Help!!! X-Windows and SiS 5596

Post by Simon Huggin » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to install X-Windows on RedHat Linux 5.1, and have tried the
default VGA and SVGA drivers, but I get the message that there is not enough
memory available - ie. 0Kb. This is probably because I have to allocate a
portion (from 128Kb - 2Mb) of main system memory to the Video Card - the
card itself has NO on-board memory. Is there any way around this anybody?
I'd be very grateful for some help on this.

Also, I am trying to install the Audiodrive 1868 Card on Linux, but cannot
get any of the setting to work, despite trying to work from my Windows 95
System Setup printout. Any Ideas?

Many Thanks,

Simon Huggins, England.

Help!!! X-Windows and SiS 5596

Post by Guenther Wiese » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Maybe you want to try the X-Servers from SuSE, which support the SiS
chipsets
http://www.suse.de
http://www.suse.com

--
Gnther Wieser
creative-it/Gnther Wieser Software KEG

Help!!! X-Windows and SiS 5596

Post by Ken McCor » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Do a DejaNews search for my step-by-step instructions on setting up this
chipset.  Article was posted in December.

Ken McCord

Quote:>I am trying to install X-Windows on RedHat Linux 5.1, and have tried the
>default VGA and SVGA drivers, but I get the message that there is not
enough
>memory available - ie. 0Kb. This is probably because I have to allocate a
>portion (from 128Kb - 2Mb) of main system memory to the Video Card - the
>card itself has NO on-board memory. Is there any way around this anybody?
>I'd be very grateful for some help on this.

>Also, I am trying to install the Audiodrive 1868 Card on Linux, but cannot
>get any of the setting to work, despite trying to work from my Windows 95
>System Setup printout. Any Ideas?

>Many Thanks,

>Simon Huggins, England.

Help!!! X-Windows and SiS 5596

Yep, that will do it. SUSE driver and SUSU xf86config will do the trick.