Netgear PS104 print server and Linux

Post by Matt Mendelo » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 04:48:34

Greetings -

Has anyone had any success configuring a Netgear PS104 print server to
work with Suse (or any other distro, for that matter)? I've tried to
adapt the BSD directions it came with but am unable to print. Sometimes
the printer wakes up and acts like its going to print but never does.
Other times it never even wakes up. The printer works fine when it's
connected via parallel port directly to the box. I am using the LPRNG
spooler. I am pretty new to linux having just deleted my Windows
partitions cold turkey so would appreciate any guidance.

Regards -

Matt

Post by Peter Teube » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:14:07

> Greetings -

> Has anyone had any success configuring a Netgear PS104 print server to
> work with Suse (or any other distro, for that matter)? I've tried to
> adapt the BSD directions it came with but am unable to print. Sometimes
> the printer wakes up and acts like its going to print but never does.
> Other times it never even wakes up. The printer works fine when it's
> connected via parallel port directly to the box. I am using the LPRNG
> spooler. I am pretty new to linux having just deleted my Windows
> partitions cold turkey so would appreciate any guidance.

> Regards -

> Matt

FWIW, i have the PS110, and also has quite some problems getting started
with it. The basic first thing that was not documented is what the
printer
ports (the PS110 has two printer ports)  were called. They are P1 and
P2.
But even then, I could not get it to work until i let teh windows
program
do the work. My explanation was that the windows software will write
into
the firmware of the PS110 (e.g. the IP of the PS110 in my case, and what
device was connected to the P1 and P2).  The nightmare became more
bizarre
when I decided to use P2 with actually an identical printer. Nothing
worked
anymore. Even windows updates to the P110 didn't.... I had to remove all
the software fromthe windows box and start all over and reinitialize the
PS110 from scratch. It's been workikng fine since. Once every blue moon
i have to power down/up the PS110 since it seems stuck.

Sorry, i hope the PS104 is close enough to the PS110 that my comments
make
some sense. Again, the PS110 has 1 ethernet port and 2 parallel printer
ports.

The relevant portion from my /etc/printcap file looks something like
this:
ps2:\
        :rm=ps:\
        :rp=P2:\

ps1:\
        :rm=ps:\
        :rp=P1:\

where the IP of 'ps' is defined in /etc/hosts :

192.168.1.101   ps

- peter

Netgear PS104 print server and Linux

Post by Dennis Henrikse » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 18:27:32

Perhaps you should investigate how the PS104 is configured. As I have
understood the PS104 and the PS110 are basically the same except for the
number of parallel ports.

The PS110 allows for three different methods of printing, LPD protocol,
FTP and direct socket interface (DSI).

It seems you have already test one of the three methods (LPD), I would
suggest that you try the following:

A) Download the configuration for inspection. ftp to the PS104 and 'get
config'.
B) Try FTP'ing a text file to the PS104.
C) Test the DSI (Unfortunately I do not have the port no at hand, but it
should be in your manual somewhere).

Hope any of this helps
Dennis

> Greetings -

> Has anyone had any success configuring a Netgear PS104 print server to
> work with Suse (or any other distro, for that matter)? I've tried to
> adapt the BSD directions it came with but am unable to print. Sometimes
> the printer wakes up and acts like its going to print but never does.
> Other times it never even wakes up. The printer works fine when it's
> connected via parallel port directly to the box. I am using the LPRNG
> spooler. I am pretty new to linux having just deleted my Windows
> partitions cold turkey so would appreciate any guidance.

> Regards -

> Matt

Netgear PS104 print server and Linux

Post by Dennis Henrikse » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 21:19:40

The names of the ports is actually configurable. The PS110 has two
physical ports, which by default are called P1 and P2. On top of that
does it have 8 logical ports. Their default names are L1, L2, .. L8.
Each logical port is assigned to a physical port. The default is odd
numbers to P1 and even numbers to P2.

