touchpads in Linux

Post by Faheem Mith » Sun, 21 Sep 2003 12:11:18

Dear people,

I'm trying to find a good touchpad (as a standalone device) to use
with Linux in the place of a regular mouse. After spending quite a lot
of time surfing the web, I am more confused than ever.

The best general reference I found
http://www.tifaq.org/mice/touchpads.html

The main touchpads available all seem to have the name Glidepoint. The
major manufacturer of these appears to be Cirque, which has the
Easycat, Smartcat etc. However, Cirque has also licensed the
technology to Alps, which makes their own Glidepoint.

Strangely enough, the information I was able to find with regard to
Linux was mostly about the Alps version, though the Cirques seem to be
the most popular. I found traces of a driver someone has written for
the Cirque *cat series, called Kitcat, but the main site seems to be
defunct.

To further confuse things, there appears to be something called the
Adesso Smartcat. I am not sure what this is.

If you are using one of these products under Linux, I'd be greatly
obliged if you could tell me how well it works, and whether you would
recommend it for use under Linux. Thanks.

Please feel free to cc any reply to my email address if you wish.

                                                                 Faheem.

touchpads in Linux

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 21 Sep 2003 17:14:26

> Dear people,

> I'm trying to find a good touchpad (as a standalone device) to use
> with Linux in the place of a regular mouse. After spending quite a lot
> of time surfing the web, I am more confused than ever.

> The best general reference I found
> http://www.tifaq.org/mice/touchpads.html

> The main touchpads available all seem to have the name Glidepoint. The
> major manufacturer of these appears to be Cirque, which has the
> Easycat, Smartcat etc. However, Cirque has also licensed the
> technology to Alps, which makes their own Glidepoint.

> If you are using one of these products under Linux, I'd be greatly
> obliged if you could tell me how well it works, and whether you would
> recommend it for use under Linux. Thanks.

> Please feel free to cc any reply to my email address if you wish.

>                                                                  Faheem.

I have an old 3-button Alps Desktop Glidepoint (not sure if Alps is still
selling them).  You only need to tell to tell gpm (for console) or X that
it is a Glidepoint if you want to use special features (double-tap to
select).  Otherwise it works fine without doing anything special if you do
not what or need the double-tap.  Although, I guess my SuSE 8.2 recognized
it during install and put this in its XF86Config:

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver       "mouse"
  Identifier   "Mouse[1]"
  Option       "Device" "/dev/psaux"
  Option       "InputFashion" "Mouse"
  Option       "Name" "PS/2-Mouse;GlidePointPS/2"
  Option       "Protocol" "GlidePointPS/2"
  Option       "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

I also have a 2-button Fellows Glidepoint - Standard Touchpad 99840 which
seems to have internal circuitry for the double tap to select.  I do not
recall if this is from Cirque.  In SuSE 7.3 it works fine as a totally
standard ps/2 mouse (Emulate3Buttons is needed because it only has 2):

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver       "mouse"
  Identifier   "Mouse[1]"
  Option       "Device" "/dev/psaux"
  Option       "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
  Option       "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
  Option       "InputFashion" "Mouse"
  Option       "Name" "AutoDetected"
  Option       "Protocol" "ps/2"
  Option       "Vendor" "AutoDetected"
EndSection

The built-in touchpad on my laptop works just like the Fellows as standard
ps/2 mouse (SuSE 8.0):

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver       "mouse"
  Identifier   "Mouse[1]"
  Option       "ButtonNumber" "2"
  Option       "Device" "/dev/mouse"
  Option       "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
  Option       "Name" "AutoDetected"
  Option       "Protocol" "ps/2"
  Option       "Vendor" "AutoDetected"
EndSection

touchpads in Linux

Post by Faheem Mith » Mon, 22 Sep 2003 00:15:04

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:14:26 +0000 (UTC), David Efflandt

>> Dear people,

>> I'm trying to find a good touchpad (as a standalone device) to use
>> with Linux in the place of a regular mouse. After spending quite a lot
>> of time surfing the web, I am more confused than ever.

>> The best general reference I found
>> http://www.tifaq.org/mice/touchpads.html

>> The main touchpads available all seem to have the name Glidepoint. The
>> major manufacturer of these appears to be Cirque, which has the
>> Easycat, Smartcat etc. However, Cirque has also licensed the
>> technology to Alps, which makes their own Glidepoint.

>> If you are using one of these products under Linux, I'd be greatly
>> obliged if you could tell me how well it works, and whether you would
>> recommend it for use under Linux. Thanks.

>> Please feel free to cc any reply to my email address if you wish.

>>                                                                  Faheem.

> I have an old 3-button Alps Desktop Glidepoint (not sure if Alps is still
> selling them).  You only need to tell to tell gpm (for console) or X that
> it is a Glidepoint if you want to use special features (double-tap to
> select).  Otherwise it works fine without doing anything special if you do
> not what or need the double-tap.  Although, I guess my SuSE 8.2 recognized
> it during install and put this in its XF86Config:

> Section "InputDevice"
>   Driver       "mouse"
>   Identifier   "Mouse[1]"
>   Option       "Device" "/dev/psaux"
>   Option       "InputFashion" "Mouse"
>   Option       "Name" "PS/2-Mouse;GlidePointPS/2"
>   Option       "Protocol" "GlidePointPS/2"
>   Option       "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection

> I also have a 2-button Fellows Glidepoint - Standard Touchpad 99840 which
> seems to have internal circuitry for the double tap to select.  I do not
> recall if this is from Cirque.  In SuSE 7.3 it works fine as a totally
> standard ps/2 mouse (Emulate3Buttons is needed because it only has 2):

> Section "InputDevice"
>   Driver       "mouse"
>   Identifier   "Mouse[1]"
>   Option       "Device" "/dev/psaux"
>   Option       "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
>   Option       "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
>   Option       "InputFashion" "Mouse"
>   Option       "Name" "AutoDetected"
>   Option       "Protocol" "ps/2"
>   Option       "Vendor" "AutoDetected"
> EndSection

> The built-in touchpad on my laptop works just like the Fellows as standard
> ps/2 mouse (SuSE 8.0):

> Section "InputDevice"
>   Driver       "mouse"
>   Identifier   "Mouse[1]"
>   Option       "ButtonNumber" "2"
>   Option       "Device" "/dev/mouse"
>   Option       "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
>   Option       "Name" "AutoDetected"
>   Option       "Protocol" "ps/2"
>   Option       "Vendor" "AutoDetected"
> EndSection

Thanks for the information. I've got the impression that the Cirque
touchpads are the best in terms of quality. Therefore, I'd be very
interested in hearing about how well they work under Linux. In
particular, I wonder if the "GlidePoint PS/2" protocol can also be
used with the Cirques in X. I could not find anything about this on
the net.

Yes, my impression is that the Alps are not easy to find on retail,
but one could probably pick one up from Ebay or somewhere.

                                                        Faheem.