GSI IDE Controllers (yeah/neah)?

Post by Daniel Scott Schud » Wed, 09 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I want to buy a Seagate Hard Drive that will come bundled with the GSI 21
IDE controller.  Compatibility *should* not be a problem...

But I would rather know if people have good or bad reviews for these
cards...

Dan

 Daniel Scott Schudel #### (919) 510-0385 #### EE '96 #### Real Geeks Use VI!

 ##### http://www4.ncsu.edu/eos/users/d/dsschude/.link.html/index.html ######
Geek Code     GE -d+(+) H+ s+:- !g p? !au>+ a21 w+ v>+ C+++(++)>$ P++++$ 3- Y+

              !5 j !G !tv b+ D+ B-- e+>++++ u*+(-) h*+ f+ r++ n---->++ y? t+

GSI IDE Controllers (yeah/neah)?

Post by Dmitri Sergatsk » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I want to buy a Seagate Hard Drive that will come bundled with the GSI 21
>IDE controller.  Compatibility *should* not be a problem...

>But I would rather know if people have good or bad reviews for these
>cards...

I got GSI 18 when I bought WD harddrive from Insight (did not ask, but
they send it anyway).
I was not be able to boot Linux with it.
Computer would self reboot (even on 'bare' disk) during bootup...

Quote:

>Dan

Regards!
Dmitri.

1. GSI IDE controller vs. LILO?

I'm using a '486 computer, with two IDE hard drives controlled by
a GSI Model 32 disk controller.  The controller also handles
my 1.44 and 1.2 Mb floppy drives.

My GSI 2HD/2FD disk controller has it's own on-board BIOS,
and I have begun to suspect that Linux installation software
may not properly interface with a non-system, extended, BIOS
responsible for disk i/o.

Short version:

Are GSI controllers, with extended BIOSes,
known to be compatible with the current kernels & LILO?

Longer version:

I succeed in booting the bare.i (IDE-only) 3.5" boot disk from the
Slackware 3.1.0 distribution.  I enter no other command line
parameters to be forwarded to the kernel.  When prompted, I
place a root disk into the drive and press return.  NOTHING
HAPPENS.  No light blink on the drive, no nothing.  I've tried
text-only root disks, the color root disk, even the rescue root
disk.

I notice the boot disk (bare.i in this case) uses LILO, so I've
read the LILO manual over the last few days.  Section 1.3.1
(page 9 & 10) indicate that the hardware BIOS needs to assist
LILO in retrieving the boot.b file, the map, and the kernels.

Key point:  my standard AMI BIOS does *not* know of the two
floppy drives in the system.  I specify that drive A: and B:
are "not installed" in the CMOS setup.  Only the GSI BIOS
extension knows of the floppy drives.

Question:  Is LILO making some BIOS calls that are peculiar
to standard system BIOSes (page F000 and above?).  My GSI
BIOS resides at page E000, and, having exhausted all other
ideas, I'm believing that GSI BIOS services may not be
sufficient after the boot/root disk swap to proceed.

What is the executing code at the time of the boot/root disk swap?
Is LILO running?  Is LILO finished?  Is it the kernel on the
boot disk that doesn't know how to talk through my GSI BIOS?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

--
 Brian J. Mork, 4504-C Juniper, USAFA, CO 80840, 719-472-0707

    http://www.pcisys.net/~mork/

2. Help rpm problem

3. LINUX & 1 GID IDE using GSI controller

4. Making a Bootable RootDisk ?

5. Help! (GSI Model 32 IDE controller)

6. Changing passwords without prompting via a "C" program or UNIX script

7. GSI model 32 IDE Controller + Slack 3.0

8. Named pipes and orphaned processes

9. Kernel or LILO vs GSI IDE Controller?

10. Problem: Linux fdisk won't see GSI model 18 IDE controller

11. LINUX fdisk won't see GSI model 18 IDE controller

12. gsi IDE controller

13. Linux fdisk won't see GSI model 18 IDE controller