HPT366 Lockup Problem

Post by Chri » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi
I have an Abit BE6 with the onboard HPT366 controllers which I am trying to
get to work in Linux.
I have just applied the ide patch to the 2.2.12 kernel to allow the use of
the HPT366 controllers. Everything compiles fine, but on rebooting (using
loadlin) the boot sequence locks up. It detects the HPT controllers fine
and reports the chains ok...setting them to ide2 & ide3...but once it's
done that it locks up just where it would report the drive parameters
(cylinders, heads etc...). It reports my hda1 drive (Quantum FB SE 8.4GB)
fine but locks up where it would pick up the next drive (it's a Quantum FB
+KA 18.2GB).

I've already checked out http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b6506063/hpt366/ for
the basic info.

Anyone else come across this problem and got round it?

Thanks for any help.

Chris

HPT366 Lockup Problem

Post by Susan C. Korp » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Hi
> I have an Abit BE6 with the onboard HPT366 controllers which I am trying to
> get to work in Linux.
> I have just applied the ide patch to the 2.2.12 kernel to allow the use of
> the HPT366 controllers. Everything compiles fine, but on rebooting (using
> loadlin) the boot sequence locks up. It detects the HPT controllers fine
> and reports the chains ok...setting them to ide2 & ide3...but once it's
> done that it locks up just where it would report the drive parameters
> (cylinders, heads etc...). It reports my hda1 drive (Quantum FB SE 8.4GB)
> fine but locks up where it would pick up the next drive (it's a Quantum FB
> +KA 18.2GB).

> I've already checked out http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b6506063/hpt366/ for
> the basic info.

> Anyone else come across this problem and got round it?

> Thanks for any help.

> Chris.

Hi back,
    I'm running a BE6 with a 2.2.10 patched kernel.  It works fine, but I
needed to give the boot parameters "pci=reverse ide0=0xb000,0xb402,11" to make
it work.  I'm not sure that  the "ide0.." is necessary, but it works.  This
winds up assigning my hard drive to ide0 and my cdrom to ide2 (hdg).
According to "hdparm", I get better than 16 Mb/sec disk transfer rates.

1. Kernel 2.2.21 aic7xxx lockup or kernel lockup

Hello,

**** Please BCC me in on any reply, not CC me.
Two reasons, I am not on the Mailing List,
and second I am suffering BIG time with SPAM
from posting to mailing lists/Newsgroups.
Instructions on real address at bottom.
Thanks in advance. *****

Could somone advise me what I need to do to obtain the details of a
aic7xxx module lockup that happens when using insmod?  I am not sure
what would be helpful data to report here and assist in determining
what is the problem, beyond the obvious system details?

I am now using kernel 2.2.21, and it is a tad better in terms of not
locking up the kernel hard in the different device connected
conditions.  The lockup does not always occur, much depends on if
something is connected to the 2930 or not.  In all cases with a device
connected a hard kernel lockup or module load lockup occur.  In the
latter I can ctrl-c or close the xterm to kill the load.  I tried an
strace but this appears not to provide any detail, at least in my
limited knowledge of the kernel and my techncial read of the strace
data.

The 2930 has no problem with seeing the devices.  The devices work
just fine as I changed to a BusLogic 930 and both scanner and CDWriter
work just fine.  The primary SCSI is a Buslogic 958 that the hard
drives boot off.  I was using the 2930 for external and slow devices.
The 958 remained in, I just swapped the 2930 for the 930.  The
buslogic.o is loaded at boot time from the Initial RAM disk, and there
is no compiled in SCSI driver support, all are modules.

I really appreciate if you bcc me in on your reply so I can avoid the
big SPAM problems that have been snowballing me lately.

Regards,

John L. Males
Willowdale, Ontario
Canada
29 June 2002 16:04

Instructions on real address at bottom.
Thanks in advance. *****

TLD =         The last three letters of the word "internet"
Domain name = The first four letters of the word "software",
              followed by the first four letters of the word
              "homeless".
My appologies in advance for the jumbled eMail address
and request to BCC me, but SPAM has become a very serious
problem.  The eMail address in my header information is
not a valid eMail address for me.  I needed to use a valid
domain due to ISP SMTP screen rules.

  application_pgp-signature_part
< 1K Download

2. Terminal emulator in Linux

3. HPT366 + IBM 13.5 GB 7200rpm ATA66 problem ...

4. .htaccess using /etc/passwd

5. Re : Sharing Interrupt+HPT366 Problem on BP6

6. in ksh, can't find source command?

7. HPT366 Problem?

8. Basic ls(1) Question

9. ABit; HPT366; Linux 7 Install problems

10. hpt366 patch problem

11. small problem w/ hpt366, could use guidence

12. BP6 / HPT366 Problems?

13. Abit HPT366 Problems PLEASE HELP!!!