Voice modem recommendations?

Post by hmccu.. » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 06:03:06

My wish is to receive messages via phone and allow the
caller to either leave a voice message or activate my pager
(which will receive e-mail).

I believe I've found software at
http://vocp.sourceforge.net/

However, the documentation there tells me to read the documentation
that comes with vgetty.  But the file
/usr/share/doc/mgetty-1.1.25/Recommend
in Red Hat 7.1 is dated 14 Mar 1999

My inclination is to go with something from Multitech (as I've
used their modems in the past).  But the file warns me to watch
out for new revs of the chip...  I guess 2 years later, the new
revs aren't very new.

So, I'm trying to read everything I can before rushing out and
buying a new modem.  The problem is I can't find any new information
related to Linux.  I note that Multitech has some new modems...

Anyone have suggestions or recommendations?
Any success or horror stories?

Voice modem recommendations?

Post by Vladimir Florinsk » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 15:20:21

Quote:> My wish is to receive messages via phone and allow the caller to either
> leave a voice message or activate my pager (which will receive e-mail).

> I believe I've found software at
> http://vocp.sourceforge.net/

> However, the documentation there tells me to read the documentation that
> comes with vgetty.  But the file /usr/share/doc/mgetty-1.1.25/Recommend
> in Red Hat 7.1 is dated 14 Mar 1999

I don't think their docs are that recent. The man pages are dated 1995 -
1997. I should say however, that vgetty is improving with each release, so
it's not as if the developers are idle, they just don't care about writing
the docs (not a very good thing, of course).

Quote:> My inclination is to go with something from Multitech (as I've used
> their modems in the past).  But the file warns me to watch out for new
> revs of the chip...  I guess 2 years later, the new revs aren't very
> new.

> So, I'm trying to read everything I can before rushing out and buying a
> new modem.  The problem is I can't find any new information related to
> Linux.  I note that Multitech has some new modems...

> Anyone have suggestions or recommendations? Any success or horror
> stories?

My 3Com 2976 works quite well. I bought mine a year ago for $52, and I
think you can still get one these days. If you are still unsure, join the
mgetty mailing list (see http://alpha.greenie.net/mgetty).

--

Vladimir

Voice modem recommendations?

Post by Commerce1to1.c » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 17:46:38

About the Multitech MultiVOIP Gateway MVP200 - external VOICE OVER IP,
you could click here and then request additional info. by phone about
this modem:

http://www.qksrv.net/click-749737-973006
You can also get a good idea about prices here...
----------

> My wish is to receive messages via phone and allow the
> caller to either leave a voice message or activate my pager
> (which will receive e-mail).

> I believe I've found software at
> http://vocp.sourceforge.net/

> However, the documentation there tells me to read the documentation
> that comes with vgetty.  But the file
> /usr/share/doc/mgetty-1.1.25/Recommend
> in Red Hat 7.1 is dated 14 Mar 1999

> My inclination is to go with something from Multitech (as I've
> used their modems in the past).  But the file warns me to watch
> out for new revs of the chip...  I guess 2 years later, the new
> revs aren't very new.

> So, I'm trying to read everything I can before rushing out and
> buying a new modem.  The problem is I can't find any new information
> related to Linux.  I note that Multitech has some new modems...

> Anyone have suggestions or recommendations?
> Any success or horror stories?

1. 56K/V90 fax/voice modem recommendation needed

Howdy,

I want to buy a new 56k/V90 fax/voice modem for Linux which should

a) receive fax/voice mail even if the computer is not running
b) flash ROM without using a Mickysoft-prog
c) have good performance

Did I say that it should run with Linux? :)

I heard from a modem from USR and Elsa, both have the capability to receive
fax/voice mail even if the computer is not running.

OK, any recommendations/comments?

Thanks in advance!

Sascha

2. 3-legged firewall, internal to dmz problem

3. 56k voice modem recommendation?

4. Caldera Open Linux Mouse Problem

5. Voice modem recommendation for vgetty

6. printing a DrawingArea

7. Modem Recommendation for Mgetty-voice

8. SSA Disk Cabling

9. Recommendation for Data/Fax/Voice Modem for Redhat 9

10. Voice modem - any recommendation?

11. Voice Modem Voice Mail Suggestion

12. Any voice mail apps for Sportster 28.8 Voice Mail modem?

13. Looking for voice modem that can dial while already connected (in voice mode)