486DX2/66 -- 14.46 BogoMips??

Post by Robert Kn » Mon, 29 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I'm running Linux 1.2.13 on a Canon Innova Book 150C laptop computer which
has 20 meg of RAM and a 486DX2/66 (with SL enhancements, or so it says at
boot time).

The BogoMips rating I get from /proc/cpuinfo is 14.46, which I've recently
learned (while installing Linux on a friend's 486/33, who had 16.something
BogoMips) is about 1/2 of what I ought to expect for a 486/66.  Now, I know
BogoMips is bogus, but from what I've read I don't believe it should be low
by a factor of two.

Should I worry about this?  Is there anything I can do about it?  Does
anybody have any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Thanks,

-Rob

     Co-maintainer of the Dramatic Exchange (http://www.dramex.org/).

486DX2/66 -- 14.46 BogoMips??

Post by Paul Uiterlinde » Thu, 02 May 1996 04:00:00

> I'm running Linux 1.2.13 on a Canon Innova Book 150C laptop computer which
> has 20 meg of RAM and a 486DX2/66 (with SL enhancements, or so it says at
> boot time).

> The BogoMips rating I get from /proc/cpuinfo is 14.46, which I've recently
> learned (while installing Linux on a friend's 486/33, who had 16.something
> BogoMips) is about 1/2 of what I ought to expect for a 486/66.  Now, I know
> BogoMips is bogus, but from what I've read I don't believe it should be low
> by a factor of two.

> Should I worry about this?  Is there anything I can do about it?  Does
> anybody have any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

> Thanks,

> -Rob
> --

>      Co-maintainer of the Dramatic Exchange (http://www.dramex.org/).

I am running Linux 1.2.11 on a 486DX2/66 (not a note book), 24 Mbyte RAM,
and on start-up, my BogoMips are reported to be 33.55.

Paul.

486DX2/66 -- 14.46 BogoMips??

Post by Brian Timothy HERLI » Fri, 03 May 1996 04:00:00

>> I'm running Linux 1.2.13 on a Canon Innova Book 150C laptop computer which
>> has 20 meg of RAM and a 486DX2/66 (with SL enhancements, or so it says at
>> boot time).

>> The BogoMips rating I get from /proc/cpuinfo is 14.46, which I've recently
>> learned (while installing Linux on a friend's 486/33, who had 16.something
>> BogoMips) is about 1/2 of what I ought to expect for a 486/66.  Now, I know
>> BogoMips is bogus, but from what I've read I don't believe it should be low
>> by a factor of two.

>> Should I worry about this?  Is there anything I can do about it?  Does
>> anybody have any suggestions as to what might be wrong?
>I am running Linux 1.2.11 on a 486DX2/66 (not a note book), 24 Mbyte RAM,
>and on start-up, my BogoMips are reported to be 33.55.
>Paul.

Isn't there something in the linux FAQ about low BogoMips at startup?  It had
a suggestion in there of what to do about it.

Brian

486DX2/66 -- 14.46 BogoMips??

Post by Robert Kn » Fri, 03 May 1996 04:00:00

>>> The BogoMips rating I get from /proc/cpuinfo is 14.46, which I've recently
>>> learned (while installing Linux on a friend's 486/33, who had 16.something
>>> BogoMips) is about 1/2 of what I ought to expect for a 486/66.  Now, I know
>>> BogoMips is bogus, but from what I've read I don't believe it should be low
>>> by a factor of two.
>Isn't there something in the linux FAQ about low BogoMips at startup?  It had
>a suggestion in there of what to do about it.

The mini-HOWTO suggests that a misconfigured cache can be the source of the
problem; however, the only cache configuration I have in the BIOS is
enabled/disabled; I have it enabled.

The other suggestion is the turbo button not being on; however, the laptop
has no turbo button.

Post by mumfo » Fri, 03 May 1996 04:00:00

>>Isn't there something in the linux FAQ about low BogoMips at startup?  It had
>>a suggestion in there of what to do about it.

