1. Linux Doesn't Like My 486DX2/66 -- HELP!
Okay, I don't want to bore you with too many details (yet). I have been
running Linux 1.0.9 on a 486SX/25 for weeks without trouble. I decided to
upgrade to a 486DX2/66 with 16M ram. I kept the same hard disk, so it is
EXACTLY the same Linux configuration.
Now, to test the new processor, I decided to recompile the Linux kernel. I
have done this several times, so I know that it works on the 486SX. The
compile always fails on a different file, but the reason is always due to
Linux getting invalid data from my hard disk. The error messages say,
"Invalid Character", "Unable To Parse", "Unexpected error". Other programs
such as gzip occassionally give messages such as "stdin closed unexpectedly"
when using redirection. None of these errors are duplicatable. They just
happen occassionally. I get the "gut feeling" that the data coming from my
drive is corrupted periodically.
I have repartitioned, reformatted, reinstalled, reconfigured, and tested for
days. I have replaced my ide card, reseated all cards and memory, removed all
unecessary cards, and disabled anything I can think of in my ROM settings that
could affect things.
If I boot Windows-4-WorkGroups, DOS, or Windows NT, I cannot recreate any
problems. I have run pattern tests on the drive with NT and DOS tools.
In summary, I have tried just about everything. Has anyone else had similiar
problems, or any suggestions? I am hoping that atleast some of you have
noticed any incompatiblities with Linux and hardware, or any configuration
My current system configuration is:
Generic 486DX2/66 Motherboard With 256k Cache
Generic Localbus SVGA S3 805 Chipset
MAXTOR 550M IDE Drive (Dos, Windows, NT)
CONNER 340M IDE Drive (Linux 320, swap 20)
( THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WERE REMOVED WITHOUT AFFECTING THE RESULTS )
Generic ethernet card
Zoom fax/modem (internal)
Mitsumi 2x CDROM With Card
Conner Internal Tape 250M Tape Drive
Logitech Sound Card (Doesn't Work Under Linux)
Thanks a lot for reading this, and thanks even more to those with some
____________________ Jerry Hobby - Houston
____________________ Compuserve 72142,1100
2. No MS breakup isn't relevant to Linux
3. cyrix 486dx2/66
4. Best way to admin a FTP server ?
5. Linux on 486DX2/66 card in a PowerMAC?
6. iptables giving headaches - multiple interfaces / logging?
7. SUMMARY: 486DX2/66 for Unix conclusions (fairly long)
8. displaying background picture
9. OPTI 486dx2-66, cirrus 5428, shamrock hh.28 experiences?
10. [ INFOMAGIC, CDU33A, PAS-16, GATEWAY 486DX2/66 ]
11. Installing on GW2K 486DX2-66
12. Which is better for Linux: 486DX2/66 or 486DX/50
13. SVGA card for my 486DX2-66