How to recover a damaged ext3 partition?

How to recover a damaged ext3 partition?

Post by anonymous pengui » Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:08:21

One of my file server disks just failed; which tool could
I use to recover the data stored into it?
The data is valuable to me, but I cannot spend the thousand
Euros a data recovery company would ask for that service, so I'd
go for a different solution.

The disk is a single ext3 partitioned 60GB IBM Deskstar, model
IC35L060AVER07-0 connected to a Promise Ultra 100 ATA
controller; system is a RedHat 9a.

Here's a fsck output.

# fsck /dev/hdg1
fsck 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
e2fsck 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
/mnt/hd3: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while reading block 3899394

/mnt/hd3: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read reading journal superblock

fsck.ext3: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while checking ext3 journal for /mnt/hd3

Any help will be greatly appreciated; thanks in advance.

1. How to recover data from a damaged NTFS partition?

Hi all,

I'm one of the unlucky owners of IBM hard drives (DTLA and
IC35). A fourty-gig died on me (the infamous "click click
click buy-a-western-digital click click click" sound) just
when I was booting the PC to backup it (talk about "luck").

I have important data there, which I could though restore
from elsewhere, but it would be extremely painful to do so.
So I'm not going to send the HD to a repair center (how much
would it cost, by the way?), but I'm trying to do it myself.

In the first 0 .. 71045 sectors range there are good sectors
and bad sectors. The following seem to be good. Since no
utility was able to copy my HD, I wrote a little proggy
that does sector-by-sector copy and doesn't stupidly quit
reporting an error when it finds a bad sector, but it simply
tries to put the pieces of it together, till it gets a
good (or wannabe good) sector.

In substance, I should have in 1-2 nights, in another HD,
the clone (as much as possible, that is) of my damaged HD.

I'm writing to ask you: will I be able to restore my files?
Considering that the damage is done in the first ~71000
sectors, can I expect to find a copy of the "FAT" above
that range? There was (is?) only one partition, and the
filesystem is NTFS.. I was forgetting to say. :)

To make a long story short:
what are the best utilities to recover as many files as
possible from a NTFS partition damaged (more or less in
the first ~71000 sectors)? I know Tiramisu, but it's only
for FAT, as far as I remember.

Thanks a lot for any hint/advice.. and take this one from
me as if it was law: NEVER EVER buy an IBM/Hitachi hard
drive, if you have the least of respect for your person.

Greets,
Arnold

2. How to restrict hosts for certain users?

3. Recovering data from a damaged ext2 partition?

4. RH 6.0 X problems

5. how to recover from a damaged system disk?

6. Debian Founder Launches Commercial Company.

7. Toshiba Satellite problem

8. Recovering data off a damaged? Solaris drive...

9. Recover data from a damaged vg

10. Help recovering damaged LILO

11. How to recover damaged tar file

12. Can't recover a damaged disk (SuSE 6.1)