Help with SMC EtherPower and PCI BIOS

Post by Francis Louis Fabriz » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to use the SMC PCI EtherPower to install a linux system via
NFS (using Slackware install disks).  Unfortunately, every time I try to
boot using any of the scsi net bootdisks, I get errors that read:

eth0: e2wk_probe: Device already registered at 0x2e3

or something similar to that three times in a row, and the eth card is
never recognized.

Now, I think this is a PCI BIOS setting problem.  I changed the slot
three (where the card is) default INT# from Auto to A, at which point
only one of eight boot disks will recognize it (scsinet1).
Unfortunately, I cant use that once because my Adaptec 2940 SCSI
controller isnt supported on that bootdisk.

I dont know much about PCI BIOS settings and the manual is useless.  Can
anyone think of some things for me to try that might help?

Help with SMC EtherPower and PCI BIOS

Post by Jason Hei » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I am trying to use the SMC PCI EtherPower to install a linux system via
>NFS (using Slackware install disks).  Unfortunately, every time I try to
>boot using any of the scsi net bootdisks, I get errors that read:

>eth0: e2wk_probe: Device already registered at 0x2e3
>or something similar to that three times in a row, and the eth card is
>never recognized.
>Now, I think this is a PCI BIOS setting problem.  I changed the slot
>three (where the card is) default INT# from Auto to A, at which point
>only one of eight boot disks will recognize it (scsinet1).
>Unfortunately, I cant use that once because my Adaptec 2940 SCSI
>controller isnt supported on that bootdisk.

>I dont know much about PCI BIOS settings and the manual is useless.  Can
>anyone think of some things for me to try that might help?

I think the problem is simply that none of the Slackware install disks
have support for the EtherPower compiled into the kernel.  If you want
to install via NFS you'll probably have to get enough of a system
installed via floppies to compile a kernel with support for the net
card and then continue the installation.  You'll want to get the source
for the latest 2.0 kernel though because support for the EtherPower
wasn't added until the late 1.3's.  Hope this helps.

Jason

1. Help with SMC EtherPower and PCI BIOS

I am trying to use the SMC PCI EtherPower to install a linux system via
NFS (using Slackware install disks).  Unfortunately, every time I try to
boot using any of the scsi net bootdisks, I get errors that read:

eth0: e2wk_probe: Device already registered at 0x2e3

or something similar to that three times in a row, and the eth card is
never recognized.

Now, I think this is a PCI BIOS setting problem.  I changed the slot
three (where the card is) default INT# from Auto to A, at which point
only one of eight boot disks will recognize it (scsinet1).
Unfortunately, I cant use that once because my Adaptec 2940 SCSI
controller isnt supported on that bootdisk.

I dont know much about PCI BIOS settings and the manual is useless.  Can
anyone think of some things for me to try that might help?

2. problem with building a customized kernel

3. SCO Unix Mail & The Internet

4. Help: Net installation bootdisk for 2940UW and SMC etherpower PCI card

5. Save and Open

6. help setting up SMC etherpower pci with a 21041 chip.

7. solaris 2.3 to 2.4 upgrade experience?

8. need help with SMC Etherpower PCI card

9. help setting up SMC etherpower pci with a 21041 chip.

10. need help with SMC Etherpower PCI card [REPOST]

11. Need help with an SMC EtherPower PCI card!!

12. SMC EtherPower (PCI)