Any winprinter driver for Xerox DocuPrint P8 ?

Any winprinter driver for Xerox DocuPrint P8 ?

Post by B Thoma » Tue, 21 Jun 2005 13:50:42

Hi,

I recently was donated a Xerox DocuPrint P8 by a friend.
www.linuxprinting.org classifies this as "paperweight".
I am hoping against hope that someone has a recent hack
to get this working on linux. I would be greatfull if you
could post the wisdom you have gleaned from your
tribulations ;-).

I am aware this is a winprinter but there are drivers
for other winprinters such as lexmark 7000 series. What
I do not understand is if all use the same windows
GDI printing services api why the linux dirvers are not
interchangeable.

regards
b thomas

Post by Alain.Bo.. » Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:59:09

> I am aware this is a winprinter but there are drivers
> for other winprinters such as lexmark 7000 series. What
> I do not understand is if all use the same windows
> GDI printing services api why the linux dirvers are not
> interchangeable.

Because an API is just that: an application programming INTERFACE.
Just because a programmer is allowed to send some parameters through
abstract function names doesn't mean anything regarding how the
driver interacts with the hardware. Now this would be the info
needed to develop a Linux (or more probably ghostsscript, or CUPS)
driver for one of these things.

--
Alain Borel

1. Xerox DocuPrint P8

    Hi, hope someone can help with configuring a "Xerox DocuPrint P8" to
work with 7.0 which was a 6.1 upgrade.  I'll first submit relevant info
and then submit what problem I'm encountering.

1. The OS was an upgrade form 6.1 to 7.0.
2. I added "alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc" to "/etc/modules.conf"
3. In Gnome's Printer Tool I configured the input filter with both "text
only" and "postscript printers" to no avail.
4. I restarted "lpd" each time I changed the configuration in Printer
Tool.
5. "/var/log/messages" shows "localhost kernel: parport0: Unspecified,
Xerox Docuprint  P8"
6. I finally selected the "text only" input filter as there is no entry
for the P8.

The problem is that when I try to print a test page in Printer Tool, I
get a dialog box saying the test page is being printed, but nothing
happens.  All physical connections are ok, I using this printer
successfully in WinMe.  I get no mail upon boot indicating any printer
problem or the inability to print.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
john

2. Sunblade 100 and sunpci IIpro ram interchangable?

3. Docuprint P8(xerox) Any support ??

4. bsd_comp.o needed for 2.4.18-27.7.x kernel

5. Xerox Docuprint P8

6. Try to install SuSE 7.3 on old ICS box -- Crash !

7. Xerox DocuPrint P8

8. Oh yeah, I also ran Xconfigurator

9. More on Xerox Docuprint P8

10. xerox docuprint p8 on linux

11. Help: Xerox DocuPrint P8

12. Xerox Docuprint P-12 : Which driver to use?

13. xerox docuprint - /dev/lp0 - no such device