Linux and a 8088

Post by Blake Thompso » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hey guys, I thought I'd run this one through the group and see if anyone
had any ideas.  I've got this old Compaq portable which I believe to be an
8088 (but it could be a 286).  Anyway, my question is what micro
distribution to put on it.  I've checked out LOAF, Tom's, muLinux,
DOSLinux, etc, etc.  They all seem to require a 386 w/ 4MB RAM.
I've got a 20 MB Hard Drive to work with, so it doesn't _necessarily_ have
to fit on a floppy, but the micro-distributions seem to have the least
stringent system requirements.

Anyone have any ideas on a compatible release?

Blake

(Do not reply directly to the above address, remove non-lowercase letters
for valid address)

Linux and a 8088

Post by Richard Payn » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

You may want to have a look at ELKS

http://www.linux.org.uk/ELKS-Home/index.html

--
Rich Payne
(Speaking for myself, not my employer)

Looking for Alpha-Linux info?
http://www.alphalinux.org

>Hey guys, I thought I'd run this one through the group and see if anyone
>had any ideas.  I've got this old Compaq portable which I believe to be an
>8088 (but it could be a 286).  Anyway, my question is what micro
>distribution to put on it.  I've checked out LOAF, Tom's, muLinux,
>DOSLinux, etc, etc.  They all seem to require a 386 w/ 4MB RAM.
>I've got a 20 MB Hard Drive to work with, so it doesn't _necessarily_ have
>to fit on a floppy, but the micro-distributions seem to have the least
>stringent system requirements.

>Anyone have any ideas on a compatible release?

>Blake

>(Do not reply directly to the above address, remove non-lowercase letters
>for valid address)

Linux and a 8088

Post by Frank Ha » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

[Snipped]

Quote:>: I have heard that some people are working on a possible solution
>: to get it to work on a 286.  Right off hand, I can't think what
>: it is called.

>???

I think the project is called ELKS.  Someone mentioned this previously
in this thread.

>: I have also seen people mention "minix" but I don't know anything
>: about it or what its requirements are.

>Minix is a more or less experimental Unix-like operating system
>especially for educational purposes. It was written by Prof. Andrew

>about operating systems.

>On the web, the official Minix home page is
>http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/minix.html .
>You can also download the complete system from there.

>The hardware requirements are very liberal. Even an 8088 with 640 kBytes
>of RAM is enough. A hard disk is not necessarily required, but if you want
>to recompile the whole system, a 30 MByte hard drive is enough.

Thanks for the info.

--
Frank Hahn

Linux and a 8088

Post by GBP » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Linux uses the 386 or higher, thats just the way it is.  The 386 was a
gaint leap over the 286 and has instructions that make linuxs multi
tasking work as well as it does.
Linux has been ported to several chips like PowerPC but not to 286... a
286 port would be difficult and pointless...

IF you look im sure you can get a nice 386 or 486 mainboard and cpu and
ram for like $15-$40... not so bad is it?

> Hey guys, I thought I'd run this one through the group and see if anyone
> had any ideas.  I've got this old Compaq portable which I believe to be an
> 8088 (but it could be a 286).  Anyway, my question is what micro
> distribution to put on it.  I've checked out LOAF, Tom's, muLinux,
> DOSLinux, etc, etc.  They all seem to require a 386 w/ 4MB RAM.
> I've got a 20 MB Hard Drive to work with, so it doesn't _necessarily_ have
> to fit on a floppy, but the micro-distributions seem to have the least
> stringent system requirements.

> Anyone have any ideas on a compatible release?

> Blake

> (Do not reply directly to the above address, remove non-lowercase letters
> for valid address)

Linux and a 8088

Post by Paul Hovnania » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> > Hey guys, I thought I'd run this one through the group and see if anyone
> > had any ideas.  I've got this old Compaq portable which I believe to be an
> > 8088 (but it could be a 286).  Anyway, my question is what micro
> > distribution to put on it.  I've checked out LOAF, Tom's, muLinux,
> > DOSLinux, etc, etc.  They all seem to require a 386 w/ 4MB RAM.
> > I've got a 20 MB Hard Drive to work with, so it doesn't _necessarily_ have
> > to fit on a floppy, but the micro-distributions seem to have the least
> > stringent system requirements.

Well, if you have too much time on your hands, anything is possible:

http://www.seanet.com/~paulh/8088.jpg

Matter can not be created or destroyed, nor can it be returned
without a receipt.

Linux and a 8088

Post by Lew Pitch » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>> > Hey guys, I thought I'd run this one through the group and see if anyone
>> > had any ideas.  I've got this old Compaq portable which I believe to be an
>> > 8088 (but it could be a 286).  Anyway, my question is what micro
>> > distribution to put on it.  I've checked out LOAF, Tom's, muLinux,
>> > DOSLinux, etc, etc.  They all seem to require a 386 w/ 4MB RAM.
>> > I've got a 20 MB Hard Drive to work with, so it doesn't _necessarily_ have
>> > to fit on a floppy, but the micro-distributions seem to have the least
>> > stringent system requirements.

>Well, if you have too much time on your hands, anything is possible:

IIRC, Linux can't be run natively on anything less than an 80386.

If you really want a unix clone on an 8088 or 80286, and you can't hack

support.

Lew Pitcher
Joat-in-training

Post by rob.. » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> IIRC, Linux can't be run natively on anything less than an 80386.

Thats not true... you can run linux on a palmpilot, for example.. :)
Check out ELKS[1] if you want to run on an 8088.

robert

[1] http://www.linux.org.uk/ELKS-Home/index.html

--

Linux and a 8088

Post by Norm Dresne » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> IIRC, Linux can't be run natively on anything less than an 80386.

> If you really want a unix clone on an 8088 or 80286, and you can't hack

> support.

> Lew Pitcher
> Joat-in-training

        IIRC, there was something called the "Embedded Linux Kernel" whose goal
was to run on an IBM XT.  Look at
        http://www.uk.linux.org/ELKS-Home/index.html

        Norm

1. slow connection between terminal(8088) and linux box via serial

I connected a 8088 running kermit to a linux box via serial port. I'm
using getty-ps. the connection is working but is slow(10 to 12 char
burst about every 20 secs.) kermit is set with 9600 8n1 vt100 and the
getty is set for 9600.

does anyone know why this is happening?

2. 2.4.19-xx USB-HID Bug ?!?

3. Linux on 8088

4. voyager sysrq usage

5. 8088 XT SLIP,PPP,PLIP to Linux machine possibly??

6. lots of clicks and noise when USB headset behind USB hub (only in Linux).

7. Linux on 8088

8. "Pseudo-bridge" possible in Linux?

9. 8/16 bit Linux for 8088/8086

10. Linux on 8088

11. 8088 XT SLIP,PPP,PLIP to Linux machine possibly??

12. Connecting and 8088 to my Linux box via serial ports

13. 8088 XT SLIP,PPP,PLIP to Linux machine possibly??