I need recommendations for a quick CDROM that produces the most heat

I need recommendations for a quick CDROM that produces the most heat

Post by Anton Grap » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 04:37:40

I need a CDROM to check the adhesion of CD labels to the freshly burned
CD-Rs. So I want the one that is most likely to cause the labels to peel
and gum up the drive. Also I think that the heat might help to bake the
label onto CD-R.

I guess that means that I want the cdrom drive that is the hottest and
spins pretty fast? Preferably the one that spins down and back up for no
apparent reason like Mitsumi.

Recommendations?

My supervisor does not want to consider buying a CD printer just yet as
we have a fairly small volume (<100 CDs/year)

Thank you.

I need recommendations for a quick CDROM that produces the most heat

Post by Tobias Krau » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 08:13:43

Hi Anton,
I don't know if you really _*need*_ to label your CD-Rs. It's not advisable
to use labels as you can't center them onto the CD (even with an
appropriate tool!) which will move the centre of gravity out of the middle
of the hole for the CD drive axis (for a car tyre the maximum allowed
excentricity is about 0.1mm (0.004")! ). The resulting radial forces will
damage the bearings of the drive. Besides, the vibrations will decrease
data throughput (and in the ___worst____ case the CD-R will break and the
pieces might be thrusted out of the drive - through the closed tray. I
think this will only happen with low quality CDs).

Bye,
Tobias

Post by Anton Grap » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 09:24:58

>>(and in the ___worst____ case the CD-R will break and the
>>pieces might be thrusted out of the drive - through the closed tray. I
>>think this will only happen with low quality CDs).

> This can very well happen with brand name CD-Rs. Quality control in
> mass production is never perfect and even a perfect CD might have been
> damaged by accident or abuse.

> At 10krpm the slightest damage at the centre hole will sooner or later
> cause a fissure. It's pure luck if that fissure extends into the data
> area (giving you read errors as a warning) before the CD breaks into
> shards.

Are you saying that 50X cdroms are spinning at 10k? :-O

1. I have a Quick Question, need quick answer.

I was looking at a computer.
It uses AMI Bios.
How compatible is AMI Bios with Linux?

Later...
 Dave.

David Falk          |"People always make the mistake of dismissing as untrue

                    | their minds cannot readily grasp..." -- Lucius Apuleius

2. Userdata in a Linux network?

3. Need recommendation for CDROM drive

4. Getting dhclient?

5. Need to produce a list of files that need to be made.

6. "Smart" apostrophes kill xterm window

7. Recommendation for Quick Fix of RH9 menu edit snafu

8. Ethernet card receiving influenced by CPU speed?

9. Quick kernel vnum recommendation

10. Heat problems? Solution needed.

11. need excellent heat sink for overclocking

12. mount cdrom produces funny messages on 2.2.0pre kernels

13. Need help producing a xserver reset