>The mini-HOWTO suggests that a misconfigured cache can be the source of the
>problem; however, the only cache configuration I have in the BIOS is
>enabled/disabled; I have it enabled.

>The other suggestion is the turbo button not being on; however, the laptop
>has no turbo button.

Laptop?  check your laptop's manual, maybe there's a function key setting
corresponding to the turbo button.. there may also be something in setup.

--

Why did the mathematician name his dog Cauchy?
Because he left residue at every pole.

486DX2/66 -- 14.46 BogoMips??

Post by Robert Kn » Fri, 03 May 1996 04:00:00

>>The other suggestion is the turbo button not being on; however, the laptop
>>has no turbo button.

>Laptop?  check your laptop's manual, maybe there's a function key setting
>corresponding to the turbo button.. there may also be something in setup.

I've done both, and found nothing.

-Rob

     Co-maintainer of the Dramatic Exchange (http://www.dramex.org/).

1. Linux Doesn't Like My 486DX2/66 -- HELP!

Okay, I don't want to bore you with too many details (yet).  I have been
running Linux 1.0.9 on a 486SX/25 for weeks without trouble.  I decided to
upgrade to a 486DX2/66 with 16M ram.  I kept the same hard disk, so it is
EXACTLY the same Linux configuration.

Now, to test the new processor, I decided to recompile the Linux kernel.  I
have done this several times, so I know that it works on the 486SX.  The
compile always fails on a different file, but the reason is always due to
Linux getting invalid data from my hard disk.  The error messages say,
"Invalid Character", "Unable To Parse", "Unexpected error".  Other programs
such as gzip occassionally give messages such as "stdin closed unexpectedly"
when using redirection.  None of these errors are duplicatable.  They just
happen occassionally.  I get the "gut feeling" that the data coming from my
drive is corrupted periodically.

I have repartitioned, reformatted, reinstalled, reconfigured, and tested for
days.  I have replaced my ide card, reseated all cards and memory, removed all
unecessary cards, and disabled anything I can think of in my ROM settings that
could affect things.

If I boot Windows-4-WorkGroups, DOS, or Windows NT, I cannot recreate any
problems.   I have run pattern tests on the drive with NT and DOS tools.

In summary, I have tried just about everything.  Has anyone else had similiar
problems, or any suggestions?  I am hoping that atleast some of you have
noticed any incompatiblities with Linux and hardware, or any configuration
"gotchas".

My current system configuration is:

        Generic 486DX2/66 Motherboard With 256k Cache
        16M Ram
        Generic Localbus SVGA S3 805 Chipset

        MAXTOR 550M IDE Drive   (Dos, Windows, NT)
        CONNER 340M IDE Drive   (Linux 320, swap 20)

        Serial Mouse

        ( THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WERE REMOVED WITHOUT AFFECTING THE RESULTS )

        Generic ethernet card
        Zoom fax/modem (internal)
        Mitsumi 2x CDROM With Card
        Conner Internal Tape 250M Tape Drive
        Logitech Sound Card (Doesn't Work Under Linux)

Thanks a lot for reading this, and thanks even more to those with some
suggestions.  Jerry
    ____________________                    Jerry Hobby - Houston

                    ____________________    Compuserve 72142,1100

2. No MS breakup isn't relevant to Linux

3. cyrix 486dx2/66

4. Best way to admin a FTP server ?

5. Linux on 486DX2/66 card in a PowerMAC?

6. iptables giving headaches - multiple interfaces / logging?

7. SUMMARY: 486DX2/66 for Unix conclusions (fairly long)

8. displaying background picture

9. OPTI 486dx2-66, cirrus 5428, shamrock hh.28 experiences?

10. [ INFOMAGIC, CDU33A, PAS-16, GATEWAY 486DX2/66 ]

11. Installing on GW2K 486DX2-66

12. Which is better for Linux: 486DX2/66 or 486DX/50

13. SVGA card for my 486DX2-66