Help! Unable to logout

Post by Joe Blogg » Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:04:25

Hello,

    Users are getting seriously frustrated.. Trying to log out of KDE
over X nothing happens.. the session stays and you  have to reset exceed
to get rid of kde! Then, when you try and restart the kde session it
only half works with error messages such as kde is still running etc...
All user processes then have to be manually killed off.

a) Does anyone know how to logout and terminate these out more
sucessfully than using the logout icon in KDE

b) Failing that - does anyone know of a bin that will kill all a
specific users processes or do I have to create an awked script to do it
on login?

TIA,

JB?

Help! Unable to logout

Post by Georges Giral » Sat, 27 Oct 2001 00:08:09

> Hello,

>     Users are getting seriously frustrated.. Trying to log out of KDE
> over X nothing happens.. the session stays and you  have to reset exceed

^^^^^^^
Hello !
This is not "real" X11. But an emulation over Windows. Do you experience
the same problem usin an X terminal ?
If yes, it is a KDE problem/bug. If not.....
You may try to kill the window manager. As it is responsible to the task
creation, it will be good... But bear in mind that all open file will be
"damaged" if the application the user uses is still open.
Ask one of your user to close all files/applications before trying to
log out. And see what happens....
As far as I know, Exceed uses a non standard method to open a session,
so you may have to close the session at both ends, ie, signal kde, and
exceed that you want to log out. (I was unable to make this run fine
with a KDE 1.0 so we sticked to HP's X temrinals and everything runned
fine....
Quote:> TIA,

> JB?

1. Help! Unable to logout

Hello,

    Users are getting seriously frustrated.. Trying to log out of KDE
over X nothing happens.. the session stays and you  have to reset exceed
to get rid of kde! Then, when you try and restart the kde session it
only half works with error messages such as kde is still running etc...
All user processes then have to be manually killed off.

a) Does anyone know how to logout and terminate these out more
sucessfully than using the logout icon in KDE

b) Failing that - does anyone know of a bin that will kill all a
specific users processes or do I have to create an awked script to do it
on login?

TIA,

JB?

2. glint and other installation problems

3. Anybody knows STRATOS computers or OS ?

4. Help! .logout not executed on logout!

5. xdm

6. Logout = unable to start X again ???

7. RH Linux-aliases-sendmail-PUZZLE!

8. su unable to logout

9. logout without executing .logout

10. Help: Help: Unable to run xterm and netscape

11. HELP: Unable to read /dev/hda:HELP

12. Help, Help! Unable to compile X program