Mr. Teuben - Which version of the firmware are you using ? (That info is
available in the PSINF file, which can be downloaded from the PS110
through FTP.)

Sometime back I found a problem report for the PS110, which stated that
using the secondary (P2) parallel port, could cause lock-ups of the
unit. I managaed to upgrade mine to 6017, but that operation requires a
Wintendo system. (It doesn't work with Wine).

I am not sure that I can recommend this upgrade, as it seems that the
configration method (uploading an altered CONFIG file), has changed. At
least I have been unable to disable the NetBIOS and IPX protocols ...

/Dennis

Post by Peter Teube » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:33:04

> The names of the ports is actually configurable. The PS110 has two
> physical ports, which by default are called P1 and P2. On top of that
> does it have 8 logical ports. Their default names are L1, L2, .. L8.
> Each logical port is assigned to a physical port. The default is odd
> numbers to P1 and even numbers to P2.

is that documented somewhere? What's the use of logical ports? So you
can
switch printers on the physical port?

Quote:> Mr. Teuben - Which version of the firmware are you using ? (That info is
> available in the PSINF file, which can be downloaded from the PS110
> through FTP.)

what username/password should i use?  I was not aware it had an ftp
server, very cute. telnet also, it simply monitors the port.

- peter

Post by Dennis Henrikse » Tue, 22 Jan 2002 18:27:01

>>The names of the ports is actually configurable. The PS110 has two
>>physical ports, which by default are called P1 and P2. On top of that
>>does it have 8 logical ports. Their default names are L1, L2, .. L8.
>>Each logical port is assigned to a physical port. The default is odd
>>numbers to P1 and even numbers to P2.

> is that documented somewhere? What's the use of logical ports? So you
> can
> switch printers on the physical port?

It is actually documented in the PS104/PS105/PS110 reference manual -
available from NetGears support pages. As to the usage of the logical
ports - Judging from the configuration options, you may setup different
initializations, different handling of line-feed etc.

Apropos the so-called reference manual - It contains an appendix, which
is supposed to document the CONFIG file, but NetGear has chosen only to
document a subset, namely the onfiuration options pertatining to TCP/IP
and some of the parallel port related options. As you'll see there are
some other options, for which some sort of doc is called for.

Quote:

>>Mr. Teuben - Which version of the firmware are you using ? (That info is
>>available in the PSINF file, which can be downloaded from the PS110
>>through FTP.)

> what username/password should i use?  I was not aware it had an ftp
> server, very cute. telnet also, it simply monitors the port.

The username is the same as the boxname, listed on the bottom of the
box, and no password - As far as I recall that is the factory default.

Quote:> - peter

/Dennis

1. Problem with netgear print server on wrong side of Linux router

I've got a Netgear PS110 print server (address of 192.168.0.3)  on one
network segment (192.168.0.0) which works just fine. When I try to access
this from another segment (192.168.0.64) via the Netgear print server
software, this print server isn't visible. Pinging the IP address works
fine, and the same machine moved to the .0 segment works fine. (The client
machine is a win-nt laptop)

I'm using a stock RedHat 5.2 machine with 2 ethernet cards, and IP
forwarding turned on as the router between the segments, and I have no other
routing problems between the segments.

The problem seems to be that the Netgear software uses something weird that
won't go through the Linux router (as it is configured), or it could be that
the Netgear server must be on the same segment (seems unlikely as the
configuration includes a default gateway).

The documentation doesn't give me enough hints to proceed. Does anyone have
any ideas?

Thanks

Robb

2. Sun front key for olvwm

3. solaris, hp laserjet and netgear print server

4. Building KDE 1.1 on Solaris

5. Netgear print server

6. Etherjet configuration

7. netgear print server PS110 w/ two printers?

8. pthread_create question

9. Netgear Print Server Password Mystery

10. Linux print client with *Linux* print server

11. Netgear linux and netgear DG824MI

12. Matrox Mystique ands X.

13. Server will not print to a Linksys EPSX3 Print Server