>hassles?

>>Thanks for your responses,
>>-Aamer

>>P.S. E-mail is appreciated

>I have 2 WD 1.08 GB drives--one a 310XX and the other a 210XX (I'm not
>certain of the exact model numbers).  Both have 128k buffers.  Both are
>very fast, if very slightly noisy, and I haven't had any problems whatever
>with either (I've had the 31000 for a year and the 21000 for just a few
>weeks).  These are EIDE drives, and I'm running the 31000 on the EIDE
>interface and the  21000 on the IDE (secondary) interface of my Premiere II
>motherboard (the CDROM is also on the EIDE interface).  I don't know if
>this is relevent towards the 1.2 GB drive, but even if it isn't this info
>ought to help someone.
>From various documents I get the impression that you might have problems
>if you use the DOS driver software provided by WD.  Possibly it doesn't
>recognize Linux partitions if you have them on the same disk as DOS.
>However, I believe that this software is required only if you have an
>older computer that requires disk address translation; certainly I'm
>not using the WD software and I run DOS and Linux off the same disk.

I have two systems running LINUX with the WD 1.2GB HD.  Works fine for
me.

Jim

   for HELP reading this message: press Ctrl-Alt-Del

Western Digital Caviar 1.2 GB - Which harddrive to buy?

Post by Nikolay G. Shulg » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>>From various documents I get the impression that you might have problems
>>if you use the DOS driver software provided by WD.  Possibly it doesn't
>>recognize Linux partitions if you have them on the same disk as DOS.
>>However, I believe that this software is required only if you have an
>>older computer that requires disk address translation; certainly I'm
>>not using the WD software and I run DOS and Linux off the same disk.

I had that problem - older BIOS (AMI '92) that does not recognize hd > 528M . The driver
provided by WD did create problems in Linux; however WD manual suggests a workaround -
basically, you let Linux (which doesn't care about hd size) have the after-528 part. I have
subsequently upgraded my HD controller to Promise 2300 which patches BIOS and it looks like
it took care of the problem.

NS

Post by Sean A. Lo » Mon, 04 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: I have been thinking about getting this drive for my soon to be LINUX box
: but I have heard that people have been having trouble with it.  Should I
: be staying away from it.  If so what drive do you recommned for the least
: hassles?

Pay the extra for the 1.6G, newer technology, better EIDE,
faster disk RPM.  I got the 1.2, and although it is fast and
trouble free, I have some regrets for not getting the 1.6G.

Sean Long

--

Post by Bob Ingerso » Thu, 07 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>>>From various documents I get the impression that you might have problems
>>>if you use the DOS driver software provided by WD.  Possibly it doesn't
>>>recognize Linux partitions if you have them on the same disk as DOS.
>>>However, I believe that this software is required only if you have an
>>>older computer that requires disk address translation; certainly I'm
>>>not using the WD software and I run DOS and Linux off the same disk.
>I had that problem - older BIOS (AMI '92) that does not recognize hd > 528M . The driver
>provided by WD did create problems in Linux; however WD manual suggests a workaround -
>basically, you let Linux (which doesn't care about hd size) have the after-528 part. I have
>subsequently upgraded my HD controller to Promise 2300 which patches BIOS and it looks like
>it took care of the problem.
>NS

I was very interested in your comments re the Promise 2300 as I was
thinking seriously about buying one for my circa '93 AMI Super Voyager
VLB motherboard. However, I want to use this system for both Windows
95 and LINUX and I was unsure about support in LINUX for this EIDE
controller.

I noticed in the Promise EIDE 2300+ data sheet that there is no
mention of LINUX among the supported OSs. Promise does supply drivers
for WIN95 and other systems although I am unsure what the purpose of
these drivers is. Is software support for the 2300 required in LINUX?

Are there any special requirements or considerations using the 2300+
in LINUX? Are you using a WD driver for LINUX? I'm thinking of using a
Seagate EIDE drive.

Any information is appreciated.

Western Digital Caviar 1.2 GB - Which harddrive to buy?

Post by Rick Bressl » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I noticed in the Promise EIDE 2300+ data sheet that there is no
>mention of LINUX among the supported OSs. Promise does supply drivers
>for WIN95 and other systems although I am unsure what the purpose of
>these drivers is. Is software support for the 2300 required in LINUX?

The EIDE drivers that come with Linux do just fine.  I'm running
1.2.13 and have no trouble with my CD-ROM or my Caviar drive, although
the Caviar doesn't appear to like living on the same channel as my
old Seagate ST1144A.  The Seagate appears to coexist OK with the CD-ROM
on the second channel on the Promise card.

After a bit of tweaking I'm getting 3MB/sec as reported by hdparm,
and am seeing ~1MB/second in real world situations. (Compiles/paging
and so on with lots of seeks mixed in.) I consider this pretty good.

Quote:>Are there any special requirements or considerations using the 2300+
>in LINUX? Are you using a WD driver for LINUX? I'm thinking of using a
>Seagate EIDE drive.

Like I said, you have to watch what else you put on the same channel
with the Caviar. This does not appear to be due to the controller though, as
I've had this problem with several other controllers.  I've head other reports
that lead me to believe it isn't strictly a function of mixing an old drive
with a new one either.

Let me put in a plug for Promise.  While they don't 'support Linux' (they
don't have to, as I said it is built in) they do provide drivers for
several other popular *X systems.

When my computer was delivered, the dealer had installed an incorrect
cable for the second serial port. (The card also provides a joystick,
parallel and two high speed, 16550A  compatible serial ports)  While
most of these cables look the same, they are generally not.  I believe
that the dealer confused them with those from another board during
installation.  At any rate, after verifying that it was the cable I was
unable to get my (former) dealer to fix the problem.  I sent email to
the support address at promise asking for a part number and price to
order the correct part.  I didn't get that information, but I DID get
a cable in the mail three days later!  At the time I had made it clear
that it wasn't the fault of Promise, but they gave me a free cable anyway,
and promptly!  I consider this to be very good customer support.

I'm running Promise/Caviar in two machines.    One gets turned on and off
quite a bit, the other has been up for 6 months. Except for the above, I
have never had a problem with either.

--

The first four or five people on that Long Island commuter train were shot
because a maniac had a gun.  The rest were shot because nobody *ELSE* had

The first four or five people on that Long Island commuter train were shot
because a maniac had a gun.  The rest were shot because nobody *ELSE* had
a gun.                                               My opinions, all MINE.

1. Western Digital Caviar 1.2 GB - Which harddrive to buy?

I have been using this drive for about 6 months with Slackware 2.3 and a

: I have been thinking about getting this drive for my soon to be LINUX box
: but I have heard that people have been having trouble with it.  Should I
: be staying away from it.  If so what drive do you recommned for the least
: hassles?
:
:
: Thanks for your responses,
: -Aamer
:
: P.S. E-mail is appreciated
:

2. no-login virtual users

3. WD Caviar 1.2 GB drives

4. Compiling XFree-3.1.1 problem

5. Via VT8233C + Western Digital Caviar = corruption hell?

6. identd: NO-USER; What does it mean?

7. Western Digital 1.2 Gig HD

8. setenv in Linux?

9. Linux on a 1.2 Western Digital

10. Western Digital 1.2 GIG w/ LINUX. HELP!

11. Western Digital Caviar HD and 2048 Cylinders in Linux

12. Western Digital Caviar HD and 2484 Cylinders in Linux

13. Western Digital Caviar 1 gig & Busmouse problems :) (sorry)