kde upgrade...too many damn icons

Post by Tom » Tue, 05 Oct 1999 04:00:00

what happens when you delete them all, originals and duplicates?

Quote:> i upgraded to kde 1.1.2, however, now i have two sets of most of the

Post by Walter Franci » Tue, 05 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > i upgraded to kde 1.1.2, however, now i have two sets of most of the
> > icons on the desktop...two home icons, two printer icons, two floppy
> > icons, etc. any suggestions on t* it down to one set?  even when
> > i delete the duplicates, they reappear when i restart X.  thanks, jimmy

This might be related to my problem, which I haven't really fixed yet..
I have the 'normal' kpanel setup for 2 virtual desktops, without
automatic border switching, so it doesn't confuse my less
computer-versed wife.  Well, no matter what I did in my own personal
panel configuration, every time I restart KDE my login gets the same
kpanel setup on the desktops, but switching works.  I have to go into
the panel configuration and widen to 4 desktops and give them names
(1-4).  Permissions are good in my ~/.kde directory.

I am gonna try deleting the main kpanelrc file and recreate it, maybe
that will fix it.  I upgraded from 1.1.1.

--
Walter Francis
http://www.veryComputer.com/                      Powered by RedHat 6.0

Post by J. Blai » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00

i upgraded to kde 1.1.2, however, now i have two sets of most of the
icons on the desktop...two home icons, two printer icons, two floppy
icons, etc. any suggestions on t* it down to one set?  even when
i delete the duplicates, they reappear when i restart X.  thanks, jimmy

Before you buy.

kde upgrade...too many damn icons

Post by Rusty Pywtora » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00

This is from mandrakeuser.org:

"KDE displays duplicate icons after upgrade (by Francis Galiegue): "

Do, as root: find /usr/share/applnk -name "*rpmsave" -type f -exec rm -f {}
\;

In my case, I found that this was due to a problem with case sensitivity, ie
the original icons were uppercase as in CDROM.LNK and the regenerating ones
were lower case, ie cdrom.kdelnk

The new lowercase ones appear to come from /etc/skel

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in KDE can explain.

Rusty

Post by Joris Esc » Thu, 07 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>i upgraded to kde 1.1.2, however, now i have two sets of most of the
>icons on the desktop...two home icons, two printer icons, two floppy
>icons, etc. any suggestions on t* it down to one set?  even when
>i delete the duplicates, they reappear when i restart X.  thanks, jimmy

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
>Before you buy.

Go to $KDEDIR/share/applnk and delete whatever is double.

You're posting in the WRONG newsgroup.