100Mbit network cards problems

Post by Frank Gock » Sun, 21 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I've got a bunch of PCI network cards which are said to be 100Mbit capable,
but currently none of them is working under Linux (2.0.32). :(

Maybe I chose the wrong driver or did something else wrong. These cards
do work under Dos/W**0.95 so the hardware seems to be okay.

1. No name product, biggest chip is a "DEC 21140-AC" labelled with the year
   1995, and another chip "EK9618HHC4". This card is recognized by the
   DEC Tulip driver (i.e. correct hardware ethernet address is displayed).
   The card LEDs indicate correct link, but no packet goes through the net.

2. A Compex card named "ReadyLink 100". The biggest chip is labelled
   "Compex TX9881" others "MX98704QC" and "MX98702QC". I can't find a date
   on the chips, but the board has the label 1997 somewhere. This card is
   not recognized at all by any driver. Rumors tell that the HP100 driver
   is capable of running Compex cards, but apparently not this one...

3. A real monster with 4 TP ports, labelled "EM440TX 10/100 Fast Ethernet"
   sold by Adaptec (at least the manual and the box read this name) but
   carrying a Cogent label on the board. It has 4 DEC 21140-AC chips from
   1995 and the whole card seems to be 4 times the same things. It has also
   *one* DEC 21050 chip. The card is recognized by the DEC Tulip driver
   (yes, all 4 ports) and the four hardware ethernet addresses are displayed
   correctly (with a lot of warnings like "no EEPROM, this device might not
   work" - hmm...) But again, no packet wants to go through. Yes, the LEDs
   show correct 100Mbit link, and the ACT LED even flickers irregularly...

Hmm, which driver do I need for these cards? Are there other things to
configure? Do I need special configuration software for these cards? Do I
have to configure them in a special way under Dos/W**0.95 so they work under
Linux? (Hmm, what else can be wrong...?)

For the DEC chipsets I think it has something to do with the "AC" in
"21140-AC" since I have also an older Cogent EM100 card with a plain "21140"
on it - this one works out of the box. Is this true?

Just another question... is someone maintaining a complete database
of 100Mbit cards working under Linux?

And a last one... what speed can I expect from 100Mbit? My own tests
(ftping the kernel soures) show 3.2MB/sec (from memory to memory, no
disk access during this time) using a crosslink cable between two Linux
2.0.32 boxes. My NE2000 clones - which are only 10Mbit, ISA bus, and cost
almost nothing - reach 1.1MB/sec with a crosslink cable and also with
a coax cable. Have I misunderstood something? I thought 100Mbit ten times
faster than 10Mbit... ?

Thanks.

Post by Frank Sweetse » Sun, 21 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I've got a bunch of PCI network cards which are said to be 100Mbit capable,
> but currently none of them is working under Linux (2.0.32). :(

> Maybe I chose the wrong driver or did something else wrong. These cards
> do work under Dos/W**0.95 so the hardware seems to be okay.

From what I can see here, it looks okay... check out the latest drivers for
this stuff at htp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/, and the tulip
chipset related mailing list (should be a link to it at that site, run by
Donald Becker, aka God of the NIC Drivers :*)

Quote:> Just another question... is someone maintaining a complete database
> of 100Mbit cards working under Linux?

IIRC, there's a link to it on the above-mentioned case.  Plus, 98% of all
of the NIC drivers originated at some point in there history from Donald
Becker, or were taken from his code.

Quote:> And a last one... what speed can I expect from 100Mbit? My own tests
> (ftping the kernel soures) show 3.2MB/sec (from memory to memory, no
> disk access during this time) using a crosslink cable between two Linux
> 2.0.32 boxes. My NE2000 clones - which are only 10Mbit, ISA bus, and cost
> almost nothing - reach 1.1MB/sec with a crosslink cable and also with
> a coax cable. Have I misunderstood something? I thought 100Mbit ten times
> faster than 10Mbit... ?

That's the problem with ethernet...  it doesn't seem to scale all that
well.  best I've measured is 3.5Mbytes, though that was across a
network.... haven't done any back-to-back tests yet, though I will
soon... :)   Plus, there's all of the other systems in the computers that
haven't gone 10X as large that could be holding things up...

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat 5.0  Linux 2.0.33    i586   | at public servers
"...very few phenomena can pull someone out of Deep Hack Mode, with two
noted exceptions: being struck by lightning, or worse, your *computer*
being struck by lightning."
(By Matt Welsh)

1. 100MBit Network card & dmfe driver

I use  SuSE LinuX 6.4 with Kernel 2.2.14
yesturday I get a new Network-card.
On the driver disk I fond an linux driver (dmfe.c) version 1.27 from
1997.
I compiled it as an module, put this in /et/modules.conf behind eth0
and start init 1 init 2, but I get an error Message.
SIOCSIFFLAGS Resorce temporary unavaiable
I get the same message if I use the driver version 1.28 from 01/18/200,
included in the soucesn of the SuSDE Kernel.
What ist wrong?

please help me.

Christan

2. CompHardware.com Linux Hardware Database

3. How to force a network card to be 100Mbits/s, full-duplex?

4. TBS Montego 1 soundcard

5. x86: dnet (DFE-500TX) network card with 100MBit?

6. adaptec 2100s scsi raid

7. Kernel 2.4 driver for 3MVF 100MBit optical networking card ?

8. Kernel rebuilding: make cannot find rules for config, dep, clean, zlilo, zImage, etc.

9. activating 100mbit network cards in linux

10. Network card 100Mbits

11. Does > 100Mbits/s Network Card exist?

12. 100MBit network cards

13. SMB: only 120kByte/s within 100Mbit network