Intel motherboard, BIOS, adaptec U320 compatibility

Intel motherboard, BIOS, adaptec U320 compatibility

Post by Haines Brow » Sun, 09 Nov 2003 23:39:25

I need some general advice on where to turn.

I have an Intel D850MVL motherboard (purchased in Jan 2002), for which
I flashed the BIOS to P05 when I got it. This September I was forced
to replace my hard disk, and the standard now is Ultra 320, so that's
what I got. Since my old Adaptec SCSI adaptor was Ultra 160, I
purchased the Adaptec 29320LP-R.

However, this combination did not work. Adaptec (after a lot of
song-and-dance about not supporting Linux), suggested that the problem
was probably that my MB BIOS was too old to support Ultra 320.

The Intel web site tells me that that it no longer supports my
motherboard, and that seems to include being able to download the
latest BIOS flash utility for it.

That left me running my Ultra 320 HD on an Ultra 160 adapter. I want
to correct this, but see no way to upgrade by MB BIOS (and I'm not
entirely convinced Adaptec was correct). It almost sounds like I'm
being forced to upgrade my motherboard. Can anyone suggest alternative
ways to get my HD connected to the Ultra 320 adapter?

--
      Haines Brown

        www.hartford-hwp.com

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Mon, 10 Nov 2003 01:33:08

> I need some general advice on where to turn.

> I have an Intel D850MVL motherboard (purchased in Jan 2002), for which
> I flashed the BIOS to P05 when I got it. This September I was forced
> to replace my hard disk, and the standard now is Ultra 320, so that's
> what I got. Since my old Adaptec SCSI adaptor was Ultra 160, I
> purchased the Adaptec 29320LP-R.

> However, this combination did not work.

[snip]

Quote:> That left me running my Ultra 320 HD on an Ultra 160 adapter. I want
> to correct this,

Unless you've got multiple fast drives don't bother.  You won't see any
different between U160 and U320 controllers for a single drive (or even
for two or three drives).

Also, anything above 132MB/sec will saturate normal 32-bit/33MHz PCI.
(AFAICT, that's all the 850MVL motherboard offers.)  Without a 64-bit
PCI bus, even your U160 controller can't reach full potential and U320
certainly won't.

Intel motherboard, BIOS, adaptec U320 compatibility

Post by Trevor Hemsle » Mon, 10 Nov 2003 03:22:09

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 14:39:25 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, Haines

> I need some general advice on where to turn.

> I have an Intel D850MVL motherboard (purchased in Jan 2002), for which
> I flashed the BIOS to P05 when I got it. This September I was forced
> to replace my hard disk, and the standard now is Ultra 320, so that's
> what I got. Since my old Adaptec SCSI adaptor was Ultra 160, I
> purchased the Adaptec 29320LP-R.

A waste of money I'm afraid.

Quote:> However, this combination did not work. Adaptec (after a lot of
> song-and-dance about not supporting Linux), suggested that the problem
> was probably that my MB BIOS was too old to support Ultra 320.

Every response I read from Adaptec's tech support makes me wonder why
people bother with them :-(

Quote:> The Intel web site tells me that that it no longer supports my
> motherboard, and that seems to include being able to download the
> latest BIOS flash utility for it.

Is it this board?
http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv/mv_bios.htm

Latest now appears to be P15.

Quote:> That left me running my Ultra 320 HD on an Ultra 160 adapter. I want
> to correct this, but see no way to upgrade by MB BIOS (and I'm not
> entirely convinced Adaptec was correct). It almost sounds like I'm
> being forced to upgrade my motherboard. Can anyone suggest alternative
> ways to get my HD connected to the Ultra 320 adapter?

Your PCI bus is only 32bit, 33MHz so its available bandwidth is
132MB/s and by the time you account for overheads, you're unlikely to
see more than about 100MB/s from it. This is less than the bandwidth
that a U160 adapter requires so even that is bottlenecked. To use more
bandwidth than this, you need a motherboard with 64 bit PCI slots
which would give you 264MB/s for a 33MHz slot or 528MB/s for a 66MHz
slot. Since the fastest single hard disk at present won't pull more
than about 80MB/s and then only on benchmarks there seems little point
in upgrading anything if you only have a single hard disk attached to
it. The only time you'd be even likely to try to transfer data more
quickly than this is if the data is in the cache onboard the disk -
and if the disk's cache is 8MB then that's about 1/10th of a second's
worth at 80MB/s or  1/40th of a second at U320 so it doesn't make a
huge difference - can you perceive a difference between 1/10th of a
second and 1/40th?

My advice: sell the U320 board and use the U160. You aren't losing
anything except a troublesome adapter ;-) and perhaps a bit of cash
:-(

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

Post by Haines Brow » Mon, 10 Nov 2003 05:04:57

> On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 14:39:25 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, Haines

> > I need some general advice on where to turn.

> > Since my old Adaptec SCSI adaptor was Ultra 160, I
> > purchased the Adaptec 29320LP-R.

> A waste of money I'm afraid.

;-( I hope not entirely. I've got some real old SCSI devices*
on the Ultra160 adapter, which may pull everything down, so needed a new
adapter anyway to isolate facter devices. That's my theory, anyway.

However, yYour suggestion to sell it sounds good. I guess I could dump
it into the eBay.

Quote:> Is it this board?
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

Yes it is. I searched the IBM site for some time without finding it,
only thing I found were messages that there is no further support for
the board.

--
      Haines Brown

        www.hartford-hwp.com

1. Linux compatibility with Adaptec AIC-7880 on Intel Providence motherboard?

I am looking into buying a dual pentium pro system to run Linux on.  Most
companies with this configuration use the Adaptec AIC-7880 SCSI controller
built on the Intel Providence motherboard.  I just need to know if Linux
supports this configuration before I spend this much money.

Also, anybody have any opinions on VA Research Linux based computers?  I am
looking at their and it would be nice to hear from somebody who has dealt
with them beofre.

Thanks!

Jason Farnsworth

2. IDE Cdroms, Anyone using them?

3. Intel motherboard / Adaptec RAID compatibility

4. shell script parameters

5. MR BIOS V3.1.2 SHAREWARE BIOS for Intel Zappa Motherboard available

6. Which SMP Kernel for QDI P6I440BX?

7. Adaptec 2940U, Phoenix Bios 4.0, UMC Motherboard, Logitech mouse, D-link 220

8. Installing SUSE LINUX Personal 9.1 on a Gateway 300S

9. Intel motherboard BIOS upgrade causing GRUB failure on RedHat 7.3 Linux boot

10. Intel motherboard (D845PEBT2) compatibility with Linux/FreeBSD?

11. Motherboard (other than Intel, Soyo, Shuttle, and ASUS) compatibility with Linux/FreeBSD?

12. Intel DK440XL motherboard compatibility?

13. Compatibility with Intel i820 motherboard